Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Princess Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old September 20th, 2007, 06:53 PM
Passenger

Default Is this true?

"Be aware they charge 10.00 per person per day automatically for the staff and if you order room service, even just for a pot of tea, they charge another 10.00 for each time."

I just read this on one of the reviews for the Golden Princess. I know that they automatically add $10. per day per person. (which can be adjusted up or down if desired) Has anyone else heard of them adding $10. each time?

Sponsored Links
Old September 20th, 2007, 07:16 PM
Passenger

We just got off the Dawn Princess two weeks ago. I would have to figure all Princess ships are operating the same way and there would not be a policy difference between the Dawn & Golden.

The only such charge on our statement was the $10 per person per day for gratuities.

There was no additional service charge for room service. We tipped the servers ourselves at time of delivery.

I would think the statement written in the review was a misunderstanding of the final bill and itemized charges.

Carnival Inspiration June 2007 - Grand Cayman & Cozumel
Dawn Princess August 2007 - North to Alaska
Old September 20th, 2007, 07:24 PM
First Mate

No, they are mistaken. Room service is free. It's customary to tip the delivery person a couple dollars per delivery.

The tips are $10/pp per day (in other words, for a 7 day cruise, with 2 people in the cabin it would be $140 for the whole week). They may be confused because the $10 is added to each day on the bill, rather than all at once at the end. Actually, I believe this recently went up to $10.50/day, so don't be surprised at the increase.

It is true that you can have them adjusted at the purser's desk. I have never done that - I like the convenience of have it added. I just give cash on the last day to anyone who's gone above and beyond for me. Contrary to many postings I've read, I have not experienced a lack of motivation by people who are auto tipped. I've always had great service and tip accordingly.
Old September 20th, 2007, 07:58 PM
Passenger

Quote:
Originally Posted by NanaShrek
No, they are mistaken. Room service is free. It's customary to tip the delivery person a couple dollars per delivery.

The tips are $10/pp per day (in other words, for a 7 day cruise, with 2 people in the cabin it would be $140 for the whole week). They may be confused because the $10 is added to each day on the bill, rather than all at once at the end. Actually, I believe this recently went up to $10.50/day, so don't be surprised at the increase.

It is true that you can have them adjusted at the purser's desk. I have never done that - I like the convenience of have it added. I just give cash on the last day to anyone who's gone above and beyond for me. Contrary to many postings I've read, I have not experienced a lack of motivation by people who are auto tipped. I've always had great service and tip accordingly.
Thanks for the info. We've sailed on Carnival before and it was $10. p.p. per day. We didn't make any adjustments either, and also gave extra to our cabin steward and wait team on the last day. I also tipped the person who delivered food to our cabin. I had never heard of this before and just wanted to check because we havn't sailed on Princess before.

Beejo.

Old September 23rd, 2007, 08:36 PM
Captain

I agree with all of the other responses about the additional $10 tips for room service. Whoever said that was confused about how this works. While not a fan of putting the tip on your account atomatically, I have never had any problem with it. I think Celebrity handles it better by giving you an option by returning a card if you wish to have the tips automatically added to your account. I am one who feels that putting the tip on automatically may give some the idea that a tip is a right and not something to be earned by good service. That said, on my last few cruises on Princess, I have always left the tip on my account and always tip even more at the end of the cruise.

Winston Churchill

email: debra2106@yahoo.com
Old September 24th, 2007, 01:28 AM
Admiral

They just recently changed it to $10.50 a day and $11 for mini suites.

It's my understanding that any cash you give anyone has to be turned in to the pool and divied up among all the different parties - for what that's worth.

I cruise the Emerald Princess, Eastern Caribbean on April 16, 2012
Old September 24th, 2007, 08:14 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by CruzNut

It's my understanding that any cash you give anyone has to be turned in to the pool and divied up among all the different parties - for what that's worth.
You are close, if someone removes the autotip then any cash given goes into the pool. So those who would rather give the tip in person and removes the autotip is not doing the staff any good. In fact, removing the autotip causes management to question the servers as to why, the assumption being that removal indicates a reaction to bad service. It is better to leave the autotip on, fill out positive comment cards and reward great service with extra cash.

Explorer of the Seas October 2013
Caribbean Princess July 2006, May 2010 & November 2012
Monarch of the Seas November 2008
Crown Princess November 2007
Celebrity Zenith November 2005
Enchantment of the Seas August 2004
Old September 25th, 2007, 05:42 PM
Passenger

we had room service every morning and only paid a tip that we directed. There was no automatic charge
Old September 25th, 2007, 07:30 PM
Administrator
Admiral

There is no charge for room service, unless you order alcoholic drinks or sodas. Those items will be added to your onboard account. You may also be charged for things that "are not" on the room service menu so make sure you clarify that you will or will not be charged for something that is not on the room service menu before hanging up the phone.

Perhaps they requested a couple shots of brandy in that pot of tea.

Take care,
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Old September 27th, 2007, 01:27 AM
Cruise Maniac

Quote:

As of last week on the Caribbean Princess (9/16-9/23) it was $10 p/p for a mini suite.

If given discreetly, I think some of the staff keep it. I was at a bar and a few people through down a few ones and/or a five and that was put in a tip jar.

I shook his hand and gave him some money and that was just slipped in his pocket.

Not sure what is right, and what they are supposed to do though.
Old September 27th, 2007, 07:38 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeynut
Quote:

As of last week on the Caribbean Princess (9/16-9/23) it was $10 p/p for a mini suite.

If given discreetly, I think some of the staff keep it. I was at a bar and a few people through down a few ones and/or a five and that was put in a tip jar.

I shook his hand and gave him some money and that was just slipped in his pocket.

Not sure what is right, and what they are supposed to do though.
It is my understanding that bar staff are not in the pool that is paid from the autotip, that they are tipped through the 15% that is added to all bar orders and of course, any extra you might tip.

Explorer of the Seas October 2013
Caribbean Princess July 2006, May 2010 & November 2012
Monarch of the Seas November 2008
Crown Princess November 2007
Celebrity Zenith November 2005
Enchantment of the Seas August 2004
Old October 3rd, 2007, 10:07 AM
Beginner

My mum and dad are possibly among the most travelled cruise passengers with princess and informed me that you can go to the pursers on day one and ask to tip privately whereby they remove the autotip-
this allows you to tip your cabin steward etc for service and they keep it themselves ( as with P & O)

a 15% charge is added at the bar to drinks etc which is shared among bar staff-

if you autotip then your holiday might as well be £280 dollars dearer!