Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Princess Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old September 12th, 2007, 09:34 AM
Passenger

Default Grand Princess -- MiniSuite or Balcony??

I have seen posts that the minisuite is nicer since it has a bigger cabin and only slightly smaller balcony. However, the virtual tour on the princess website seems to show a minisuite balcony that is overlooking a walkway or something. There is a big oval wall that you have to look through, it just doesn't look nice. However, if you look at the diagram or the floor plan, you can tell this picture doesn't even match up with the virtual tour since the VT shows the balcony right next to the bed where the floorplan and diagram do not. Bottom line, I would love to hear what people think about their minisuite balconies in this context.

One other question: The bathroom on the virtual tour for the minisuite looks amazing (all tile and big). I have never been on princess so maybe all their cabins have bathrooms this nice. Is that the case or is this a better bathroom since its a minisuite, in other words, is the balcony (non-minisuite) bathroom this nice?

If you have pictures of your cabin on the grand princess, please send me a URL or PM me and I will send you my email address. Thanks so much!
Sponsored Links
Old September 12th, 2007, 11:39 AM
First Mate

The bathrooms are bigger in the minisuite (tub vs. shower stall). Can't comment on what you described for the balcony...ours was a standard balcony. We were upgraded to the mini-suite, but weren't impressed enough to spend extra to get one in the future.

Personally, we like to book the BB balcony cabin on the Caribe Deck. The balcony is about 9x9. Sure it lacks the larger bathroom and sitting area, but I'd rather have a bigger balcony. It all comes down to what's important to you.
Old September 12th, 2007, 12:39 PM
Admiral

I have no idea what you are looking at (link?). The mini-suites have a clear view without any walkway or anything. I have stayed in mini-suites on all our Princess cruises and I think that they are great.

The mini-suite bathrooms are larger than straight balcany cabins. Mainly due to the fact that you have a tub + shower.

They also have two TVs.

SS Norway (12 times) '85 - '97; Radiance OS 06/01; Island Princess 11/04, Grand Princess 11/04/05, Golden Princess 7/21/06, Golden Princess 2/24/07, Explorer of the Seas 12/23/07, Island Princess 11/15/08
Old September 12th, 2007, 01:19 PM
Passenger

The Virtual tour I am referring to can be found here:

http://www.princess.com/pb/searchRes...y=&pageOffset=

Then, click on the word mini suite (it looks like its just a column header, but it IS a link)

I am fairly sure that the Virtual tour shown is simply not the minisuite on the Grand.

From what I understand (further research since my post), most of the minisuite balconies on the Grand do not have a roof. Is this correct and if you had such a room, what did you think?

I think its a bad thing since you don't have privacy (people above can look down and see you), it would be really sunny and wet if its raining. I do like the room size though so please post any comments. Thanks.
Old September 12th, 2007, 01:42 PM
Admiral

I don't know what cabin that is (some kind of suite), but it is not a mini-suite on the Grand.

On the Dolphin deck, all the balconies are open. Folks can look down on you. Some folks think that is NG, but it does not bother me at all. In fact I like it. Clean, clear views 360 deg.

SS Norway (12 times) '85 - '97; Radiance OS 06/01; Island Princess 11/04, Grand Princess 11/04/05, Golden Princess 7/21/06, Golden Princess 2/24/07, Explorer of the Seas 12/23/07, Island Princess 11/15/08
Old September 12th, 2007, 07:27 PM
Captain

Default Re: Grand Princess -- MiniSuite or Balcony??

Quote:
Originally Posted by gogators
I have seen posts that the minisuite is nicer since it has a bigger cabin and only slightly smaller balcony. However, the virtual tour on the princess website seems to show a minisuite balcony that is overlooking a walkway or something. There is a big oval wall that you have to look through, it just doesn't look nice. However, if you look at the diagram or the floor plan, you can tell this picture doesn't even match up with the virtual tour since the VT shows the balcony right next to the bed where the floorplan and diagram do not. Bottom line, I would love to hear what people think about their minisuite balconies in this context.

One other question: The bathroom on the virtual tour for the minisuite looks amazing (all tile and big). I have never been on princess so maybe all their cabins have bathrooms this nice. Is that the case or is this a better bathroom since its a minisuite, in other words, is the balcony (non-minisuite) bathroom this nice?

If you have pictures of your cabin on the grand princess, please send me a URL or PM me and I will send you my email address. Thanks so much!
Hi gogators,

We love the mini-suites on the Grand. They are at least 100sq. ft. larger than the standard balcony cabins. Going from less than 200sq. ft. to over 300 sq. ft. in my opinion makes a huge difference. The bathrooms are quite a bit larger than the standard bathrooms and you also gain extra closet and storage space. I have never had a mini-suite cabin with any walkway or anything in the way of the view. I believe there may be some cabins that don't have the overhang, if that is an something you would like. For me if the people above me don't have anything better to do on a cruise than look down at me, they really need to get a life! I even like the openness of the uncovered balconies. The non-mini suite bathrooms are smaller and on some cruises, I felt that the shower curtain got a little too familiar!

On the cruises that I have booked the mini is often not that much more than the regular balcony cabins and they are well worth it.
Hope this helps.

Winston Churchill

email: debra2106@yahoo.com
Old September 12th, 2007, 09:13 PM
Passenger

Thanks for all who replied.

Its confirmed that the room shown on the Princess website in the Virtual Tour is NOT an actual minisuite from the grand. The price difference for the dates I'm looking at is only $50 a person so I will definitely opt for the minisuite. Personally, I want a covered balcony so that's what I will go with but I appreciate the comments on uncovered balconies as well. In the end, my decision was not really about privacy but about having a roof in case it rains and to keep the sun out (we will get plenty of sun, our room's balcony will be more of a retreat FROM the sun for us).

Thanks again and.... GO gators.
Old September 13th, 2007, 03:13 AM
Admiral

If you are thinking mini suite, then do it.

Cruised more times than I can remember.

Good people sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

Courage and perserverance have a magical talisman; before which difficulties disappear and obstacles vanish into the air.

Pick your company wisely! Hang around people who are going to help you become all God created you to be.
Old September 13th, 2007, 09:35 AM
Passenger

On the grand princess I think the caribe deck balconies also dont have roofs. They are open to the decks above. Alot of people are not aware of this ahead of time and find they dont like it.
We have booked a balcony for the april 12, 20 day, 3 continent cruise. This time we are trying the rear facing cabin caribe 753. There are only 2 such on the caribe along with 4 suites that are rear facing. We expect a bumpier ride but we are thinking the view will make it worth while. Has anyone stayed in a rear facing cabin. These are rear facing off the back end of the ship.
Old September 13th, 2007, 12:03 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by paa5481
On the grand princess I think the caribe deck balconies also dont have roofs. They are open to the decks above. Alot of people are not aware of this ahead of time and find they dont like it.
Caribe deck cabins on starboard and port sides are sized 9 ft wide x 9 ft. deep and are covered by ceiling overhang for first 5 ft. When sitting under this cover, no one from above can see you.

Old September 13th, 2007, 12:08 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by gogators
The price difference for the dates I'm looking at is only $50 a person so I will definitely opt for the minisuite. Personally, I want a covered balcony so that's what I will go with
Itsn't this conflcting statements?

You are not going to get a mini-suite on the Dolphin Deck with any "roof".

Old September 13th, 2007, 12:10 PM
First Mate

Quote:
Originally Posted by paa5481
We have booked a balcony for the april 12, 20 day, 3 continent cruise. This time we are trying the rear facing cabin caribe 753. There are only 2 such on the caribe along with 4 suites that are rear facing. We expect a bumpier ride but we are thinking the view will make it worth while. Has anyone stayed in a rear facing cabin. These are rear facing off the back end of the ship.
Actually, the roofs on the Caribe Deck partially cover the balcony. Depending on the direction of the ship/sun, you can get a little shade in addition to the sun. Never had a problem with privacy, but sometimes found things on the balcony, trash, cigarette butts (yes some people STILL throw them over the side).

You picked an awesome cabin! 8) We had the same one on the Star and loved it! I didn't think it was "bumpy", but more of a gentle rocking to sleep kind of movement. We had a full roof overhead. It's very quiet most of the time, not windy, awesome view...I just love the wake of the ship! The only noise/vibration I remember is when pulling into port. Never bothered me though. Being at the end of the hall, you don't get a lot of foot traffic either.

Enjoy!
Old September 13th, 2007, 03:49 PM
Passenger

Nana
Thanks for the info. You said what I wanted to hear. My thought was the wake of the ship would be a great view. We downgraded from a ba on the caribe to this rear facing bb which I think will be fantastic. I couldnt believe it was still open. Happy cruising