CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums

CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/)
-   Princess Cruise Lines (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/princess-cruise-lines/)
-   -   Things to do in Cabo, Puerto Vallarta and Mazatlan (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/princess-cruise-lines/342352-things-do-cabo-puerto-vallarta-mazatlan.html)

Nancyjw November 11th, 2007 07:55 PM

Things to do in Cabo, Puerto Vallarta and Mazatlan

We are taking the Mexican Riviera cruise on Princess on December 2nd with stops at Cabo, Puerto Vallarta and Mazatlan. We booked a shore excursion at Cabo but none for Puerto Vallarta and Mazatlan. Any suggestions for either shore excursions or things to do on our own in those two ports?? We are in our 50's, not big drinkers but were thinking of checking out the night life in Puerto Vallarta, but obviously do not know were to start in that regard.

Cruuuzer November 12th, 2007 10:08 PM

We are doing the same three cities and like you, only have plans for Cabo. For the other two spots, we are taking cabs to the shopping areas. The Golden Zone in Mazatlan and then Old Town in Puerto Vallarta.

nmnita November 12th, 2007 11:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cruuuzer
We are doing the same three cities and like you, only have plans for Cabo. For the other two spots, we are taking cabs to the shopping areas. The Golden Zone in Mazatlan and then Old Town in Puerto Vallarta.

we just did a similar itinerary on another line and will be going on Princess in January. I was not at all impressed with Puerta Villarta. I doubt we will get off the ship. the shopping was ok.

Nita :cry:

CA Cruiser November 12th, 2007 11:06 PM

We enjoyed the Pacifico Brewery Tour in Mazatlan. They had T-shirts, hats and misc items for sale at the end of the tour for very cheap, like $1.25 for a t-shirt. We have also done the Madera (?) tour and the Cabo City tour that included the cactus garden and glass blowing, it covered most of Cabo. Since we have done this itinerary a few times, we stayed on the ship in PV and enjoyed to pool and 2 jacuzzis by ourselves for 2 hours. Enjoy!

RTV God November 14th, 2007 08:54 PM

We just did that cruise at 2 weeks ago.

In PV we did the canapy zipline thing. It was a lot of fun. If you arn't really afraid of hights I would suggest that. We had a friend that did the ATV, and really enjoyed it. The shopping in PV is ok. Cabo has the best shopping but you don't stay there long enough to do that and an excursion. If you want to go to the flee market do it at the pier. The one in town is a long walk from the rest of the shopping. One warning about bringing alchole onboard in PV. We had a couple infront of us at the check point at the pier who had put vodka or rum in a water bottle to bring onboard. The security person shook the bottle and saw all the bubbles that it made and opened it to smell, and then took it away. However, we had some friends that brought a sealed bottle onboard and the people at the scanners didn't say anything. So if you plan on bringing any alc. on keep it sealed in a bag. You have to be back on the boat at 5 or so, so you wont be able to see the nightlife.

Just a heads up on taxi's in PV. They don't seem to feel that the lanes mean anything there. They just go were there is room for the car to fit. I would recammend wearing your seatbelt.

In Mazatlan we got a 4 seat ATV and drove ourselves around the town. It only cost us $25, but we did have to sit thru a 1 hr timeshare thing. It was worth it though for the freedom of going were we wanted when we wanted. I would say that the shopping in PV is better than Mazatlan. I would suggest doing a excursion there. IF you go to the light house be warned that the sewage treatment plant is at the bottom of it and the smell WILL make you gag.

jack124 November 15th, 2007 09:33 AM

puerto valarta is a great port the zipline was fun and the last time we chartered a small boat, 3 hrs $50,and he took us out to see demi moore's palace along the shore
also , pelicans diving into the water for food was spectacular, catching it on film . cabo we tried the same thing . we got off the ship and a local tried to sell us a time share, had a friend who took us out. 3 hrs $75 was a rip. no lifejackets, could not speak english as we were told, sloooo boat, puttered along only for an hour. had to get the local cop to help and get $50 back. cabo was definately beautiful inland

bethcb November 30th, 2007 11:11 PM

I've done this cruise 5 times. Recommend in cabo doing a snorkel excursion on a catamaran. Otherwise, take taxi to The Office and enjoy a day at the beach. In Mazatlan, stay on the ship. Not much going on there. However, if you want to do some beach stuff, as the shopping is not too good, recommend you book a room for the day at the El Cid Resort. Take the lease expensive room, usually under $70 for the day. You can check in, use their lounges, pool and towels. Its beautiful. In PV, have done lots of excursions. Best is the Yelapa waterfall, snorkel and beach day. If you want, after the excursion, may have time for shopping in town. Short taxi ride.

nmnita December 1st, 2007 11:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bethcb
I've done this cruise 5 times. Recommend in cabo doing a snorkel excursion on a catamaran. Otherwise, take taxi to The Office and enjoy a day at the beach. In Mazatlan, stay on the ship. Not much going on there. However, if you want to do some beach stuff, as the shopping is not too good, recommend you book a room for the day at the El Cid Resort. Take the lease expensive room, usually under $70 for the day. You can check in, use their lounges, pool and towels. Its beautiful. In PV, have done lots of excursions. Best is the Yelapa waterfall, snorkel and beach day. If you want, after the excursion, may have time for shopping in town. Short taxi ride.

Beth, the PV thing sounds great. we may give it a try. Like I said earlier I wasn't overly crazy about PV. In Cabo we booked through the ship: whale watching. This I can not wait to experience.

Nita