Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Princess Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old September 24th, 2007, 05:46 PM
Beginner

Default TRYING TO CHOOSE BETWEEN ROYAL CAR AND PRINCESS

I'm trying to decide between Caribbean Princess or Royal Caribbean's Grandeur of the Seas. We've (me, wife, 14 year old son) sailed twice with Disney and loved both. We just want to give something else a try but don't want to be disappointed. I've narrowed it down to going out of New York on Princess on 6/13/08; stops at Bermuda, San Juan, St. Thomas, & Grand Turk. Or going out of Norfolk, VA on Grandeur of the Seas on 6/26/08; stops at San Juan, St. Thomas, Dominican Republic, & private Island (Labadee, Haiti). I love the itinerary of Royal Caribbean, especially the private island, but I'm afraid that the ship is smaller and older and doesn't have as many pools and doesn't have the specialty restaurants. WHICH SHOULD I CHOOSE??
Sponsored Links
Old September 24th, 2007, 06:03 PM
First Mate

I have been on Caribbean and it's huge! Larger than I prefer. I prefer the Grand/Golden/Star size ship. Haven't been on RCCL, but a friend of mine has been on the Grandeur a couple of times...she loves it. I wouldn't let the smaller size of the Grandeur worry you if you like the itinerary. Their ships have lots to do! Check out their websites and you might find a video clip and/or pictures to give you an idea what to expect. Also, check out the photo galleries on this site.

I've been on Princess several times and always enjoy my trips. I'd love to try a RCCL cruise, but haven't found a comparable price for the trips I've taken (meaning RCCL would cost us at least $100-200 more for the comparison's I've made). I watch often, so there's hope that I will one day find a good deal!

I think both cruiselines have some very classy looking ships, and both have many die hard fans. It's so hard to choose sometimes, but if you go with an open mind, you won't be disappointed in either! If it's that hard to decide...do both! Then you can compare yourself! It never hurts to be double stacked!

Good Luck with your search!
Old September 25th, 2007, 10:52 AM
Admiral

oh boy thats a toughie, love both of those itinearies. The Caribbean Princess is a huge ship and she would have more activities for your son to do during the daytime,more evening activities for all, not to mention Movies Under the Stars which is kinda neat. We have found that the service and food on Princess is a notch above RCCL.
Old September 25th, 2007, 09:22 PM
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by LisaK
oh boy thats a toughie, love both of those itinearies. The Caribbean Princess is a huge ship and she would have more activities for your son to do during the daytime,more evening activities for all, not to mention Movies Under the Stars which is kinda neat. We have found that the service and food on Princess is a notch above RCCL.
I agree with Lisa that the Caribbean Princess would be a big step up from the RCCL ship. The food, entertainment and service is definitely a notch above RCCL. Movies Under the Stars should be a big hit with everyone.

Winston Churchill

email: debra2106@yahoo.com
Old September 26th, 2007, 09:11 AM
Passenger

Take the Caribbean Princess hands down.

Have been on that ship last year. Fantastic experience.
Have been on RCCL Navigator of the Seas. Too impersonal.
Have sailed RCCL twice and not impressed.
Old September 27th, 2007, 12:22 AM
Cruise Maniac

I just finished a Caribbean Princess cruise last week. I have sailed with Princess 6 times and I think this was my favorite ship. Lots to do. Nothing seemed to be overly crowded. A lot of pools, some were adult only which is nice. For teens, they have a teen center for 13-17 year olds with lots of activities. Movies under the stars was nice. They play a little bit of everything. During the day were mostly family/kid movies. Sunday/Monday night was football. Rest of the week at night were concerts, and PG 13 movies. They did play the Rocky Horror Picture show at 12:15am one night.

The cruise staff also runs a lot of activities for everyone throughout the day. Very friendly crew, great food.

Ironically, I booked that 6/13 cruise you are considering while onboard. I might have to switch the date to the cruise before or after but the itinerary looked nice to me and one I haven't done before.
Old October 3rd, 2007, 02:02 PM
Cruise Maniac

Send a message via AIM to jack124

i agree that the princess caribbean is the better of the two ships. i've sailed on both, princess caribbean in 06 and found the food excellent, the staff very friendly and helpful and the ship was cleeeeaaan. i loves that cruise and am thinking of sailing it again in 08
Old October 3rd, 2007, 06:14 PM
Passenger

I have been on both 2 Princess cruises and 2 Royal Caribbean cruises and can't say enough about either line. You should not have problem with either one. Just remember, size does not matter.
Old October 4th, 2007, 01:35 PM
Passenger

I did the Princess out of New York and it was wonderful!
Loved the itinerary!