Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Princess Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old October 6th, 2007, 10:45 PM
Beginner

Default Princess Cruise Ship HAS BED BUGS!!! BEWARE

Has anybody experienced BED BUGS on any Princess Cruise ship?? We were on the Crown Princess out of NYC in July 2007 and last month (September) we discovered we brought home bed bugs with us!! Princess just sent me a letter that basically said that I couldn't prove the bugs came from their ship and I was out of luck and have a nice day..... I think it sucks since we spent about 5 grand on the cruise and another 3 grand replacing all of our bedding including the mattress and a visit from an exterminator!! Our first time on Princess will DEFINITELY be our LAST!!!
Sponsored Links
Old October 6th, 2007, 11:28 PM
Captain

Default Re: Princess Cruise Ship HAS BED BUGS!!! BEWARE

Quote:
Originally Posted by rendin
Has anybody experienced BED BUGS on any Princess Cruise ship?? We were on the Crown Princess out of NYC in July 2007 and last month (September) we discovered we brought home bed bugs with us!! Princess just sent me a letter that basically said that I couldn't prove the bugs came from their ship and I was out of luck and have a nice day..... I think it sucks since we spent about 5 grand on the cruise and another 3 grand replacing all of our bedding including the mattress and a visit from an exterminator!! Our first time on Princess will DEFINITELY be our LAST!!!
Whoaaaa, You were on a cruise in July and discovered that you have bed bugs in September???????? Could it be that in that long period of time you got them from somewhere else?????? I am the last one to stand up for a cruise line when they are wrong, but in this case I don't blame Princess one bit for saying that it is very, very doubtful that you got them from a Princess cruise, last July. It seems, to me, quite clear that you have absolutly no proof as to where they came from.

What kind of a matress and bedding do you have that cost $3000?

Winston Churchill

email: debra2106@yahoo.com
Old October 6th, 2007, 11:42 PM
Admiral

Strikes me that this is one of those people who always blame the big corporation - probably in hopes of getting money. Agree with nurse debra - the bed bugs show up TWO MONTHS later! Come on already ... not possible.

I cruise the Emerald Princess, Eastern Caribbean on April 16, 2012
Old October 7th, 2007, 12:02 AM
Administrator
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Paul Motter

Hold on folks - we don't criticize people here just for saying something negative about a cruise line. You are calling this person a lair and you have no idea what they experienced.

There have been cases of bedbugs on ships out of New York, and in Hotels in NY. Sometimes they come from the hotels & get on the ship with the passengers, that could have happened. Bedbugs can hide anf starve for months before they come out.

But please do NOT criticize people just for making a post. You are not in their shoes. We don't censor negative posts here, so don't act as if it your role to do that for us. Thank you!

Bed bug cases are thankfully VERY RARE, but it could have happened.

It would be good if the original poster had some real proof before they said this, however.
Old October 7th, 2007, 12:06 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Kuki

There's simply no way of knowing if the bed bugs came from the ship, a hotel, a visit to someone's home.

Bed bugs are very difficult to detect, until there is real infestation. They also can travel in many ways , such as clothing, luggage, or on your person.

In the last year or so I've noticed many more reports of bed bugs in the news. They've been found on ships, and they've been found in high end luxury hotels. It's likely somewhat a result of such a big increase in global travel.

And bed bugs are also quite difficult to get rid of once they're discovered.

Princess should likely know if they had any outbreak, but that knowledge wouldn't be held by a customer service rep. They would think it quite legitimate to believe that your bugs came from someplace other than the ship. And they could have....... could have even found their way into your luggage during travel. Too many variables to really know what happened, or to blame the cruise line.

Had you been bitten and reported it while onboard, and they did nothing, you'd have a legitimate complaint.
- The Kuki Side of Cruising-
A new Blog post every Wednesday
http://www.cruisemates.com/blog/author/kuki/
Old October 15th, 2007, 10:14 PM
Beginner

Default Bed Bugs

I have recently attended a seminar on bed bugs. They can remain dormant for 8-10 months. I agree that you can not be one hundred percent certain where they came from. On the other hand, if you drove to the cruise port and have not stayed in a hotel other than the ship, it's fairly obvious where they came from.
Old October 15th, 2007, 11:50 PM
Admiral

Gee what a great topic !
Adventure Of The Seas-05
Navigator Of The Seas-04
Carnival Paradise-04
Carnival Pride-03
Sea Princess-02
Soverign Of The Seas-02
Carnival Imagination-01
Carnival Destiny-00
Carnival Fascination-97
Big Red Boat-93
Nordic Prince-82
Old October 16th, 2007, 05:03 PM
Familiar Face

"Good night and don't let the bed bugs bite" - somehow, I don't think I'll look at that greeting in quite the same way any longer....
Old October 16th, 2007, 10:13 PM
Admiral

Just this morning there was quite an article in our newspaper regarding these little buggers and the comeback they are making.
It basically pointed out that in recent years we have more and more people vacationing, traveling further, etc. With transportation what it is today, you can be on vacation today and a thousand miles away in a day or two and so can the bedbugs that may have hitched a ride with you.
The artticle pointed out ( what was already said here ) how easily the bugs can be transported from place to place-- luggage, clothing, shoes, on the person, etc.
Per the article, in my home county in 2004 there were 7 reported cases of bedbugs--7 cases in 2005, 70 in 2006 and so far in '07 there have been over 100 cases reported.
Apparently they aren't known to carry diseases but can cause redness, itching, etc. when they dine upon you.
So, bottom line is that unless a lot of people from my home county sailed Princess in the last couple of years, we can't blame this one on the cruise lines.
Old March 8th, 2008, 11:21 AM
Beginner

To everybody that is doubting where my bed bugs came from, I should have added that the first one that I saw was about 2 weeks after I came home from the cruise, I just didn't know what it was and thought it was a tick - it was in my master bath so I just didn't think that it was a bed bug. The second one also appeared in my master bath about a week later...It was only in September when I saw the third one on the wall in my bedroom, checked it out on line and realized that it was in fact, a bed bug. Then the mattress search began and there they were. This cruise was the ONLY vacation I went on all year so I think it was pretty obvious that they came from the ship. And to the person who questioned the $3,000 that I spent, that included a $1,300 mattress and box spring, all of my bedding, pillows, comforter, etc. I'm sure I've spent even more than that. Tossing out pictures on the wall, decorative pillows, etc. (check out the internet, you have no idea how these bugs get into EVERYTHING and I was NOT taking any chances) Maybe you're a better bargain shopper than I and you buy less expensive things for your home. In either case, until you have had bed bugs in your house, you have no idea how costly and frustrating this can be. This has become an epidemic and it's about time that people are aware of it. So much so that businesses are sprouting up all over offering services like bed bug sniffing dogs. see:http://www.advancedk9detectives.com/index.html

I have NO doubt whatsoever that these buggers traveled home with me in my luggage that was stored under the bed in my cabin. I just wish I knew who the person was in the room before and after me to share their grief!
Old March 8th, 2008, 10:24 PM
Admiral

Quote:
To everybody that is doubting where my bed bugs came from, I should have added that the first one that I saw was about 2 weeks after I came home from the cruise, I just didn't know what it was and thought it was a tick - it was in my master bath so I just didn't think that it was a bed bug. The second one also appeared in my master bath about a week later...It was only in September when I saw the third one on the wall in my bedroom, checked it out on line and realized that it was in fact, a bed bug. Then the mattress search began and there they were. This cruise was the ONLY vacation I went on all year so I think it was pretty obvious that they came from the ship. And to the person who questioned the $3,000 that I spent, that included a $1,300 mattress and box spring, all of my bedding, pillows, comforter, etc. I'm sure I've spent even more than that. Tossing out pictures on the wall, decorative pillows, etc. (check out the internet, you have no idea how these bugs get into EVERYTHING and I was NOT taking any chances) Maybe you're a better bargain shopper than I and you buy less expensive things for your home. In either case, until you have had bed bugs in your house, you have no idea how costly and frustrating this can be. This has become an epidemic and it's about time that people are aware of it. So much so that businesses are sprouting up all over offering services like bed bug sniffing dogs. see:http://www.advancedk9detectives.com/index.html

I have NO doubt whatsoever that these buggers traveled home with me in my luggage that was stored under the bed in my cabin. I just wish I knew who the person was in the room before and after me to share their grief!
Why are you back, bringing this up 6 months later? You made your point, you do not know where they came from, I have never heard of them being in a bathroom etc, but am not an expert. BTW, this is not something that is only a problem to Princess if indeed this is where they came from, hotels as well as other cruise lines are having a problem. As for bed bug stiffing dogs, all I got out of the website was a claim by someone they had dogs that could sniff out something that may or may not be there. Now maybe Ghost Busters could solve the problem when they run out of ghosts.
Old March 8th, 2008, 11:18 PM
Admiral

Wonder how the gangster " Bugs " Moran got his name??
Maybe he took an ocean voyage ???
Old March 9th, 2008, 01:14 PM
Passenger

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita
Why are you back, bringing this up 6 months later? You made your point, you do not know where they came from, I have never heard of them being in a bathroom etc, but am not an expert. BTW, this is not something that is only a problem to Princess if indeed this is where they came from, hotels as well as other cruise lines are having a problem. As for bed bug stiffing dogs, all I got out of the website was a claim by someone they had dogs that could sniff out something that may or may not be there. Now maybe Ghost Busters could solve the problem when they run out of ghosts.
I feel sorry for the OP and their bed bug problem. I am sure it was a very trying experience.

Unfortunately there is absolutely no proof as to where these little boogers came from. When taking any cruise you are also exposed to airlines baggage compartments, taxies, buses and tours that you may have taken in many places and to say that you can isolate and be so certain that you know just where they came from is quite a stretch of the imagination.

I could have been at your house for dinner and then come down with a cold two weeks later and say that I am certain that I caught the cold at your house, but I would be disregarding all of the other places that I may have been and I see no real difference in this case. While it certainly would be possible that I caught the cold at your house it is a thousand time more likely that I caught it somewhere else. IMHO, with absolutely no real proof I just can not how a thread that states that a Princess ship has bed bugs is just not being completely fair given the circumstances and lack of any real proof, but that is what these boards are for to give an opinion and the OP has offered an opinion and that certainly is their right to do so. There is a big difference, however, beween an opinion and fact.

Bed bugs that attack pictures hanging on the wall is certainly a new one to me.
Old March 9th, 2008, 02:28 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default Re: Princess Cruise Ship HAS BED BUGS!!! BEWARE

Quote:
We've been on 4 Princess cruises and thankfully have never encountered bed bugs. Sorry to hear of your unpleasant ordeal. These ugly little buggers can hide anywhere and "hitchhike" from anywhere.

I learned a lot by reading this article. They can come from anywhere and are on the rise again since DDT is no longer used.

http://science.howstuffworks.com/bed-bug.htm "...couches, upholstered chairs, bed frames, cracks in walls and molding, piles of clothing, ceiling holes for light fixtures and pretty much any dark, protected area is game for bed-bug housing. They tend to prefer wood to metal..."

If it will make you feel better by not cruising the Princess line, follow your plan. But, I'm sure you know that any other cruise ship, hotel, train, hospital, etc., could also be infested.

I understand you feel the bugs came from the Crown, but it is impossible to prove.

Hope your future travels are without those creepy crawlies.
Old March 9th, 2008, 05:53 PM
First Mate

Default It's Entirely Possible - All Hotels & Cruise Ships At Ri

I saw a 20/20 special on bed bugs several months ago. The hide under the baseboards and come out at night, using heat seeking ability to locate prey...then return under the baseboard or burrow inside the mattress. They are the size of a tick...flat until they feast on a victim and balloon out...like a tick.

You are at risk in any publicly shared sleeping space and the news program said to "never" put your luggage on the floor as they do crawl inside. I so sympathize with the person posting this problem and since they did not stay in a hotel, etc after the cruise...they likely did bring those pesky critters home with them.

It's wise to check the bare mattress as well as mattress pads for signs of previous food fests....small brown spots. If you see evidence....insist on another room or extermination and new mattresses, etc. I go on a cruise in June of this year and am staying in a hotel and B&B before/after....I will do the preliminary checks at all places. It's a sad fact...but won't keep me at home.
Old March 10th, 2008, 01:47 PM
Cruise Maniac

Just like FloridaRob, I too have run hotels all over the world... the best advice for anyone is to check the piping in your mattresses as well as under any padding or mattress protectors as soon as you enter your cabin...yes, you can also check behind the pictures and if the headboard is screwed to the wall, see what the gap is like behind it.

Ask your cabin steward what sort of training the houseleeping department receives -innocently saying how hard it must be for them to check for them, could gain you a little more insight.

Sadly, the reality is that hotels and ships get bed bugs. They can be in a room for weeks or even months before they are noticed.(depending on how crafty the little buggers are)

Transient hotels and those with a lot of airline crews are most at risk because you may only end up with one bite or a scratch and not think much of it. It is when you stay longer in the same room and the bites start to 'accumlulate' that you start to get suspicious. After 3 or 4 nights on board, if your cabin has bed bugs, you will usually know it.

I know from a hotel perspective, we debated whether we should contact past guests from the infested room to inform them to check their baggage and bedding at home but you are always left with the legal implications ... it's the same reason hotels don't call you when you leave something in the room (I made the mistake of calling a guest I THOUGHT I knew quite well- they stayed with us 6 times a year for a week or two-His wife had left something expensive behind... oops, the woman he introdiced as his wife was not... NEVER again-nearly got fired over it!)

I know it doesn't always sound right but this is the reality. Restaurants deal with the same type of accusation all the time when it comes to food poisoning. There is really no way to prove it so you should not agknowledge it.

If you suspect bed bugs, and your first check of your mattress does not turn up anything, check with the Purser's desk DESCRETELY ask to speak to a manager and CALMLY ask if they could have your cabin checked as well as the cabins around you. You may also ask if they would provide you with a comp visit to the ship's doctor to check out your bites. By handling the situation quietly, you will be well taken care of if it turns out to be bed bugs... if you leave the ship and do not feel that your were adequitely compensated, you will have your records and the names of personnel you dealt with and continue your complaint with your travel agent's assistance.

As a hotelier, any room I plan to spend the night in gets a thorough inspection before ANYTHING is unpacked... I am on my hands and knees looking at bathroom floors, under beds, in closets and behind dressers. It may sound weird but I hate staying somewhere and finding hair in the bathroom when I wake up in the morning and know that I can't say anything anymore...
Old March 11th, 2008, 08:42 PM
Passenger

We will be on the Crown in May. I would like to know what cabin the person who posted this was in ??? If I have that cabin or one close I can do a inspection and protect us.

Brilliance of the Seas

Celebrity Equinox
Old May 12th, 2009, 05:09 PM
Beginner

I am always afraid of bedbugs being in the cabin so I usually bring my own mattress protectors to put over the mattress. That way at least I'll be safe from the ones living in the mattress, if they're there. I know they can be in other places too but there isn't much I could do about that.