Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Princess Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old November 8th, 2007, 01:46 PM
Passenger

Default Emerald Princess Reviews (Bad??)

I was just on another forum and saw some VERY bad reviews of the Emerald. I hope this isn't true, but if anyone has sailed on her recently I would appreciate your thoughts / review. Also, are they using the same crew as they did in the Med.?

Emerald Princess 11.16.07
Maasdam Nov.'05
Dawn Princess Jan.'03
Grand Princess Dec.'02
Sponsored Links
Old November 8th, 2007, 08:11 PM
Beginner

What forum did u read this on? I'd like to read it as a few of my friends are on it now and I was thinking about cruising on it next year.[/b]
Old November 8th, 2007, 08:38 PM
Beginner

Yes, please, I'd like the answer to that as well. Which forum was it? Thanks.
Old November 9th, 2007, 11:19 AM
Beginner

There is a bad review it's on Cruise Critic (if I can say that) but some of the replies are from people that were on the same cruise and they had a great time.

There is also a couple of live from the Emerald and everyone seems to be having a wonderful time. I was a little worried as we are planning a family reunion on this ship but after reading what the other people have posted I'm on a wait and see.

Christine
Old November 9th, 2007, 12:29 PM
Passenger

Yes, it was on Cruise Critic. The comments are very long and very descriptive. I'm going on the Emerald a week from today, and this has got me a little worried...

Maasdam Nov.'05
Dawn Princess Jan.'03
Grand Princess Dec.'02
Old November 9th, 2007, 05:00 PM
Admiral

Stephen, I am just off the Emerald Princess November 6th. Over all a very fine cruise. One can find fault if you want, are there chair hogs yes, but for the number of people it seemed less crowded than other cruises we have been on. I find if you go with a positive attitude and don't let the little stuff bother you, you will have a great time. Have a great trip. Mike
Old November 9th, 2007, 07:17 PM
Captain

Default Re: Emerald Princess Reviews (Bad??)

Quote:
Originally Posted by lukefox
I was just on another forum and saw some VERY bad reviews of the Emerald. I hope this isn't true, but if anyone has sailed on her recently I would appreciate your thoughts / review. Also, are they using the same crew as they did in the Med.?
Hi lukefox: I have not sailed the Emerald yet but was on the Island this year and had a wonderful time with no complaints. I used to be on the site that you mentioned and frankly I would believe what you read here on cruisemates much more than I would on that "other" site. Barring major problems or a poorly maintained ship there will always be some on any cruise line that will complain about something. Sometimes their complaints are justified and sometimes they are not. The Emerald is a new and beautiful ship and I don't think you have a thing to worry about.

I have sailed the Grand class Princess ships but not the real big ones, yet. My understanding is that there is even more to do on the larger ships.
I am sure you will have a fantastic cruise and can not wait to hear your report when you return.

You don't happen to have an empty extra large suitcase for me to hide in do you? I will probably be shoveling snow while you are basking in the warm sun!
Debra

Winston Churchill

email: debra2106@yahoo.com
Old November 10th, 2007, 07:57 PM
First Mate

I was on the same voyage and had similar issues as some of the posters on CC.

Overall, we had a fantastic cruise and in my opinion, the ship, food, itinerary, cabin steward and entertainers (guest & line) were excellent.

The service however, particularly by the dining and passenger services staff, was by far the worse we have ever experienced. Did it spoil the cruise? Absolutely not. I can tend to overlook quite a bit but I will probably not jump at the next chance to sail with them if I have an alternative for the same itinerary. Things happen and I understand that but it was more the handling of issues once brought to their attention that bothered me.

I say don't think twice about it. Things may fall short at times but for everything I found that did, there was so much more that was better than I could have ever imagined!

As for your question about the crew being the same as they had in the Med, at least some of them are. Our steward, Chanakan, said she had been onboard since it launched.

Enjoy your cruise!

Old November 12th, 2007, 07:40 AM
Passenger

Thanks to everyone for your input!! I know, I know...I'll be on a cruise ship...stop complaining!! I've said it to myself a hundred times already. I think once I get on the ship, all that doubt will melt away. Mike, I know what you mean about the "positive attitude", I worked in the customer sevice industry for almost 10 years, so I have a little more patience then most people, so I'm hoping that if there are any problems, I'll handle it with patience and understanding.

4 MORE DAYS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Again, thanks to everyone for your replys!

Maasdam Nov.'05
Dawn Princess Jan.'03
Grand Princess Dec.'02
Old November 19th, 2007, 02:33 PM
Passenger

I have just come off the Emerald Princess and can't say that the review I read was correct. We have a fantastic time. The ship is a monster, but after the first day, the people seemed to know where to go to get away from it all. Some times the Movie Under the Stars was to load, but we learned with to go to get away from it.

The Anytime dinning was fine, service was slow, but each time we just mentioned to the waiter that we had plans after dinner and it was fine. We had two kids under 10 with us and the kids programs was fantastic, kids menu at dinner and even in the buffet you could ask for a simple peanut butter sandwich and there was no issue getting it.

Only criticism would be the "service fee" or tip, one daily rate per person with a percentage going to all the staff. When I questioned it, the pursers would not tell me what percentage went to the different areas on the ship, apparently it was a company secret. My issue was, with eating in the buffet most nights (because of the kids) and know one ask us the cabin number, so who got the tip? All the purser would suggest was that I should reduce my daily amount, when I said that then it would not be fair to the cabin steward, they did not reply, and ask what amount I wanted to give. The "traditional" method was the best and fairest.
Old November 21st, 2007, 07:18 AM
Passenger

Hi ...

Re the Emerald Princess. First, I should explain that we are great RCCL fans, so tend to compare everything with that cruise line!

We have just returned from two, 10-day back to back cruises on Emerald Princess, and when I read the very negative reviews on Cruise Critic, I wondered whether these people had been on the same cruises ... or are they just very difficult to please.

We thought that the service (with minor exceptions) was the best we'd experienced, in 37 cruises! And how can anyone complain because waiters bring the drinks and silverware in the buffet? This is the only ship we've known that doesn't require you to juggle your food, silverware, and drinks in the buffet .... great service. And waiters bring morning coffee to passengers sitting on the deck .... not seen that before.

There were things about the layout of the ship we didn't like ... and we thought it was "tacky" to have to pay for hot chocolate as an alternative to coffee in the dining room at breakfast.

But ... nothing is perfection, and some people forget that they are individuals among 3,000 passenger, all of whom are demanding personal attention. and if you don't let the minor things blind you to the overall quality of the cruise, then you'll have a great time.

One additional note ... I bet the passenger whose life was saved because the ship's doctor called for volunteer blood donors is more than happy with this cruise ... the nitpicky suff pales by comparison.

And though our preference for RCCL remains in tact, we'd sail on Princess again ...

Emily Frost
Old November 29th, 2007, 03:31 PM
Cruise Maniac

I think cruise reviews are similar to food or movie critic reviews. Take them with a grain of salt. Everyone has different expectations --- some vary by the hour! Go with the positive attitude of having a wonderful cruise and don't sweat the small stuff. We're booked on the Emerald Princess on her 2/14 sailing and aren't worrying about the small incidentals that often get folks "prickly". Of course, that's not to say that the devil doesn't sometimes play havoc with a good time.
Old November 29th, 2007, 03:37 PM
Admiral

I too think cruise ships are like food and many other things, very subjective. I have read (on CC) negative reviews on the Golden as well but am not concerned about our upcoming cruise. I have been reading about how horrible the NCL Pearl has been lately and how bad the Star is not to mention the latest comments about RCI. My opinion and that is all it is: we are all very spoiled, we expect perfection at every corner.

Nita
Old December 12th, 2007, 01:44 AM
First Mate

We sailed on the Emerald on 11/16/07 to 11/27/07 and it was great. The ship is about 6 or 7 months old, and to date for us it was the best Princess ship we have been on. You will love it.
Old December 12th, 2007, 07:20 PM
First Mate

Well, I have pretty much changed my mind about Princess though I posted favorably (overall) above. Let me say this, things have to be really bad before I ask to speak to a manager, most less take the time to write a company.

As I mentioned before, there were several service issues, some major in my opinion, so I took the time to write them as recommended by a supervisor onboard. I’ll try and summarize as much as I can.

As others and myself have said, dining service was lacking and after the 3rd night, we never went back. On that night, we ordered iced tea four times and finally received it well after our entrees arrived. Courses were not delivered together. Two of us received the incorrect entrée, not switched, just wrong. Though we all ordered dessert at the same time, it was delivered in multiple rounds and coffee was not poured until the final dessert arrived around 15 minutes after the first. The waiter then disappeared without offering creamer, which we had to end up getting from a passing water. When we tried to bring this to the attention of the headwaiter upon leaving the dining room, he handed me a comment card and rushed off before I could get a full sentence out.

Our account was double-charged several times and it took multiple visits to passenger services to correct. In fact, we just got the final credit this past week.

Excursion transportation is never guaranteed as we all know. However, we were on a 4.5 hour tour in Grenada that was supposed to be on a luxury air conditioned tour bus. We ended up with a small cramped van with no air. Several elderly people were in very bad shape because of the heat and I could hardly walk (due to cramped seating) at the end of our tour. Four different groups from that tour were at the shore excursion desk when it opened. Just so you know, my group did not demand credit but the woman was very rude to everyone whether they did nor not. She promised to speak with the tour operator and get back with us, which she never did.

One of the passenger services reps outright lied about one of the credits we were due and about her supervisor being on duty. What she didn’t know is that it was her supervisor that asked me to come down to the desk not five minutes earlier. When I finally got to speak with the sup, I let her know about the rep and that is when she suggested I write Guest Relations. I thought it was pretty odd she didn’t just handle it but whatever….

The luggage handlers damaged our oxygen concentrator during disembarkation – cracked case, missing wheels and the power cord was ripped out of the machine. The Princess terminal staff (not security) had me running back and forth for over an hour between the inside terminal and the crew/guest security checkpoint around the corner carrying the concentrator back and forth through the other 3,000 passengers trying to disembark. Nobody seemed to have a clue what they were doing.

This weekend I received a very unprofessional and poorly written letter. The representative used the same pre-written paragraph over and over, just changing the first sentence or two to address each issue above. I would think those in charge of correspondence at that level would have the authority/ability to tailor the response but I guess not.

This leaves me feeling very frustrated and hugely disappointed. I expected more of Princess Guest Relations and only wrote the letter because one of the crew members, a supervisor from Passenger Services, recommended I do so.

It is highly unlikely that will ever sail with them again.
Old December 18th, 2007, 02:03 AM
First Mate

We cruised on the Emerald from 11/16 to 11/26 and it was great. The ship is beautiful. Try the Crown Grill one night, you will love the food.
This is a new ship, the crew was great as usual.
Old December 21st, 2007, 08:03 AM
First Mate

Send a message via MSN to gfleo

Just to give you an example. I cruised last month on the Norwegian Pearl, and before going on that cruise I read dozens of negative reviews, especially about the service and food. I must tell you that I boarded the ship with a "whatever"attitude.I must tell you,I 've found out that nothing, but nothing of that to be true. Food was very good and service excellent. If you see below , you will see that it was my 6th cruise for this year alone, so had plenty of "fresh" material to compare!
Caribbean Princess
C. Destiny
N.Pearl Nov
C.Valor Sept 2008
Ruby Princess
C.Splendor
Indy
Liberty OTS 2009
Carnival Liberty
Eurodam
Radiance OTS
Mariner OTS
C. Freedom
C. Triumph
Navigator OTS(TA)
C.Dream
Solstice 2010
Costa Fortuna
Summit
Norwegian Dawn
C.Glory Sept 2011
Brilliance OTS 2012
Mariner OTS (TA)
Liberty OTS
C.Breeze 2013
C.Conquest
Serenade OTS TA
C.Sunshine 2014
Indy
Vision OTS
Old December 21st, 2007, 01:23 PM
Passenger

Quote:
Originally Posted by gfleo
Just to give you an example. I cruised last month on the Norwegian Pearl, and before going on that cruise I read dozens of negative reviews, especially about the service and food. I must tell you that I boarded the ship with a "whatever"attitude.I must tell you,I 've found out that nothing, but nothing of that to be true. Food was very good and service excellent. If you see below , you will see that it was my 6th cruise for this year alone, so had plenty of "fresh" material to compare!
WOW - 6 Cruises in one year....Good for you, but I am soooo jealous!

We have an upcoming cruise on the Emerald in Oct. 2008 and can hardly wait! We take all the "negative" with a grain of salt too..... For us - if we're on a ship we are happy cruisers!
Old January 1st, 2008, 02:21 AM
First Mate

I don't know what reviews you read but We sailed on the EP from 11/16 to 11/27 and it was great.
A mega ship but with a small ship style. The crew was great, the food was the best. I don't think anyone had any complaints. Take a cruise on the EP and see for yourself, I believe you will enjoy yourself.