Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Princess Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old December 5th, 2007, 09:31 AM
Beginner

Default Celebrity vs. Princess???

We are contemplating 2 southern caribbean cruises in March: Celebrity Summit or Crown Princess. We've been on Celebrity 8 times, RCCL 10, HAL Zuiderdam 2 x's, NCL 2 x's, but never Princess. Are a bit nervous/unsure about making the switch. Have been reading on various message boards that the Summit is in need of refurbishment (scheduled for drydock in April 08, I believe?) Celebrity has always been our favorite cruise line but I've been hearing negative
things about the current condition of the Summit, but we like the itinerary.
RCCL cruises out of San Juan are considerably (& surprisingly more $$).
If any of you have been on both lines, please let me know your thoughts.
My husband & I are in our late 40's and our top priorities are the food/service and nice accomodations. We're not late night party people and can take or leave the shows. I'm starting to stress about our decision - currently have a hold on Summit. Crown traditional dining is waitlisted as of now - DH won't go if we can't get traditional dining, which we prefer.
Sponsored Links
Old December 5th, 2007, 06:20 PM
First Mate

Made our first trip on Princess since they bought out Sitmar cruise lines years ago.In Feb we did back to back cruises on Star Princess and one nite in Ft. Lauderdale and then boarded Caribbean Princess.The alternative restaurants give you a choice between a steak house and a very upscale Italian which gives you the opportunity to sample many different courses with the main course being your only choice.The champagne pyramd nite was a lot of fun and movies under the stars was a nice change You will not go wrong with Princess and we have numerous cruises with many different Celebrity ships but not on Summit so can,t comment on this one.
Old December 6th, 2007, 11:17 AM
Admiral

Default Re: Celebrity vs. Princess???

Quote:
Originally Posted by RosiePosie
We are contemplating 2 southern caribbean cruises in March: Celebrity Summit or Crown Princess. We've been on Celebrity 8 times, RCCL 10, HAL Zuiderdam 2 x's, NCL 2 x's, but never Princess. Are a bit nervous/unsure about making the switch. Have been reading on various message boards that the Summit is in need of refurbishment (scheduled for drydock in April 08, I believe?) Celebrity has always been our favorite cruise line but I've been hearing negative
things about the current condition of the Summit, but we like the itinerary.
RCCL cruises out of San Juan are considerably (& surprisingly more $$).
If any of you have been on both lines, please let me know your thoughts.
My husband & I are in our late 40's and our top priorities are the food/service and nice accomodations. We're not late night party people and can take or leave the shows. I'm starting to stress about our decision - currently have a hold on Summit. Crown traditional dining is waitlisted as of now - DH won't go if we can't get traditional dining, which we prefer.
WE too have not been on Princess but Celebrity. I know about the stressing thing cause I have been reading some comments about the Golden which we will be cruising next month. My opinion, don't get too worked up over these reviews. Remember those who have had a bad experience want the entire world to know, those who are satisfied just expect to be so they don't post as much. If traditional dining is important you can get it on Princess as well as Celebrity. Our last experience with Celebrity wasn't all that great either but it doesn't mean we wouldn't cruise them again.

Nita
Old December 9th, 2007, 11:46 PM
Admiral

Never cruised Celebrity because we were put off by all the complaining by cruisers offloading the line. Princess has been great the two times we cruised-Alaska on the Sea Princess, and the Southern Caribbean on the Golden-a great ship.
Adventure Of The Seas-05
Navigator Of The Seas-04
Carnival Paradise-04
Carnival Pride-03
Sea Princess-02
Soverign Of The Seas-02
Carnival Imagination-01
Carnival Destiny-00
Carnival Fascination-97
Big Red Boat-93
Nordic Prince-82
Old December 12th, 2007, 05:21 PM
First Mate

I think Princess should be your choice. The service is great, your choice of dining. I know people that have cruised other lines, but they always come back to Princess.
Old December 23rd, 2007, 09:48 AM
Beginner

Rosie, We've cruised on both Celebrity and Princess. We loved the Summit but that was a few years ago. Our last few cruises have been on Princess. The compelling difference, for us at least, is the size of the rooms. We found the mini-suites on Princess nicer than the available balcony rooms on X. My recollection is that the food is about equal with a slight nod to Princess. I do however miss the sushi bar on X. Either way you make the best out of every cruise. It's better to cruise than not to cruise!
Old December 23rd, 2007, 10:12 AM
Beginner

Sailed on both; we did not care for Celebrity-Galaxy, food was below par.
Crew was a little snippy. Took 15 day cruise last year to Hawaii on the Island Princess; outstanding cruise.
Evening dining was "anytime" you showed up with never a wait, and you pick the size table you wish to sit.
We had a balcony and the room was about above average.
I will say the room on Celebrity was larger than most.
Try Princess I think you will enjoy.
Old December 24th, 2007, 10:30 AM
Familiar Face

We too have sailed both and would have a hard time saying which was our favorite as the ships/service/food were equal. I would give Princess the edge on entertainment and the 2 adults only pools.
Caribbean Princess....Jan. 2007
Crown Princess.........Jan. 2008
Caribbean Princess....May 2008
Emerald Princess.......Jan. 2009
Emerald Princess.......Jan. 2010
Emerald Princess.......Jan. 2011
Old December 24th, 2007, 05:46 PM
Admiral

Celebrity used to be my favorite line, but lately Princess has surpassed them in almost every category! Princess ships are a cut above, IMO, and their food and service are second to none. Entertainment has always been strong aboard Princess ships, and that hasn't changed. I've been sailing Carnival a lot lately, mainly because of the price, but I'm due for a Princess cruise this year, so we'll be seeing you aboard.

Ken
"Sky"
Old December 27th, 2007, 02:58 PM
Passenger

Princess will be a fine choice
I beleive a cruise is made by you and the other passengers
Never a realy bad meal or cabin
Have had a few with service issues, but don't think that one or two people should dam the whole ship.
Old December 31st, 2007, 08:19 AM
Cruise Maniac

I agree, I have never been on a bad cruise. My wife and I are in our early 30s and have cruised all the major lines except for Holland America and have enjoyed them all. I like to look at ships on a ship by ship basis, not on a "cruise line" basis. Every line has better choices than others. No matte which you choose, it is still a cruise!
Old January 6th, 2008, 11:40 PM
Beginner

Hi there...I too love Celebrity but you will be very happy with Princess. The food is very good..better than RCCL..I have found that Celebrity has changed their menus and food has not been as good as in the past. I am going on the Crown on Jan 12th and would be happy to let you know how it is..Service on Celebrity is a little better than Princess..but I don't like a ship that is rundown..will be in touch if you like..Regards
Old January 13th, 2008, 06:57 PM
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by skymaster
Celebrity used to be my favorite line, but lately Princess has surpassed them in almost every category! Princess ships are a cut above, IMO, and their food and service are second to none. Entertainment has always been strong aboard Princess ships, and that hasn't changed. I've been sailing Carnival a lot lately, mainly because of the price, but I'm due for a Princess cruise this year, so we'll be seeing you aboard.

Ken
"Sky"
Skymaster, I agree with what you have said and the same is true for us.

After returning to Princess we could not but help but notice how much better maintained the Princess ships were than Celebrity ships.
On Celebrity there is also always the increased risk of a mechanical problem because of a flaw in the design of the Infinity, Summit and Millennium.

Winston Churchill

email: debra2106@yahoo.com
Old January 14th, 2008, 04:05 PM
Cruise Maniac

We've cruised on Celebrity twice - once on Mercury to Alaska about four years ago, and the Panama Canal on Summit last January. The canal trip and Summit are our favorites so far. The Summit was in fine shape a year ago. We're off to the Mexican Riviera later this month on the Golden Princess for our first cruise with Princess. Hopefully, we'll have a great time (we always do).
Old January 14th, 2008, 04:40 PM
First Mate

Send a message via MSN to gfleo

If you have never been on Princess, why don't you give them a try? The food is very good-especially if you are a seafood lover. I really enjoyed my cruise on the Caribbean Princess.

Besides that the Crown is a newer ship (2006)
Caribbean Princess
C. Destiny
N.Pearl Nov
C.Valor Sept 2008
Ruby Princess
C.Splendor
Independence OTS
Liberty OTS 2009
Carnival Liberty
Eurodam
Radiance OTS
Mariner OTS
C. Freedom
C. Triumph
Navigator OTS(TA)
C.Dream
Solstice 2010
Costa Fortuna
Summit
Norwegian Dawn
C.Glory Sept 2011
Brilliance OTS 2012
Mariner OTS (TA)
Liberty of the Seas

C.Liberty (Sept'13)
Serenade of the Seas TA (Nov '13)
Old January 14th, 2008, 10:13 PM
First Mate

If you go on the Crown you will have a great time. Give Princess a try,
and I believe you will enjoy youself. 8)
Old January 15th, 2008, 01:30 PM
Familiar Face

After 6 cruises with Celebrity, we were making a lot of comparisons to Princess. This was our first cruise w/Princess on the Coral Princess on February 7, 2007. These are my own observations and with many things, they may be subjective.

The bathrooms on Celebrity were bigger with shower stalls that were more rectangular in shape and height adjustable shower heads. Celebrity also had dispensers on the walls in the shower with shampoo and conditioner. Princess had all the bath amenities in cardboard containers on the vanity. We had 3 sets of towels in the bathroom on Celebrity but only 2 sets on Princess.

The room was lovely on Princess. I was surprised at how spacious it seemed. There was a very large, open closet with lots of hangers and a cupboard which contained the safe and shelves for our clothes. There were drawers in the nightstands and in the desk. There was bottled water to purchase in the room and an ice bucket in the small fridge but no pitcher of ice water changed twice daily like on Celebrity. The trash baskets had plastic liners on X but not on Princess which made you hesitate to throw anything messy in the container.

Celebrity had robes in the room. We had to ask for them on Princess. We have since discovered you can request them online prior to departure.

The Princess freshwater pools were great with plenty of deck chairs. Celebrity has saltwater pools. Celebrity also has unlimited pool towels out on deck. On Princess the pool towels placed in your room doubled as your beach towels. Beach towels were separate on X and were bigger and thicker.

I thought the food on Celebrity was more upscale. I was surprised to see plain white rice served with some of our entrees. We liked that the alternative selections were printed on the menu and you did have your option of white rice, French fries or baked potato with your entrée On Celebrity you have to depend upon your waiter to mention them to you and he usually only does it once at the beginning of the cruise.

I LOVED the dessert soufflés on Princess. Some other differences we noticed was that hot cocoa was free on Celebrity whereas you pay for it as a specialty drink on Princess. Of course it is served in a tall glass with whipped cream and sprinkles on top. You also had to pay for ice cream when you finally found the counter by the Spa pool. I had read somewhere that it was free at certain times in the buffet but we never found it.

The service is more formal on X. If my DH chose not to order an appetizer or soup, they brought his salad out while we were eating the other items. On X, he would be served the same course with everyone else. The bus boy acted as your wine steward, no sommelier making suggestions. The wine list on X is much more extensive.

Karl liked the dispensers for the hot beverages which came out very hot. This made for a nice cup of tea. The cups were also bigger than on Celebrity which offers a barely 4 ounce cup. Princess had a decent sized cup for coffee or tea.

Celebrity does have nice trays with cloth placemats in the buffet and waiters to carry it for you instead of just large platters that you have to juggle with your drink.

They also have a sandwich station all during lunch but Princess only had it from 3-4 PM in the buffet. I didn’t see it as a food option in the Princess Patter. Maybe it was only for those coming back from a late shore excursion.

The pizza on the Coral Princess was very good with an excellent crust.
I do have to hand it to Princess for the continuous buffet even if I don’t see the need for it to be 24 hours. Celebrity would shut down breakfast an hour before lunch where on Princess they would close one side of the buffet to get ready for lunch and continue serving breakfast on the alternate side until lunch was up and running. We never tried the buffet for dinner as we really liked the dining room experience for that meal.

Shore excursions: Princess really shines on this part of the experience.
The shore excursions were many and varied, with some unusual choices. You could be as active or sedentary as you liked. Celebrity’s excursions are rather humdrum with more of an emphasis on shopping.
Although, when coming back from shore excursions on Celebrity there is a tent set up on the dock for passengers where you could get a drink of cold water and/or fruit punch and a cold cloth for your fevered brow when you are returning to the ship.. There was nothing like that on Princess.

The production shows were terrific on Coral Princess and most of the entertainment was pretty good. But the theater only had a capacity of 600 on a ship with 1980 passengers. The sightlines were excellent but this was not set up as a "show lounge" like the Universe Lounge. If you were not sitting on the aisle, you could forget about that after-dinner drink as the theater was stadium seating and the poor drink servers would have to crawl over several people to serve you. Because we had early seating and the age demographic of this cruise was leaning into the high 80's we found ourselves racing to the theater if we wanted to get 4 seats together.
Celebrity’s theater will hold half the passengers and is set up as a “show lounge? with loveseat style seating and small tables to hold your beverages.

All in all it was a very nice cruise. Princess did a nice job with the shore excursions and the rooms. The ship was lovely and comfortable, except for the theater which was too small. We liked it enough to book a cruise for next month to take our adult children and their spouses on their first cruise. Celebrity did not offer a ship to the Western Caribbean at this time of the year.
Old June 8th, 2008, 02:41 PM
Cruise Maniac

After completing two recent cruises on the Golden Princess, I fully agree with the detailed evaluation by Shofer. We did not do excursions, except for one in Costa Rica on the Summit. Overall, I prefer Celebrity, but Princess comes in pretty high in most areas. Of all the ships I've been on I find the food seems best on Celebrity and Royal Caribbean, with NCL trailing by a large margin.
Old June 9th, 2008, 02:42 PM
Captain

It's been a long time since we cruised, but now we're booked on the Crown in October. We weren't able to consider a Celebrity ship since they aren't bake in the Caribbean yet.
In my expereince I prefer Celebrity, the food was more elegant(and delicious), the dining room service was exquisite. . . . but Princess is more comfortable. They do an outstanding job with Shore excursions, and the absolute most important th ing is that they're going where I want to go when I can go!
Grandeur of the Seas, 8/99
Mercury, 11/98
Century, 10/97
Fascination, 10/96
Old June 10th, 2008, 08:49 AM
Admiral

honestly you can't go wrong with either Princess or Celebrity, if you really like the itinerary on the Crown and are feeling a tad edgy about the Summit then why not try something new and go for the Crown Princess.
As for being wait listed for Traditional dining on Princess its really no biggie, the food and the service is the same in the Anytime Dining rooms as it is in the Traditional Dining rooms, the only difference really is that you will have a different table and waitstaff in anytime, but if you find a table and staff that you really like you can request to be seated in their section.
Old June 11th, 2008, 10:07 AM
Familiar Face

Send a message via AIM to Marguerite

Never sailed with Celebrity before. I have to say, Princess is the best! We just returned from a cruise on The caribbean Princess. The ship was supposed to be refurbished before our cruise but it was postponed. My husband & I had a few concerns with the ship, one of which was a badly functioning air conditioner in our stateroom. they were always working on it, but really were never able to solve the problem. I wrote a very nice letter to them, stating our concerns and 1 week later, I received a letter of apology from them and a $950 discount for our next cruise. we never expected that!!! This makes for very good customer relations. Today, I am booking the exact same cruise for next year and the ship will be refurbished then! Whatever you decide, it will be great!
Marguerite
Old June 13th, 2008, 01:31 PM
Passenger

I have been on the Crown twice, and she is a great ship. I like both cruiselines, but find more choices on Princess. Shore excursions and shows. If they are offering the Chef's Dinner (extra charge) book it when you come aboard. You will not regret it.

happy cruising
Old June 13th, 2008, 01:31 PM
Passenger

I have been on the Crown twice, and she is a great ship. I like both cruiselines, but find more choices on Princess. Shore excursions and shows. If they are offering the Chef's Dinner (extra charge) book it when you come aboard. You will not regret it.

happy cruising