CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums

CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/)
-   Princess Cruise Lines (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/princess-cruise-lines/)
-   -   Toddler in Balcony Room. Ease my mind Please! (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/princess-cruise-lines/341129-toddler-balcony-room-ease-my-mind-please.html)

motorcitykitty October 13th, 2007 10:14 PM

Toddler in Balcony Room. Ease my mind Please!

:cry:

We are taking our 2 year old grandbaby on our cruise. We worry about Her being in a mini suite cabin with a balcony. Could really use some of your advice regarding safety.

My Daughter said take all the furniture off the balcony.
My Husband said bring a gate (baby gate)
I say both and find out what the cruise ship recommends and people at cruisemates.

Help ease my FEARS....
Thanks Theresa in Detroit.

CA Cruiser October 13th, 2007 10:51 PM

Your 2 y/o grandbaby will not be able to open the door or slider to the balcony, it is just too big and heavy. It goes without saying, she won't be out there unless you are so there is that safety feature also. It will be a nice place for you to rest while she is napping. Enjoy!

motorcitykitty October 14th, 2007 07:36 PM

Thanks for that reply. I'm hoping that is the case. We have emailed Princess and requested added security for the balcony door. Just to be safe. Our Grandbaby is very strong and tall for her age. :D

sunluva7 October 16th, 2007 05:09 PM

Just as you would do at home - the baby is only on the balcony when you are! Otherwise, the door stays closed and locked.

Divemaster October 16th, 2007 06:15 PM

Re: Toddler in Balcony Room. Ease my mind Please!

Sorry, but I would not take my kiddo in a balcony room at that age. An outside cabin with a sealed window is an alternative. I'm the father of a now 12 year old kiddo who has safely cruised about a dozen times since age 1. Safety first says this Dive Pro and Life Guard. 8)

Quote:

Originally Posted by motorcitykitty
:cry:

We are taking our 2 year old grandbaby on our cruise. We worry about Her being in a mini suite cabin with a balcony. Could really use some of your advice regarding safety.

My Daughter said take all the furniture off the balcony.
My Husband said bring a gate (baby gate)
I say both and find out what the cruise ship recommends and people at cruisemates.

Help ease my FEARS....
Thanks Theresa in Detroit.

cruisinbuddy October 21st, 2007 06:55 PM

I have to agree with divemaster. I know you can be extra cautious with locks and gates etc but for me I just wouldn't take the chance.

motorcitykitty October 21st, 2007 07:44 PM

I'm really paranoid. Especially with what happened at the Grand Canyon this past week. We are considering changing rooms and them not having a balcony room. Better safe than sorry.

What do you all think?

Ron October 21st, 2007 09:28 PM

You asked-- I personally would not have a 2 year old on a balcony period.
Yes, more than likely it would be perfectly safe but there's always a possibility and should a child that small go off the balcony ---well, you know the rest .
Apparently you already have doubts so put your mind at ease and go with an outside cabin. Skip the balcony.

watchurdiet October 21st, 2007 11:07 PM

I would really be afraid to take a balcony cabin with a small child. Ease your mind and get an inside cabin or a cabin with a window. You'll sleep better at night if u do.[/b]

Sanibel*Gal October 22nd, 2007 01:13 PM

I agree...I would really hesitate to go with a balcony with small children. Kids can squeeze in & out of places they don't belong in a matter of seconds.

msblackjack October 22nd, 2007 01:53 PM

I cruise to relax; I don't think I could relax worrying about a toddler getting on the balcony by accident. Book a nice oceanview room for piece of mind.

cherrybomb November 3rd, 2007 09:45 PM

We just got back last week on the Golden. Had a balcony. Lock was broken. I (wife) had a hard time opening and closing the door. I absolutely wouldn't worry about the balcony door. It is so heavy. No toddler could ever open it!!! That child would have to be superchild to open itl. Really.

Manuel November 5th, 2007 07:54 PM

With a child anything can happen. One careless moment could be a tragedy. As a father of three, I would not be comfortable with a child on a bacony cabin.

Manuel

LisaK November 7th, 2007 09:40 AM

the slider to the balcony is very heavy, a toddler could not open it.
the slider has a lock on it.
a toddler would have to pick up the lounge chair or table, take it to the rail,place it against the partition, climb onto the chair/table , heft themselves up and over the railing.

mehawk November 7th, 2007 10:46 AM

Little ones on ships make my head swim in worry. Just thinking out loud... why can't adults wait until the child in in their teens before cruising?

danacline November 7th, 2007 04:18 PM

>>Just thinking out loud... why can't adults wait until the child in in their teens before cruising?

I'll field this one. I do it primarily so my kids will have fond memories of their childhoods. At 50, I remember a lot of my childhood, but I especially remember the travels we did, and some of the thrilling activities I did.

My daughters (ages 16 and 11 now) have (so far) swum with stingrays (Grand Cayman), swum with dolphins (Cozumel), inner-tubed thru a cave (Belize), and zip-lined thru the rainforest (also Belize). On our next cruise, we'll be kayaking in a bioluminescent lagoon (San Juan) and parasailing (Half Moon Key). These are memories they'll have forever.

motorcitykitty November 15th, 2007 10:34 PM

BTW princess does provide childproof gates. Just faxed them. I hope this is for real.

nmnita November 16th, 2007 02:46 PM

It is hard enough to cruise with a 2 year old period, I can't imagine having a balcony cabin, no matter how careful you are. Yes, opening the door would be almost impossible for him, but I still wouldn't consider it. this is just my opinion. Others may disagree.

Nita