CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums

CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/)
-   Princess Cruise Lines (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/princess-cruise-lines/)
-   -   Crown Princess, first time on Mega-ship (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/princess-cruise-lines/344442-crown-princess-first-time-mega-ship.html)

richstacy January 7th, 2008 01:41 PM

Crown Princess, first time on Mega-ship

Hello CruiseMates!! Except for the last couple of days it's been several months since I've been around here. That's because we did not have a cruise scheduled. But now we have scheduled a fourteen dayer in an effort to defeat old man winter. :D :!:

We are on the Crown Princess March 15-29 out of San Juan, Eastern and Southern Caribbean. We are veteran cruisers and have been on Princess 3 times before, but this will be our first time on one of the mega-ships, or on any mega-ship for that matter. The largest we've ever been on before is the 75,000 ton Island Princess, a pana-max ship. Mostly we have been on more exotic longer cruises with HAL in the 50,000 ton class.

I have heard that the really big ships don't seem all that crowded because of traffic patterns etc. But I am a bit skeptical of that.

Has anyone been on the Crown princess or one of the sister ships? Can you offer advice on mega ship cruising? What should we expect? Do they use two doors in port? Two points for tendering? We have a verandah room amidships, and traditional, late seating dining.

DougR. January 7th, 2008 02:06 PM

Relax!!! Got back from the Crown in November and sailed its sister ship the Caribbean Princess the year before and never found either to be crowded at all. The reports are correct about the design helping with that feeling. At all ports disembarking/embarking in done from two doors, however, the people were bovine-like and tended to follow the crowd and cluster at the gangway where they saw others were waiting. Marj and I would go the the aft stairway in that case and boarded without delay. On this past cruise on the Crown we had no tendered ports (Tortola was supposed to be a tender port, but we docked instead) but on the Caribbean Princess we tendered at Princess Cays from one door only. Which deck are you on? We had one of the larger balconys on the Caribe deck, a bit aft, but we loved it.

Have a great cruise!!!!

richstacy January 7th, 2008 03:25 PM

Doug,
We are on the Caribe deck too, pretty much amidships. Thanks for the good wishes. And thanks for the helpful info!

Don't know if I can take another two months of cold before our cruise. Don't tell Al Gore, but the last two winters have been colder and snowier by far than is usual for Denver.
richard

DougR. January 7th, 2008 06:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by richstacy
Doug,
We are on the Caribe deck too, pretty much amidships. Thanks for the good wishes. And thanks for the helpful info!

Don't know if I can take another two months of cold before our cruise. Don't tell Al Gore, but the last two winters have been colder and snowier by far than is usual for Denver.
richard

I don't know Richard, last week I would have agreed as I walked from the train to work in 15 degree temps in Philly, today here in South Jersey we hit 70. Our past two have been abnormally warm as I never took a snow shovel out once last year and still have 150 pounds of rock salt stocked up. We did have about 5 inches so far this year.

Hot Nail January 8th, 2008 05:40 PM

I was on the first Princess mega-ship many years ago (I think it was the Golden Princess) and I felt no over-crowding. Actually, I have never felt overcrowding on Carnival, Princess, or RCCL. It says a bunch for the ship design. I will be on the Crown on 4 days and will let you know how it turns out! LOL

richstacy January 8th, 2008 09:01 PM

thanks, I will appreciate your impression! :)

Hot Nail January 8th, 2008 09:38 PM

I'm sorry, it was the Grand Princess that I was on. I don't even know if the "Golden Princess" is even a ship. I don't know what I was thinking. LOL

AndyandJohn January 11th, 2008 12:47 AM

mega ships!

Hello friends! Andy and I are VERY excited to sail on the Crowne this year. First we love Puerto Rico and have been there as often as we can. I actually like the bigger ships. In fact the bigger the better. There is something about the design of Princess Ships, they magically hide all the passengers. Unless you like to hang out in the photo gallery or the mid ship pools, you'll really be surprised at how much room really exists on these ships. We have booked a room on the very back for the second year in a row on purpose...first the balcony is much bigger and second the noise from the churn of the water when you open the sliding glass door is so soothing we have left the door adjar just to enjoy the sound of the water at night.

Of course, you'll run into lots of folks at dinner, or in the buffet and at shows, but that's when you expect to see folks. These ships are incredible in my humble opinion and this is our 5th cruise on Princess.

I hear that the Crowne is even more modern than its sister ships and I can't wait! See you in Old San Juan!

John
of
Andy and John

richstacy January 11th, 2008 01:29 PM

John, O.K., thanks -- you've got me sold! :D

willysgrandma January 12th, 2008 03:33 PM

We sailed the Crown out of San Juan and loved it. There are lots of nooks and crannies you can hide away - the ship really never did seem like ther were over 3,000 people on it.

Enjoy!

meld January 13th, 2008 12:33 PM

Hi,

We were on the Crown in August and are going again this February. It is the largest of the Princess we've been on. Most of the time it doesn't seem crowded. I had a couple of minor gripes, there wasn't enough "traffic room" around the main pools and a personal peeve, I hate it when people don't adhere to the "rules". There is an adults only pool, which we love, got into an argument with someone over "saving lounge chairs" one day. Also smoking when there's no smoking is irritating to me. Other than that, and those are cruise ship problems, it was great. Make sure to check out Sabatini's, the best we've had to date, it overlooks the same pool mentioned above. Also teens/kids at the adult only areas is annyoing. We were without kids in August, but every cruise we've been on our kids are very respectful of those areas in particular. I've seen passengers give attitude when asked kindly about removing kids from the area. That being said, this cruise was also out of NY (enough said) and every cruise we find different kinds of people travelling. The ship itself is beautiful, the food wonderful, the service and staff friendly and great. You'll have a great time.

paa5481 January 16th, 2008 03:39 PM

We went on a 14 day from san juan in jan 2007. See my review in ship reviews, I often caught myself wondering "where is everyone" even though the ship was sold out. :D Tom C

Seabeacon February 5th, 2008 01:44 PM

We were on the Caribbean Princess last year and only found crowds for the late morning shore excursions. We fortunately took the early ones which were not crowded.

DeepSpace February 6th, 2008 12:19 AM

We have been on several, and we sailed on the Emerald in November, and we are booked on the Emerald for July of 08, for the Greek Isles.

We did not feel crowed at any time. I think its due to the lay-out and design of the ship. You will enjoy yourself.