Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Princess Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old October 26th, 2007, 02:53 PM
Passenger

Send a message via Yahoo to jondirk
Default First time with Princess Cruises

Couple newbie questions for anyone who's been on the Dawn or similar ship.

I know you can pay for a flat priced, coke card but do you get a insulated cup with the cost to carry with you or just the sticker on your ship card? Reason I ask, is I had a really nice sippee style cup to carry with me and take home after the cruise.

How much are the covers at the steakhouse and do they serve lobster there on formal night as an alternative to the larger restaurants?

How much is the icecream bar, I heard Princess has a nominal charge for icecream?

I've been on NCL's Alaska cruise and really enjoyed it, just wondering how similar these points will be between the two lines.

Thanks.
Old October 27th, 2007, 11:07 PM
Cruise Maniac

Hello....I have never been on Dawn Princess, however I just boarded the Crown Princess today and boy is it gorgeous. There is a cover charge for the speciality resturants, $20.00pp and they do serve lobster at one of the speciality resturants at least on the ship I am on. The ice cream here is $3.25 but they have tons of different kinds of toppings...yummy! Have a great cruise!

Jessie
CCL: Celebration 5/07
Crown Princess 10/07

Free Cruise Clocks
Old October 28th, 2007, 10:03 AM
First Mate

Princess ships usually offer free ice cream in the horizon court around 3:30 or so. It's good, but I really don't mind paying for the Hagan Daas...much tastier!
Old October 28th, 2007, 01:00 PM
Cruise Maniac

We sailed on the Golden Princess in Sept. You can purchase the coke card, which is actually a sticker placed on your cruise card. You'll also get an insulated sippy-type cup to use for refills and it's your to keep. If you don't want to carry your cup around all day, just show the sticker on your cruise card to any server and they'll bring you your soda. Happy cruising!
Old October 28th, 2007, 09:48 PM
Passenger

don't know if this addresses what you are asking but i remember having lobster on the second formal night in one of the anytime restaurants... don't need to go to the specialty place to get that.

never paid for the ice cream at the parlor... just ate it with lunch/dinner... don't think that the free ice cream is as good of quality (texture, richness) but the flavors were more fun. i had some white chocolate ice cream that was pretty yummy.

don't have a means for comparison (only been on the one cruise... so far) but found the food on princess to be good but not memorable. the one thing i really loved and look forward to eating again was a crab quiche appetizer that was an option on one of the formal nights... that was veeerry delicious! and my fiance still has dreams of some crazy chocolate dessert he had... doesn't remember what it was called just remembers it as the "choco-gasm" lol!
Old October 29th, 2007, 12:55 AM
Passenger

Wow, no wonder they charge a big for it if it's Haagen Daaz. I'll have to check it out.

Thanks for the info guys, really looking forward to cruising on the Dawn soon.
Old October 30th, 2007, 10:21 PM
Passenger

Well, I just got off the Crown Princess and we paid $31 for a soda pass and that included a insulated metal cup with cover.

There is a charge for ice cream, like around $3 but I didn't like it at all. It doesn't taste like your usual soft serve. I had a few bites and threw it out. Though, flavored sorbets and ice creams offered in the dining rooms for free as dessert are very good. One night I had blueberry sorbet and it was great. Real, fresh blueberries inside.

On the second formal night, there were lobster tails offered in all the dining rooms so if you want to hold off until then, it's worth it. I know the restaurant that offered lobster regularly had a cover charge to eat there then another charge for lobster. Not worth it.
Old October 30th, 2007, 10:30 PM
Passenger

Wow, gettin' ya twice for the lobster - not a very good policy. I can understand paying a small cover of $15.00 but even on the NCL Sky, that cover included anything on the menu once you were inside and even seconds on the lobster if you wanted.

I've got friends at work that are now telling me I would fit right in with the majorities if I wore a sports jacket, collared shirt, tie, and Dockers. I'll do what it takes for my lobster.
Old October 30th, 2007, 10:49 PM
Passenger

This was our first cruise and I knew there was a Captain's night but didnt' realize there were 2 formal nights. My finace went unprepared, he didn't bring a jacket. So those nights we ate in the buffet But luckily we ate at Sabatini's the last night (which was a complimentary dinner because there was a group of us of about 30) and there I finally had my lobster. Woohoo! lol. Sabatini's was nice and I believe worth the $20 cover charge. You'd be just fine with the attire you mentioned.

Next time I know how really formal those nights get, so we'll be prepared. But I know from speaking to staff that on the second formal night, there is lobster tail in all the dining rooms.
Old November 2nd, 2007, 09:27 AM
Passenger

Send a message via MSN to Drewt Send a message via Yahoo to Drewt

We were on the Coral Princess this year and the second formal night included lobster tails. Our server kept bringing platters of lobster tails until we could not eat any more. The next night they did the same with King crab legs. We did try the specialty restaurants for an extra $20.00 and when we ordered the lobster tails, we also had a second platter dropped off. No extra charge was paid beyond the entry fee. Trust me, you will enjoy your cruise and the food. The deserts are divine....
Grand Princess March 2009

Read and post cruise reviews

Read and post cruise reviews
Old November 11th, 2007, 09:10 PM
Passenger

jondirk, we're sailing on the Dawn on December 2nd. Is that when you're sailing? We are trying anytime dining this cruise so anxious to see how that works. We think it will be fun to meet new people.