Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Princess Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old August 15th, 2007, 10:04 AM
Beginner

Default Crown Princess in October out of NY

My boyfriend and I are thinking about the Caribbean cruise out of NY in October that ends in San Juan aboard the Crown Princess? Was wondering if anyone can give us some insight about the ship - We we thinking about possibly booking a balcony room - Whats it like going out of NY in October? How is the ship? Plenty of activities? We are in our mid 20's and its my first time cruising! Hows the food? Staff? The ship in general?
Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Old August 15th, 2007, 02:56 PM
Passenger

Send a message via MSN to RECON
Default October in N.Y.C.

Haven`t cruised Princess out of N.Y.C. but did do NCL, we live in N.Y.C. and nothing beats leaving the harbour in late afternoon and sailing right past The Statue of Liberty,under the Verrazano Bridge and an amazing veiw of Manhattan fading in the distance. I`m jealous,smooth sailing
Old August 15th, 2007, 06:25 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default Re: Crown Princess in October out of NY

Quote:
Originally Posted by travsalot
My boyfriend and I are thinking about the Caribbean cruise out of NY in October that ends in San Juan aboard the Crown Princess? Was wondering if anyone can give us some insight about the ship - We we thinking about possibly booking a balcony room - Whats it like going out of NY in October? How is the ship? Plenty of activities? We are in our mid 20's and its my first time cruising! Hows the food? Staff? The ship in general?
Thanks.
We have yet to sail on the Crown Princess and this will be our first cruise on Princess but we chose this ship, first of all, for the itinerary (New England/Canada) - had the best selection of ports for what we want to see and do. Anyway, we also looked at the fact that this is a newer ship, big ship, lots of activities, lots of dining selections. Food is subjective, some say great, some say okay, some say not so good so I would not make a decision based on that and also have read many reviews that state that Princess is noted for its service. For a first cruise you can't go wrong, IMHO. BTW, we booked a balcony. If our first cruise would have been in a balcony room, we would have been spoiled for all of our subsequent cruises. But, this will be only our second cruise in a balcony cabin. I think that you will be making a great choice. Go to the reviews and read them, especially the professional review. Those on this board are well written, expansive and HONEST. I emphasize that as the positives and negatives are both discussed.

RCCL Monarch of the Seas 5/98
RCCL Majesty of the Seas 1/02
CCL Fascination 10/03
CCL Holiday 11/04
CCL Celebration 5/05
HAL Statendam 5/05
CCL Holiday Xmas/06
Crown Princess 10/07
Old August 16th, 2007, 12:00 PM
Passenger

Hope to see you there. We will be on that Cruise
Old August 16th, 2007, 12:23 PM
Cruise Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by UmbrellaDrink
Hope to see you there. We will be on that Cruise
Look forward to that

Noticed that you are in Abington, PA. Where is that? I grew up near Dubois, if you are familiar with that part of the state.

CCL Fascination 10/03
CCL Holiday 11/04
CCL Celebration 5/05
HAL Statendam 5/05
CCL Holiday Xmas/06
Crown Princess 10/07
Old August 17th, 2007, 10:47 AM
Passenger

Abington is near Philadelphia. Not far from Willow Grove.
Old August 17th, 2007, 11:12 AM
Cruise Maniac

I'm from the other side of the state. Haven't lived there since 1974, so it is always nice to run into people from the ole' home state.

CCL Fascination 10/03
CCL Holiday 11/04
CCL Celebration 5/05
HAL Statendam 5/05
CCL Holiday Xmas/06
Crown Princess 10/07
Old August 17th, 2007, 01:39 PM
Passenger

Let us know if you book the cruise.
Old August 17th, 2007, 03:04 PM
Cruise Maniac

Quote:
We booked this cruise back in January. Made final payment last month, got precruise docs, flights, hotel - we are set! All we have left to do is reserve a car to pick us up at LGA and take us to our hotel in Brooklyn. We are flying in one day before to see a little of NYC prior to sailing.

CCL Fascination 10/03
CCL Holiday 11/04
CCL Celebration 5/05
HAL Statendam 5/05
CCL Holiday Xmas/06
Crown Princess 10/07
Old August 18th, 2007, 07:09 PM
Passenger

My wife and I and five other couples will also be on that cruise.

We have never sailed out of New York and are looking forward to it.

We have sailed on the Grand and Caribbean Princess and loved them
both. All of these ships are similar, however the Crown is slightly different than the Grand and Caribbean and in a good way.

Being in your 20's you will have slightly different taste than us in our 40's, but this ship has something for everyone. A good website to go to is cruisedailies.com. People post their "Princess Patters". Patters is the daily information sheet you receive in your cabin. It list all of the daily activities.
If you like night life their is a disco called skywalkers that is at the very back of the ship on the highest level. I has window all around and you can see everything. There are many bars, shops, etc.... The Crown from what I have read has a wonderful spa where you can get massages, facials etc. if you are into that sort of thing. Princess also has cooking clinics where the head chef prepares food and gives helpful cooking tips.

The great thing about Princess is the freestyle dining option which means you can eat at any time and anywhere you want if you so desire. Most cruiselines have specific seating times for dinner. If it is just the two of you, then freestyle dining is perfect because you won't get stuck with tablemates for the whole week.

Last year on the Caribbean Princess we had our first balcony stateroom and we will never go back to the inside staterooms. The extra space of the balcony and the view you wake up to every morning sets the tone for the rest of the day. In our opinion it is worth the extra money and then some.

Let me know if you have any specific questions!

KennyG
Old August 20th, 2007, 03:13 PM
Passenger

Send a message via MSN to RECON

[quote="Dixie Lee"]
Quote:
We booked this cruise back in January. Made final payment last month, got precruise docs, flights, hotel - we are set! All we have left to do is reserve a car to pick us up at LGA and take us to our hotel in Brooklyn. We are flying in one day before to see a little of NYC prior to sailing.[hope you did your homework on booking a hotel in brooklyn,i`m from there and don`t know of too many hotels in brooklyn.good luck/quote]
Old August 20th, 2007, 03:39 PM
Cruise Maniac

[quote="RECON"]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dixie Lee
Quote:
We booked this cruise back in January. Made final payment last month, got precruise docs, flights, hotel - we are set! All we have left to do is reserve a car to pick us up at LGA and take us to our hotel in Brooklyn. We are flying in one day before to see a little of NYC prior to sailing.[hope you did your homework on booking a hotel in brooklyn,i`m from there and don`t know of too many hotels in brooklyn.good luck/quote]
We made a reservation at the Holiday Inn Express. Our choices were the Best Western which had no rooms available, the Marriot which had nothing left under $300 and so we made a reservation at the Holiday Inn Express. Hope we did not go too wrong. You are right, there were not many choices, but we decided that we would rather stay in Brooklyn than to hassle getting there from somewhere else with all our luggage, etc. and we did not think we could go too wrong with the Holiday Inn.

CCL Fascination 10/03
CCL Holiday 11/04
CCL Celebration 5/05
HAL Statendam 5/05
CCL Holiday Xmas/06
Crown Princess 10/07
Old August 22nd, 2007, 12:04 PM
Passenger

Let us know if you want to meet up on the ship
Old August 22nd, 2007, 12:35 PM
Passenger

We are booked on the Crown for that sailing also.This will be our third time on the Crown.Sailed in June and October.Beautiful ship,good staff,food and entertainment,no complaints.May be a little chilly departing from NY,but by the next morning,should be warm enough for the pools and sunbathing.Hey,unbrella drink-we are from South Jersey,by Cherry Hill,NJ.Looking forward to those first 3 days at sea..WOOHOO...Can"t wait..anyone has any questions about the ship,please contact me.
Old August 22nd, 2007, 02:23 PM
Passenger

How are you getting to the ship? We are planning to take NJ transit from Trenton and taking a cab to Brooklyn. How about if we all meet between 4 and 4:30pm at Skywalkers on the 1st day? Are the hot tubs working on the 1st day? I was thinking of hot tubbing it before we hit the open seas.
Old August 22nd, 2007, 02:36 PM
Passenger

A friend of ours who works for a limo service is renting a van to drive us up to Brooklyn-there are 4 of us sailing that day.I believe that the pools and hot tubs should be filled,but I cannot recall..We are all late 40's/early 50's (me) and we should try and meet up..Is this your first time on Princess?It will be our fifth and our friends first time..
Old August 22nd, 2007, 03:03 PM
Passenger

We are the same age range. This will be our 1st Princess Cruise. We have sailed on Celebrity and Norwegian before.[/list]
Old August 22nd, 2007, 03:34 PM
Passenger

I think you will enjoy Princess.We have sailed Celebrity and Norwegian 3 times.I should mention I am a TA in the area and part of my job is travelling on the different lines,but I personally prefer Princess.The atrium and the International cafe on the Crown are wonderful.The cafe has a great price on 3 scoops of delicious gelato for $1.50-we were getting them every night!Great pizza up at the Reef Pool and the ice cream sundaes and milkshakes,right next to the pizza.Neptunes Reef and Pool is where all of the action is with the cruise staff and music.We should all plan to meet..how many are in your party?
Old August 23rd, 2007, 09:54 AM
Passenger

I can't wait. The ship look beautiful from what I can see. We are looking farward to the fresh water pools and our 1st balcony room.
Old August 23rd, 2007, 10:29 AM
Passenger

We have 58 days left...can't wait either.You will love the ship.She is beautiful-I am jealous,we have an obstructed view cabin.
Old August 23rd, 2007, 11:19 AM
Passenger

I read in one review that they have free champagne and punch drinks at crooner's bar on the 1st formal night between 7pm and 8pm. Maybe we will see you there.
Old August 26th, 2007, 04:39 PM
Beginner

[quote="judykehley"]We have 58 days left...can't wait either.You will love the ship.She is beautiful-I am jealous,we have an obstructed view cabin

hi Judy How did you get your cabin number? We booked a couple of weeks ago with just the assurance of a cabin with a balcony but they wont give us a specific cabin number as yet. We have cruised other lines and this has never happened before. Thanks - hope you can give us some insight panda
Old August 26th, 2007, 05:04 PM
Admiral

[quote="panda_3105"]
Quote:
Originally Posted by judykehley
We have 58 days left...can't wait either.You will love the ship.She is beautiful-I am jealous,we have an obstructed view cabin

hi Judy How did you get your cabin number? We booked a couple of weeks ago with just the assurance of a cabin with a balcony but they wont give us a specific cabin number as yet. We have cruised other lines and this has never happened before. Thanks - hope you can give us some insight panda
See you own thread for the answer.

SS Norway (12 times) '85 - '97; Radiance OS 06/01; Island Princess 11/04, Grand Princess 11/04/05, Golden Princess 7/21/06, Golden Princess 2/24/07, Explorer of the Seas 12/23/07, Island Princess 11/15/08
Old August 27th, 2007, 11:57 AM
Passenger

Hi Panda,I am a TA and booked the cruise myself.If you have a guarenteed balcony,then it will depend on how the ship is selling.You will recieve a balcony but you may not know until the day of sailing where it will be located.Good luck.If you have any questions at all I would be happy to help you-I could talk about cruises all day..
Old September 5th, 2007, 09:49 PM
Beginner

Quote:
Hi Panda,I am a TA and booked the cruise myself.If you have a guarenteed balcony,then it will depend on how the ship is selling.You will recieve a balcony but you may not know until the day of sailing where it will be located.Good luck.If you have any questions at all I would be happy to help you-I could talk about cruises all day..
Thanks for the reply Judy, we were just a little concerned about getting an "obstructed view" cabin or whatever was left over, as we never came accross this system with RCCL, Carnival, Cunard etc., Panda
Old September 6th, 2007, 10:52 AM
Passenger

Panda,are you on the October 20th sailing?
Old September 6th, 2007, 01:02 PM
Beginner

Quote:
yes
Old September 6th, 2007, 01:10 PM
Beginner

Quote:
We're coming down from connecticut by limo, we've been all over New York 1st time in Brooklyn
Panda
Old September 6th, 2007, 01:19 PM
Passenger

Panda,the Brooklyn terminal is excellent,much better than Manhatten.We are coming from South Jersey.We have a friend that is a limo driver and we are renting a van for him to drive us to the terminal.Where in CT? My sister and her family live in Ansonia..we were just there this past Sunday.
Old September 7th, 2007, 09:19 PM
Beginner

Quote:
Panda,the Brooklyn terminal is excellent,much better than Manhatten.We are coming from South Jersey.We have a friend that is a limo driver and we are renting a van for him to drive us to the terminal.Where in CT? My sister and her family live in Ansonia..we were just there this past Sunday.
We are about 3 towns over from Ansonia in the town of Fairfield, really looking fdrward to our second cruise this year! the last one being on RCCL "Adventurer of the seas" ,huge ship, with a downtown area, ice rink, very impressive! 8)