Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Princess Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old September 30th, 2007, 02:20 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default Coral Princess mini suites?

We are pre planning a cruise on the Coral to the Panama canal in Feb. 2010 ( we really plan early anyway, we have decided on a mini suite because of the length of the trip. We have seen plenty of options and one question is in the canal will a partially covered balcony be a good choice or because of the heat would a fully covered be better?
Has anyone had a cabin that they really liked on either the Coral or Island? Thanks for you imput, Cozzette
Sponsored Links
Old September 30th, 2007, 03:11 PM
Admiral

Haven't cruised on the Coral or Island yet but on all our Princess cruises, I really loved the cabins we had on the Caribe decks; large, half covered and half open, then you have a respite from the heat if necessary. Regualr balcony cabins only have a chair but mini-suites have sofas. On our next cruise, RT Hawaii, we booked a mini-suite.

#36-Carnival Splendor 9/16/12
7 night Mexican Riviera
Retirement Celebration

#37-Allure of the Seas 11/11/12
7 night Eastern Caribbean

#38-Celebrity Solstice 4/8/13
17 night Tahiti -- Sydney-Honolulu
40th Anniversary Celebration

270 days at see; soon to be 302
Old September 30th, 2007, 07:05 PM
Admiral

We were on the Island Princess on a cruise to HI. We had a mini-suite and I like the no cover.

SS Norway (12 times) '85 - '97; Radiance OS 06/01; Island Princess 11/04, Grand Princess 11/04/05, Golden Princess 7/21/06, Golden Princess 2/24/07, Explorer of the Seas 12/23/07, Island Princess 11/15/08
Old September 30th, 2007, 09:09 PM
Admiral

Irish Shark,
Please tell us why you like the no cover. We are doing the Diamond next February on the Dolphin deck for our 35th. First time for us without some type of cover. Advantages vs disadvantages? Thanks.

#36-Carnival Splendor 9/16/12
7 night Mexican Riviera
Retirement Celebration

#37-Allure of the Seas 11/11/12
7 night Eastern Caribbean

#38-Celebrity Solstice 4/8/13
17 night Tahiti -- Sydney-Honolulu
40th Anniversary Celebration

270 days at see; soon to be 302
Old September 30th, 2007, 09:15 PM
Admiral

On the Coral Princess, personally, I'd book the AF mini-suite on Caribe Deck. JMO. I belive these are half-covered .

"A truly happy person is one who can enjoy the scenery on a detour."

Carnival Inspiration 2002 Carnival Elation 2004
Grand Princess 2004 NCL Sun 2005
Sun Princess 2006 NCL Dream 2007
Caribbean Princess 2007 NCL Dawn 2008
Island Princess 2008 Island Princess 2009
Golden Princess 2009 Carnival Conquest 2010
Grand Princess 2010 Island Princess 2011
Grand Princess 2011 Carnival Magic 2012
Carnival Dream 2012 Island Princess 2013
Carnival Magic 2013 Carnival Legend 2014
Sea Princess 2014
Old September 30th, 2007, 09:50 PM
Cruise Maniac

Yes Irish Shark, what did you like about the no cover? Did you have a preference for which side ship? Cozzette
Old October 1st, 2007, 12:20 PM
Admiral

- On the HI trip we were on the Starboard side. I always try to get a Starboard cabin. So far we have had good luck with that going into and out of ports - good views.

- I like the open feeling. I don't care if folks can look down on us; we have nothing to hide. Heck, all I have to do is lookup and I can see them.

- Just about the only time we see folks on the balcony is at sail away and going into and out of ports. Other than that, it is pretty quiet.

SS Norway (12 times) '85 - '97; Radiance OS 06/01; Island Princess 11/04, Grand Princess 11/04/05, Golden Princess 7/21/06, Golden Princess 2/24/07, Explorer of the Seas 12/23/07, Island Princess 11/15/08
Old October 2nd, 2007, 08:27 PM
Captain

Default Af mini suites on Coral are larger but no balcony

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fern
On the Coral Princess, personally, I'd book the AF mini-suite on Caribe Deck. JMO. I belive these are half-covered .
Hi Cozzette, Booking a mini suite is a great idea for that long of a cruise. There is a lot more room in a mini. One thing that I should point out that the AF mini suites on the Coral does not have a balcony. They do have more square footage but NO balcony, just a large window. For a cruise in a hot area of the world I would look for a covered balcony.

Hope this helps,

Debra

Winston Churchill

email: debra2106@yahoo.com
Old October 2nd, 2007, 11:23 PM
Cruise Maniac

Thanks so much all, for the info. I think atleast a partially covered balcony [ yes a balcony is a must have for this one] would be the way to go and because of the length of the cruise, a mini suite with a little more cabin space. I appreciate everyones feedback, Cozzette
Old October 19th, 2007, 11:17 AM
Passenger

Send a message via MSN to Drewt Send a message via Yahoo to Drewt

We did the same cruise last April and were in Mini suites D415 and D417 on the Dolphin Deck. One of these was fully open and the other was partially covered and we went back and forth between the two. It is a matter of preference but the partially covered balcony proved to be used more frequently. This was because it allow us a little shade when we wanted it but usually had sun on half of it. The fact that people can look down on you did not bother us at all. The balcony easily sat four of us with a small table and we loved it. You will love that cruise, I'm sure.
Old October 22nd, 2007, 12:11 PM
Cruise Maniac

Dear Cozzette1 and all:

My husband and I were on the Coral Princess in October 2006. We LOVED our cabin on the Aloha Deck A416. You can see photos of our room and balcony on my Photo Gallery album titled:

Panama Canal 13Oct06 10-Night Panama Canal

http://www.cruisemates.com/gallery/view.php?id=3979

I am still in the process of uploading photos of the trip (I waited almost a year to post them .). I am trying to load photos that will be of the most value to other cruisers. We appreciate the photos others have posted and they have helped us greatly when booking a ship and/or cabin.

We scrutinized the balconys on all three decks of the Coral Princess (Aloha, Baja, Caribe & Dolphin) and decided that if we take a Princess ship with our teenagers, we would definately try for a cabin on the Dolphin deck because it's so much larger for the four of us.

The option of shade on a balcony is nice but not necessary for us. It was 7am and we were on eastern side of the canal so the sun was intense but I enjoyed the tropical experience. Once the sun is overhead the expose balcony was never an issue.

Bon Voyage!

HappyJan
Carnival Liberty February 10, 2008

p.s. The strawberries delivered to our stateroom were part of the "Deluxe Renewal of Vows" package that my wonderful husband of 25 years arranged for.
Old October 22nd, 2007, 12:41 PM
Passenger

Hi All - We were on the same cruise with HappyJan and actually met her and her DH - it was a fabulous cruise!

We did not have a mini-suite - just a balcony cabin on the Alhoa deck which suited us fine. However, we did spend most of our time on the balcony when we were in our cabin so do recommend it, especially for this cruise.

Check out her canal photos, they are really good!
Carnival x 2
Old October 22nd, 2007, 07:24 PM
Cruise Maniac

Man oh Man, what great pictures! If that doesn't get someone in the mood to cruise I don't know what would. It all looks so beautiful. Your suite is amazing. I like the thought of tuxedo strawberrys arriving every night.
Thanks so much for everyone's imput, it is sure getting me excited. I think I have narrowed it down and then I start to rethink. I know that the cruise is going to be awesome and to think it is only 3 years away lol. I might have decided by then.
We go on the Dawn in Feb. and will put down a deposit then. Our TA said if we book the 15 night we will get a $200 credit, now that is incentive
Thanks all, Cozzette