Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Princess Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old November 28th, 2007, 10:21 PM
Beginner

Default Customer Service is a Princess Priority?

We are veteran cruisers. #39 starts 12/03/07 on the Star Princess from Rome. We will make the best of it.

Ms. Jan Swartz is the Senior VP in charger of Customer Service and Sales. You judge what kind of customer she offers or whether the bottom line (profit) is the norm.

We had a problem with a 2006 cruise when we booked through Princess' "professional" reservation agents. We had to cancel the cruise because of their incompetence and they refunded our money less than 30 days from embarkation. We decided to give them another opportunity.

Short story: they screwed up again and we were offered a $200/pp on-board credit. We asked for a simple upgrade from a guarantee. Instead, we got silence. After several attempts and different opinions from their customer sales people, we wrote directly to Jan Swartz and she passed our letter back to an underling. That individual Kristine W. stated in writing that after a thorough investigation, we were not offered anything--just enjoy the cruise--thanks for using Princess.

We will certainly make the best of this. However, we will return our Elite status card and cross Princess off our list. After being customers of theirs for more than 21 years, we deserved better!

------------------------------------
Holland America
Norwegian Cruise LIne
RCCL
Celebrity Cruises
Cunard
etc, etc, etc....39 cruises
Sponsored Links
Old November 29th, 2007, 09:26 AM
Admiral

you make a wonderful case for using your local professional travel agent.
Old November 29th, 2007, 10:19 AM
Admiral

Stuff happens. As for customer service, I will say one thing; My experience through the years has been princess has the worst. By this I mean the rudest agents and management if something goes wrong. This is the reason I haven't cruised with them until now. That being said, there are good and bad agents working for every cruise company, hotel chains, All Inclusives and even travel agents. I don't know what your problem was or if the OBC was appropriate, but I wouldn't let this stop me from cruising with Princess. Turning in your "elite" status is only hurting you. A loss of a customer here and there won't faze Princess. Think about it that way.

Nita
Old November 29th, 2007, 10:27 AM
Familiar Face

We are also platinum cruisers with Princess, and while I feel the service onboard is generally very good, I'd like to add that the folks on the phone at 1-800-PRINCESS are usually CLUELESS. I think a good majority of them have never stepped foot on a Princess ship. I've had some give me information that I know for a fact to be incorrect simply because I've been on the ship myself. I have had folks answer the phone who are genuinely willing to help, but simply do not know the answers to general questions.

Something they are doing right now is asking you at the end of a call whether you'd mind taking a brief 4-question survey. The problem with this is that THEY are in charge of asking you whether you wish to take the survey or not. This week I have called Princess 4 times. Two people I spoke to genuinely wanted to help and tried, but couldn't answer my questions and two did not care and made no effort. As you might guess, only the two who tried to help offered the survey to me, the others did not mention it. So, with that procedure, how is this survey going to give Princess any accurate picture of how they're doing customer-service wise?!?!?!

--Frustrated
Old November 29th, 2007, 03:33 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by lak1
We are also platinum cruisers with Princess, and while I feel the service onboard is generally very good, I'd like to add that the folks on the phone at 1-800-PRINCESS are usually CLUELESS. I think a good majority of them have never stepped foot on a Princess ship. I've had some give me information that I know for a fact to be incorrect simply because I've been on the ship myself. I have had folks answer the phone who are genuinely willing to help, but simply do not know the answers to general questions.

Something they are doing right now is asking you at the end of a call whether you'd mind taking a brief 4-question survey. The problem with this is that THEY are in charge of asking you whether you wish to take the survey or not. This week I have called Princess 4 times. Two people I spoke to genuinely wanted to help and tried, but couldn't answer my questions and two did not care and made no effort. As you might guess, only the two who tried to help offered the survey to me, the others did not mention it. So, with that procedure, how is this survey going to give Princess any accurate picture of how they're doing customer-service wise?!?!?!

--Frustrated
this seems to be the story everyone is giving regardless of the cruise line. As for not stepping foot on a ship before, I know most res agents haven't seen a ship much less cruised one.

Nita
Old November 29th, 2007, 05:09 PM
Admiral

You didn't state what the foul up was. I save my comments until I know the story.

Cruised more times than I can remember.

Good people sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

Courage and perserverance have a magical talisman; before which difficulties disappear and obstacles vanish into the air.

Pick your company wisely! Hang around people who are going to help you become all God created you to be.
Old November 29th, 2007, 06:25 PM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by mehawk
You didn't state what the foul up was. I save my comments until I know the story.
I am less than 18 hours from boarding the plane to Rome for 2 nights and then embark on the cruise. So, I am a bit time constrained.

Suffice it to say that in both instances the information available on both the Princess web site and from multiple customer service reps (or the lack thereof of correct info) was the cause of SNAFU's in both 2006 and presently.

I may have overreacted but I do expect exemplary service BEFORE I get on the ship. At the very least, knowledgeable people who actually get paid to do a job--but fall short of the mark so easily.

My wife and I will spread holiday cheer once we board the Star Princess. We'll overlook Princess' sad excuse for providing customer service until after the start of 2008.
Old November 30th, 2007, 09:23 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by veterancruiser39
Quote:
I am less than 18 hours from boarding the plane to Rome for 2 nights and then embark on the cruise. So, I am a bit time constrained.

Suffice it to say that in both instances the information available on both the Princess web site and from multiple customer service reps (or the lack thereof of correct info) was the cause of SNAFU's in both 2006 and presently.

I may have overreacted but I do expect exemplary service BEFORE I get on the ship. At the very least, knowledgeable people who actually get paid to do a job--but fall short of the mark so easily.

My wife and I will spread holiday cheer once we board the Star Princess. We'll overlook Princess' sad excuse for providing customer service until after the start of 2008.
Well, I still don't see what the SNAFU's were in either case. I hope when you get back you'll expound on the subject.

"A truly happy person is one who can enjoy the scenery on a detour."

Carnival Inspiration 2002 Carnival Elation 2004
Grand Princess 2004 NCL Sun 2005
Sun Princess 2006 NCL Dream 2007
Caribbean Princess 2007 NCL Dawn 2008
Island Princess 2008 Island Princess 2009
Golden Princess 2009 Carnival Conquest 2010
Grand Princess 2010 Island Princess 2011
Grand Princess 2011 Carnival Magic 2012
Carnival Dream 2012 Island Princess 2013
Carnival Magic 2013 Carnival Legend 2014
Sea Princess 2014
Old December 1st, 2007, 11:16 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fern
Quote:
Quote:

Well, I still don't see what the SNAFU's were in either case. I hope when you get back you'll expound on the subject.
Fern, when are you going on the Dawn? we will be on the Golden Jan 19th; we couldn't decide between the two ships.

Nita
Old January 25th, 2008, 01:48 AM
Passenger

That stinks!
I believe you need to push it up the line higher.
Write to the the top official. This is not OK for an elite member to get treated this way.
Make more noise.
They really are cheap about ever upgrading anyone. I am just below Elite on the colorful card chain and have never been upgraded and when I asked their corporate office to explain to me why I wasn't upgraded when the ship wasn't full they gave me the same kind of answer you got!
Old January 25th, 2008, 03:32 PM
First Mate

My wife and I are Platinum members, and I have found that if you book thru your travel agent vs. Princess you will get better results. I tried once to book thru Princess and was disappointed. My travel agent is the best and we have never had any problems (AAA). Don't give up your status. You can write to Mr Alan Buckelew, President and CEO of Princess Cruises, maybe you can get better results.

Carnival 3x
Princess 6x

180 days until next cruise The Emerald Princess 12 days Greek Isles - Venice to Rome
Old January 27th, 2008, 02:08 PM
Admiral

Lindazoo, what stinks? You don't know what the problem was since the poster never revealed that info to us. The cruise was in November, he's long since back and never bothered to re-post.

With ever larger ships carrying 2,500 or more guests at a crack, do you expect highly personalized pre-cruise service in every case? If you do, you are dreaming. Either make the arrangements you want yourself, or have a competent travel agent do it for you. But don't expect the CEO of Princess or any other line to personally bend over backward to right every perceived wrong. It just doesn't work that way. And it's the same with HAL and every other line.

Polynesia, Carib. '86
Cr. Odyssey, Scandinavia, '91, 30 Day S Pac. 2002
Crystal Harm, Aust., N.Z., '94
Royal Odyssey, AK,'96
Old Cr. Pr. Canal, '97
RCCL, Carib, 1998
Volendam, Car, 2000
Ryndam, 35 day S. Am., Antarctica, '03
Is. Pr., Canal, 2004
Statendam, 34 day China, Japan, AK '06
Cr.Pr., Carib. 08
Eurodam, Atlantic, Med. '10
Golden Princess
Old January 28th, 2008, 02:16 PM
Beginner

Default Re: Customer Service is a Princess Priority?

Quote:
We are veteran cruisers. #39 starts 12/03/07 on the Star Princess from Rome. We will make the best of it.

Ms. Jan Swartz is the Senior VP in charger of Customer Service and Sales. You judge what kind of customer she offers or whether the bottom line (profit) is the norm.

We had a problem with a 2006 cruise when we booked through Princess' "professional" reservation agents. We had to cancel the cruise because of their incompetence and they refunded our money less than 30 days from embarkation. We decided to give them another opportunity.

Short story: they screwed up again and we were offered a $200/pp on-board credit. We asked for a simple upgrade from a guarantee. Instead, we got silence. After several attempts and different opinions from their customer sales people, we wrote directly to Jan Swartz and she passed our letter back to an underling. That individual Kristine W. stated in writing that after a thorough investigation, we were not offered anything--just enjoy the cruise--thanks for using Princess.

We will certainly make the best of this. However, we will return our Elite status card and cross Princess off our list. After being customers of theirs for more than 21 years, we deserved better!

Holland America
Norwegian Cruise LIne
RCCL
Celebrity Cruises
Cunard

If you had a guarantee cabin that's usually because the ship is pretty full at that point which would make the upgrade impossible at that point.

I agree that you should use a travel agent if you are not getting what you expect when you deal with Princess directly.

I too am an elite member and I am amazed at how many complaints I see on these boards as I have always had good service from shoreside and onboard.
Old February 6th, 2008, 03:29 PM
Beginner

I had a problem on my first cruise with Princess last year. I tried to surprise my wife with their honeymoon package, and two straight days they didn't bring anything to my room. The people at the service desk and everyone I spoke to on the phone seemed genuinely concerned at day 2 because that meant they didn't have a leg to stand on saying I forgot to do something. In the end I got the package free of charge, which was the right thing to do considering the amount of time I spent at that desk on my honeymoon. If it weren't for that I likely would have looked outside Princess, but since it was taken care of I am looking for my second. Everything else and everyone I dealt with was very fiendly.

edit: I should add that I had arranged this long before the cruise.
Old February 6th, 2008, 06:51 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Customer Service is a Princess Priority?

Quote:

Holland America
Norwegian Cruise LIne
RCCL
Celebrity Cruises
Cunard