Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Princess Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old October 3rd, 2007, 08:46 AM
Beginner

Default Sea Princess Med in May- Questions

Myself and my hubbie are going on a cruise aboard Sea Princess round the Med in May- i was wondering how soon i can book the tours
online- i have tried but it says there are none avialable.

i also wanted to ask if anyone has done tours in rome or florence and what ones they would recommend, i was going to do the most expensive one in rome but as we are in rome on the sunday the vatican isnt open and i dont see the point- any suggestions are welcome.

Similarly- is cadiz far from the port and is it worth seeing or should i book a tour to seville,

Any other info would be good- someone mentioned to me about tipping privately as there is a daily charge- can anyone expand on this?

Thanks for any help

Nicola
Sponsored Links
Old October 3rd, 2007, 09:25 AM
Administrator
Admiral

Default Re: Sea Princess Med in May- Questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by npinkerton
Myself and my hubbie are going on a cruise aboard Sea Princess round the Med in May- i was wondering how soon i can book the tours
online- i have tried but it says there are none avialable.

i also wanted to ask if anyone has done tours in rome or florence and what ones they would recommend, i was going to do the most expensive one in rome but as we are in rome on the sunday the vatican isnt open and i dont see the point- any suggestions are welcome.

Similarly- is cadiz far from the port and is it worth seeing or should i book a tour to seville,

Any other info would be good- someone mentioned to me about tipping privately as there is a daily charge- can anyone expand on this?

Thanks for any help

Nicola
Tours usually come available 90 - 120 days before sailing. Cadiz "is" the port and is a nice town to walk. You can do an excursion to Seville or if there is an "Alhambra" excursion available, I would book that.

You can go to the pursers desk and have your tips removed from the auto tipping and tip in person "but" and here's the big but. The person you are tipping will need to turn that money into the gratuity pool.

Also if you remove yourself from the pool your waiter, steward and asst. waiter will need to address the reason and record if and the amount paid.

Take care,
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Old October 4th, 2007, 05:58 PM
Admiral

Hi Nicola, you may want to double check your info on the Vatican - we went there this year on a Sunday and it was more open than usual with free entry - even the Sistene Chapel was open, I think this happens on the LAST Sunday of the month, but worth checking.

From Civitavecchia we always just hop on the train into Rome, (as will most of the crew) then will either take the hop-on hop-off tour buses, or have a pre-planned agenda. Just make certain you give yourself plenty of time to get back to the ship, or know how you are going to catch up if the worst happened.

If you are going to remove your tips, please do this as soon as possible, so that they desk know that there is nothing wrong with the service, and that you are simply objecting to the policy - they are quite used to it.

Have a great time, on a lovely ship,

Alan & Katrina
followed by: Queen Elizabeth December 2014

History :
Golden, Grand(2), Caribbean, Sea(4+1 aborted)
Adonia(4+2), Arcadia, Artemis(2), Aurora(5), Azura(2), Oceana(3), Oriana(11), Ventura(2), Victoria(5)
QM2(2), QE2(9), QV(5), QE, Caronia(2), Minerva II, Fred.Olsen(8), NCL Jade, =X= Eclipse, HAL Ryndam
Old October 5th, 2007, 04:28 AM
Beginner

thanks for that info
its only the last sunday of the month so a bit unfortunate as thats not when i am there-
i will look into the train so and the tour bus

i will remove tips as soon as the ship sails and the pursers desk is open

i am really looking forward to the trip- never cruised on princess before- many time on p & 0 but did have lunch on the golden when it was docked in greenock(glasgow)
Old October 12th, 2007, 12:33 PM
Passenger

If you remove the automatic tip and choose to tip individually,that person will not get to keep the tip as it will be pooled.The best way to do it is to leave the auto tip on and tip over and above that.
Old November 4th, 2007, 03:15 AM
Beginner

You must go to Seville it a most amazing city. Site of 2 world expo's fantastic architecture , La gerelda and the catherdal, Tapas at lunch time with lovley wine and Great , i mean great shopping including the most shoe shops i seen in one place.
ANd it a compact place easy to walf around , well the center is.
Old November 19th, 2007, 10:00 AM
Captain

Perhaps you didn't understand the tipping policy. If you remove the daily tipping charges from your onboard account and tip on an individual basis, said individuals are obligated to turn in those gratuities to the main pool. In other words, everyone in the pool will benefit from them, not just whoever you choose to tip. Isn't it easier to have it put on your account?
That is, if you plan on tipping at all.
Old November 19th, 2007, 11:51 AM
Admiral

Hi jacdenv24, I understood that ALL the tips went into the pool to be divided out - are you saying that this is not the case?

From a British aspect, we are so used to tipping individually to have the chance to say a personal thankyou to the staff, that it just feels weird for it all to be automated.

I will have to ask next time I'm on board if the auto tips are not pooled.

Thanks for the heads up.

Alan.
followed by: Queen Elizabeth December 2014

History :
Golden, Grand(2), Caribbean, Sea(4+1 aborted)
Adonia(4+2), Arcadia, Artemis(2), Aurora(5), Azura(2), Oceana(3), Oriana(11), Ventura(2), Victoria(5)
QM2(2), QE2(9), QV(5), QE, Caronia(2), Minerva II, Fred.Olsen(8), NCL Jade, =X= Eclipse, HAL Ryndam