Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Princess Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old November 29th, 2007, 04:15 PM
Familiar Face

Default New trend ? (I hope not)

We just returned from a cruise on the Island Princess and we noticed something we have not encountered on prior cruises. An hour or so prior to showtime a few passengers are coming in, placing sweaters or whatever on the seats and leaving and coming back just prior to the show. We pointed this out to a crewmember in the theatre and his reply was "they think of everything don't they !" We hope this is not spreading from the pool "chairhogs" to the theatre.
Sponsored Links
Old November 29th, 2007, 05:07 PM
Admiral

I hope not either. That needs to be nipped in the bud now!

Good people sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

Courage and perserverance have a magical talisman; before which difficulties disappear and obstacles vanish into the air.

Pick your company wisely! Hang around people who are going to help you become all God created you to be.
Old November 29th, 2007, 06:30 PM
Beginner

Default This is happening on many cruise lines, unfortunately

Been there, saw that. March 2007 was that way on the Norwegian Dream. Expect better of Princess but then again, I've been burned by Princess lack of enforcement before. Likewise, I say "shame on them."

And I will stick my neck out and stereotype what age group is doing this: older seniors. Guess they think no one will challenge them. This is one area where I suppose those in their 20s or 30s don't bother...for them, many of them, the shows are so-so.
Old November 29th, 2007, 08:18 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip

This is nothing new...and it will take people calling the seat hogs to task for it to change....

On one cruise, we went to the theater, and from the back, running down the aisles screaming, came kids, running, to sit in all the front seats...As showtime drew closer, the parents of these, "seat savers" came in and sat down, in their saved seats, and the kids repeated their rants, back up the aisles! I was morfified to be honest!

I always wondered why adults, feel the need to save seats, as if they were in kindergarten...Walking in as a group and sitting together is quite different then, holding seats for pals, with different time agendas. I have literally seen whole rows saved...should be 1st come first served!

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator

Old November 30th, 2007, 11:34 AM
Admiral

I guess I am hardheaded enough to take a seat and tell the imposed person that there is no seat saving policy on board. I would challenge them to get the staff to tell me to move. The staff couldn't because of the policy.

Good people sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

Courage and perserverance have a magical talisman; before which difficulties disappear and obstacles vanish into the air.

Pick your company wisely! Hang around people who are going to help you become all God created you to be.
Old November 30th, 2007, 12:25 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by mehawk
I guess I am hardheaded enough to take a seat and tell the imposed person that there is no seat saving policy on board. I would challenge them to get the staff to tell me to move. The staff couldn't because of the policy.
That is exactly what I do. I just tell the savers that saving seats is not allowed and we just sit down.

They look at me in disbelief and I just smile at them.

SS Norway (12 times) '85 - '97; Radiance OS 06/01; Island Princess 11/04, Grand Princess 11/04/05, Golden Princess 7/21/06, Golden Princess 2/24/07, Explorer of the Seas 12/23/07, Island Princess 11/15/08
Old November 30th, 2007, 03:54 PM
Admiral

I did exactly the same thing aboard Caribbean Princess the last time we sailed her. The lovely Mrs. Jones (Vita) and I strolled into the theater only to find three kids saving a whole center section of seats. There were no other seats available, so I sat down in one of them. One of the kids stated that they were saving these seats for their "family". I politely told him that saving wasn't allowed. His father arrived on the scene and when there weren't enough seats to suit him, he said that the seats were being saved. I did exactly what you suggested. Oddly enough, he didn't think it was important enough to "report" me. I don't mind someone saving a seat for their husband, or wife while that person goes to the bathroom, but especially sending kids to save entire sections of seats is unacceptable!

Ken
"Sky"
Old December 8th, 2007, 01:19 PM
First Mate

We just got off the DP last Monday & the cruise staff did chase about 5 or 6 older kids out of the front row one evening. I didn't really take notice if they had been saving seats or not.

On another night on couple come in & wanted to sit in vacant seats & one guy informed them that he was holding the group of seats for his party. Some words were exchanged, which I couldn't hear, & the next thing that happened was the two of them were cursing at each other & they took their scuffle outside.

On another note, Princess pool guys do not enforce keeping small kids out of the hot tubs (even ones in diapers), although this doesn't bother me since I never utilize them.
Old January 3rd, 2008, 06:45 PM
Passenger

If the seat is empty, SIT IN IT
What is the crew going to do
Stand up for your rights
Old January 4th, 2008, 08:36 AM
First Mate

Send a message via MSN to gfleo

I was on the Sept.2-9 2007 sailing on the caribbean princess, and on the last night of the trip in the sky walkers disco we were treated on a NEVER seen "live" lesbian show, and absolutely no crew member did anything to correct it. Obviously they were enjoying it too.
Caribbean Princess
C. Destiny
N.Pearl Nov
C.Valor Sept 2008
Ruby Princess
C.Splendor
Indy
Liberty 2009
Carnival Liberty
Eurodam
Radiance
Mariner
C. Freedom
C. Triumph
Navigator (TA)
C.Dream
Solstice '10
Costa Fortuna
Summit
Norwegian Dawn
C.Glory Sept '11
Brilliance '12
Mariner (TA)
Liberty OTS
C.Breeze '13
C.Conquest
Serenade TA
C.Sunshine '14
Indy
Vision
Vision
Eurodam
Regal Princess
Old January 4th, 2008, 10:49 PM
Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to CaptainEdwardJohnSmith

Quote:
Originally Posted by gfleo
I was on the Sept.2-9 2007 sailing on the caribbean princess, and on the last night of the trip in the sky walkers disco we were treated on a NEVER seen "live" lesbian show, and absolutely no crew member did anything to correct it. Obviously they were enjoying it too.
Sorry to say: OFF-TOPIC, has got absolutely nothing to do with topic at hand!

Captain
Old January 5th, 2008, 02:46 AM
First Mate

I agree, this is something Princess should take care of ASAP. Kids should not be holding seats for their parents or anyone else. When you enter and find a vacant seat you should take that seat.
The cruise staff should be made aware of this.
Old January 5th, 2008, 11:16 AM
First Mate

Send a message via MSN to gfleo

Yes I know it's off topic, I just wanted to show that the crew don't take action when it's needed.
Caribbean Princess
C. Destiny
N.Pearl Nov
C.Valor Sept 2008
Ruby Princess
C.Splendor
Indy
Liberty 2009
Carnival Liberty
Eurodam
Radiance
Mariner
C. Freedom
C. Triumph
Navigator (TA)
C.Dream
Solstice '10
Costa Fortuna
Summit
Norwegian Dawn
C.Glory Sept '11
Brilliance '12
Mariner (TA)
Liberty OTS
C.Breeze '13
C.Conquest
Serenade TA
C.Sunshine '14
Indy
Vision
Vision
Eurodam
Regal Princess
Old January 6th, 2008, 04:45 PM
Admiral

Default Re: New trend ? (I hope not)

Quote:
Originally Posted by hankm
We just returned from a cruise on the Island Princess and we noticed something we have not encountered on prior cruises. An hour or so prior to showtime a few passengers are coming in, placing sweaters or whatever on the seats and leaving and coming back just prior to the show. We pointed this out to a crewmember in the theatre and his reply was "they think of everything don't they !" We hope this is not spreading from the pool "chairhogs" to the theatre.
I am afraid, like chair hogs at the pool this will continue. It ticks me off to no end.

Nita
Old January 7th, 2008, 04:49 PM
Passenger

I for making place cards “CHAIR HOG� and placing them on those pool chairs which have been empty for hours except for a place holder item
I have seen chairs empty for hours only to have a person pickup their book and leave
Old January 8th, 2008, 08:58 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hancock951
I for making place cards “CHAIR HOG� and placing them on those pool chairs which have been empty for hours except for a place holder item
I have seen chairs empty for hours only to have a person pickup their book and leave
Perhaps, that was someone "STEALING" the book! Ah,,,,we can only hope so...

Ken
"SkyMaster"
Old January 8th, 2008, 08:23 PM
First Mate

What really makes my blood boil is when the seat saver turns away one after another and in the end, his/her friend, spouse, or whatever, never even shows up and the chair goes empty during the show. I've seen that happen more than once.

It's really annoying, especially on Princess, with the rows so close together. Each time someone heads for the saved seats, it's a huge inconvenience as you really have to stand up to let people through and sure enough, the chair hogs always save the middle seats... seems like it anyway.

Old January 11th, 2008, 01:46 PM
Admiral

The chronic seat savers only get away with it if we let them.

P.S. I'm sure I speak for lots of guys when I say I'm sorry I missed the lesbian show!

Polynesia, Carib. '86
Cr. Odyssey, Scandinavia, '91, 30 Day S Pac. 2002
Crystal Harm, Aust., N.Z., '94
Royal Odyssey, AK,'96
Old Cr. Pr. Canal, '97
RCCL, Carib, 1998
Volendam, Car, 2000
Ryndam, 35 day S. Am., Antarctica, '03
Is. Pr., Canal, 2004
Statendam, 34 day China, Japan, AK '06
Cr.Pr., Carib. 08
Eurodam, Atlantic, Med. '10
Golden Princess
Old January 11th, 2008, 02:00 PM
Admiral

The only bad part of our cruise was not being able to get into the shows.
While playing blackjack, a lady excused herself for "her shift". Seems that there were groups of 5 or 6 saving seats in 20 minute shifts. This way no one really put out any effort.
An hour before the show, the entire lower section was saved and a lot of the upper was filled.
And then 5 minutes before the show...a mad dash to their seats.

I would have pushed the issue but the welcome show the first night was so bad I saw no point.
They should close the doors until 30 minutes before the show.
The squatters can squat in the hall.
I find it vey easy to stop "line cutters" who had their space in line saved.
Old January 18th, 2008, 02:22 PM
Cruise Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by mehawk
This trend is becoming common behavior. We'll have to try that if we ever can't find two available seats that aren't being saved.

Like "skymaster" we wouldn't mind a person saving one seat while their partner is taking care of business....but it's very frustrating when folks try to save entire rows of seats. tsk, tsk
Old January 19th, 2008, 02:21 AM
Admiral

mehawk,

Quote:
Originally Posted by You
Better yet, gather up the articles and put the heap in a chair off to the side of the theater (or, if time allows, take them to the purser's desk as "lost and found" yourself) while your spouse or "significant other" holds a seat for you. When the people return and find that their belongings are gone, they will reconsider that tactic.

Also, be absolutely certain to write a suitable comment about the need to enforce the policy on your comment card at the end of the cruise and encourage other passengers to do likewise. You can always write "(See Attached Sheets)" in the space provided on the form and attach additional sheets with your comments. On Princess, the staff do read all of the comments to identify action items based upon a combination of cost or effort required and number of mentions.

Norm.
Old January 22nd, 2008, 07:28 PM
Passenger

Okay, I have to add my story to this list of posts. We were on the Crown this past August without our kids. We took to hanging out at the "adult only" pool in the back of the ship. One a.m. after breakfast while my husband was on his way to eat I went to the pool, didn't find any empty chairs. Two couples that were "regulars" called to me and said that the two empty chairs near them had been empty since 7:00 that a.m. The husband came, put his stuff on the chair, said he was going to breakfast for about 1/2 hour. By the time I got there, it was almost 10:00, 3 hours later, the folks near the chairs, said, hey 1/2 hour is okay, 3 hours, we'll stand up for you. I nicely stacked his things on a nearby table. Time passes, my husband comes. We're now enjoying our morning, etc etc. Around 11:30, this guy shows up and without warning starts swearing at us. No need for nice conversation apparently. We told him, we were told he had been gone a long time, blah blah blah, plus no seat saving. Proceeded to make a scene and swear at us some more. The whole deck is watching. Guy comes over to the chair next to mine (an older woman had just left for a minute), takes her stuff off the chair and throws it off and onto the floor. Her sunglasses almost went overboard. Sits down and proceeds to stare at me for about 15 minutes. Finally realizes he isn't bothering us, gets disgusted and leaves, in the interim, his wife was so embarrassed she left.

That was the worse thing that ever happened on any trip. But just so its known, this same "man" was seen later that night (formal night) storming across backdrops etc. right in front of cameras where people were getting pictures done. Some people just don't get it.
Old January 23rd, 2008, 09:49 AM
Cruise Maniac

Sorry to sound dumb but does this mean that it's OK to save a seat for your spouse? Are we all in agreement? Is there a general 'time limit' ?

I have often gone to events (not just on cruise ships) and 'saved' a seat for my husband who 1. hates waiting in his seat due to his long legs blocking everyone 2. Smoked (used to) 3. Is such a 'joy' when he is bumped and knocked into a hundred times with purses etc... I usually 'encourage' him (in otherwards I kick him out) to take a walk once he knows where we are seated...

I just want to make sure I am not going to be at the recieving end of some of your experiences!

Does the same apply to poolside? I like to get up every 1/2 to 1 hour or so and stretch my legs... I am usually not gone for more than 5 mins but as long as 15...(I seem to run into people and lose track of time) I doubt I will stop this practice if it's not acceptable... I would go crazy if I had to look for a spot each time...
Old January 23rd, 2008, 10:11 AM
Cruise Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadianCruiseBooker
Sorry to sound dumb but does this mean that it's OK to save a seat for your spouse? Are we all in agreement? Is there a general 'time limit' ?

I have often gone to events (not just on cruise ships) and 'saved' a seat for my husband who 1. hates waiting in his seat due to his long legs blocking everyone 2. Smoked (used to) 3. Is such a 'joy' when he is bumped and knocked into a hundred times with purses etc... I usually 'encourage' him (in otherwards I kick him out) to take a walk once he knows where we are seated...

I just want to make sure I am not going to be at the recieving end of some of your experiences!

Does the same apply to poolside? I like to get up every 1/2 to 1 hour or so and stretch my legs... I am usually not gone for more than 5 mins but as long as 15...(I seem to run into people and lose track of time) I doubt I will stop this practice if it's not acceptable... I would go crazy if I had to look for a spot each time...
Personally, I wouldn't have a problem with a person saving ONE seat for their spouse, or vacating their chaise by the pool for a quick trip away.

I think the issue is with the chair hogs that run out early in the a.m. and "save" their chaise with a book or towel and then don't show up for hours, or vacate the chaise for hours and then return "mad as a hornet" that someone else is "in their chaise". The issue with seat savers, is those folks that try to save a "bunch" of seats, which makes it very difficult for folks who spot empty seats, make their way to those seats, only to find out that the seats are "taken" or "saved".

On some cruises a chaise by the pool and a seat in the theater is hard to come by and some folks tend to think that it's "all about them" and their common courtesy goes overboard!
Old January 23rd, 2008, 11:15 AM
Cruise Maniac

Thank you... I feel much better! I didn't want to start a riot

you mean.... It's NOT all about me??? I'm crushed...
Old January 23rd, 2008, 12:49 PM
Admiral

I completely agree with the "one seat" rule.
As I mentioned, my problem is when 6 people alternate for 20 minutes each....for the mathematically challenged that is a good two hours of saving with no real effort expended by anyone. I am talking about the shows, not the pool.

This subject bums me out because this was the only negative part of our cruise on the Ryndam.

I explained this on my comment card. Can I take it any further?
Anyone have an email address that I can send a letter to?
Old January 23rd, 2008, 06:16 PM
Cruise Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadianCruiseBooker
Thank you... I feel much better! I didn't want to start a riot

you mean.... It's NOT all about me??? I'm crushed...
Sorry to crush your world CCB.... I appreciate your sense of humor.
Old January 28th, 2008, 03:50 PM
Beginner

If you are coming into the theater and see these saved seats and can't find a seat, I would just remove the sweaters, or whatever is on those seats. If children are sitting around saving seats, then it's a problem to be taken up with the theater manager.
Old February 3rd, 2008, 12:02 AM
Beginner

I agree. Personally witnessed Soccer mom ot at the exact moment that chairs were available on the Mariner of the Seas placing towels on 7 chairs next to the pool. She left and I quitely went down and moved them all tho the upper deck. Oh well. Follow the rules.
Old February 3rd, 2008, 08:08 AM
Admiral

Just off the Golden, after a couple tries we gave up on seeing shows. Even 20 minutes before show time there were people holding seats for others. That was one of the downfalls on Princess. I have seen this before but can usually find a seat 15 minutes before show time.

Nita