Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Princess Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old December 2nd, 2007, 05:15 AM
Passenger

Default princess customer service issue.

Hello everyone,

I cruise often at least 2 times per year. However this will be my first time on princess May 2008 to alaska. I booked one year out for a mini suite cat AE garantee. So I noticed that they had assigned me a cabin and I looked it up and it was the last cabin at the back of the ship with set twin beds that could not be moved and only a shower. So my problem is this will be my daughter graduation so I decided to splurge a bit with the mini suite, however this mini suite has only a shower and these fixed beds and I felt like that was not what was advertised so I called them up. Long of the short I ended up paying an additional $400.00 to upgrade to cat AA to pick a cabin which now has a bath tub etc. I feel like this is fraud and asked the customer service rep to have her boss call or e-mail me about this and guess what they took my money and have never responded? Has anyone had this problem? I told the customer service rep this would be my first princess cruise however I do cruises frequently and placing a person who fully paid for the cruise up front and one year in advance should receive a decent room or at least what they advertise and she was clueless why I was upset. Princess way to go to keep good paying customers piss them off before they board.
Sponsored Links
Old December 2nd, 2007, 02:36 PM
Admiral

I htink I am a little confused: first you booked a guaranteed cabin, I am sure, as a veteran cruiser you know you can be given any cabin in the catagory you booked or in some cases you do get upgraded. Becasue you didn't like what you were given you choose to upgrade and pay more: You got the catagory you booked, I don't think you have anything to complain about. I may be missing something here.

Nita
Old December 2nd, 2007, 04:27 PM
Admiral

You didn't mention which ship. I thought all mini-suites have the opton to be made into a queen and all mini-suites have a bathtub. I have never know anyone to get a cabin assignment this far out for a May 2008 cruise when booking a guarantee. The chances of it changing would have been pretty good and you might have gotten an upgrade for free. Maybe you miss read the cabin description and that is why the representative was "clueless" as to what you were asking for. JMHO.

#36-Carnival Splendor 9/16/12
7 night Mexican Riviera
Retirement Celebration

#37-Allure of the Seas 11/11/12
7 night Eastern Caribbean

#38-Celebrity Solstice 4/8/13
17 night Tahiti -- Sydney-Honolulu
40th Anniversary Celebration

270 days at see; soon to be 302
Old December 2nd, 2007, 11:37 PM
Passenger

We had something sort of similar -- we booked while onboard the Golden in October and picked a mini suite that looked like it would have a larger balcony. It was not aft-facing but the last cabin on the side, on the Sapphire. It was not a guarantee-catagory. Once home we looked into it a little better and heard it was a handicap cabin with a drain in the middle of the bathroom, shower only and beds could not be made into a queen. The balcony was quite a bit bigger. I think the cabin # was 737, but I'm not positive. Our TA called Princess who said it wasn't a handicap cabin but it was a shower only and beds could not be made into a queen (which is clearly stated in the brochure). We switched to another mini suite. Still not sure if it is a handicap cabin or not (conflicting answers) but for sure that balcony is larger. We might try to sneak a peak into that cabin when we sail her. I think the layout is a little different, too.
Old December 3rd, 2007, 05:01 AM
Passenger

Default Mini suite problem with Star princess

Quote:
Originally Posted by Idaho Spuds
We had something sort of similar -- we booked while onboard the Golden in October and picked a mini suite that looked like it would have a larger balcony. It was not aft-facing but the last cabin on the side, on the Sapphire. It was not a guarantee-catagory. Once home we looked into it a little better and heard it was a handicap cabin with a drain in the middle of the bathroom, shower only and beds could not be made into a queen. The balcony was quite a bit bigger. I think the cabin # was 737, but I'm not positive. Our TA called Princess who said it wasn't a handicap cabin but it was a shower only and beds could not be made into a queen (which is clearly stated in the brochure). We switched to another mini suite. Still not sure if it is a handicap cabin or not (conflicting answers) but for sure that balcony is larger. We might try to sneak a peak into that cabin when we sail her. I think the layout is a little different, too.
Yes, this is the type of cabin I was given. The mini suite description states TUB not shower only with two twins that can not be moved to make a queen. Yes, my cabin was assigned but I felt that with such a crappy cabin given I should just pay the extra and not leave it to chance to be upgraded or moved since there first choice of a cabin for us was not what we were interested in.
Old December 3rd, 2007, 06:40 PM
Passenger

I think you did the right thing. Nothing worse than getting onboard and being disappointed with the cabin. Now you can look forward to that Mini Suite. They are great! Enjoy.
Old December 4th, 2007, 08:44 AM
Admiral

unfortunately that is the risk you run when you book a guarantee. The cruise line can stick you anywhere and in any cabin in the cabin catagory that you booked no matter what
Old December 26th, 2007, 02:03 AM
First Mate

I think you did the right thing by calling Princess. I have never had this problem. If you don't the answers you are looking for, you might try a Mr.
Alan Buckelew, he is the President and CEO of Princess Crusies.
I don't have a contact number, but his office, might be in
Santa Clarita,Ca.
:)
Old December 28th, 2007, 11:38 AM
Cruise Maniac

Is it me or am I missing where the travel agent did his/her part in contacting Princess and resolving this issue??

Sorry but I spent hours on the phone with Princess last week resolving a booked passenger issue. I did not back down, I made sure that the issue was resolved to my passenger's (and my) satisfaction. A good agent will go to bat for you and also discuss all the possible scenarios with you and your booking. That agent would have also explained the Gtd cabin process and your cabin choices in the first place.

In my experience and through dealing with GSAs from every cruiseline on a daily basis, I can assure you that Princess' are second to none... that being said, there are 'hiccups' in every organization (resulting in my 4 hours on the phone) I worked for years in the hotel industry and as a result, I generally know how to get what I want for my clients as the cruise industry is so very similar. There is a reason the cruiselines recommend travel agents and this situation is precisely why everyone should use one when booking a cruise. Sorry, am I ranting ....

By the way, if you are traveling with your daughter, why was there an issue with the beds not being convertable from twin.