Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Princess Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old January 14th, 2008, 10:01 PM
Beginner

Default Princess Staterooms?

Hello Al,

My wife and I have just returned from our first cruise and are eager for our next..This time with our two children ....age 8,9.We are looking at getting an interior stateroom(we had a balcony last time and we were hardly in it).In the literature it indicates up to 4.I thought I saw or heard that the was a type of "bunk " or "ceiling" bed...can anyone give me an fyi on this bed or how the usual accomodations are for 4 in the staterooms ...Thanks a Bunch!!!1
Sponsored Links
Old January 15th, 2008, 08:02 AM
Admiral

Hi Fishman, glad to see you had such a good time.

We've had experience of both the fold down & pull down beds during our cruising. As you thought, they either fold back up into the wall, or push up into the ceiling. The only real difference being that the ones which push up leave the cabin looking more spacious.

When you first arrive, you will usually find the beds are 'put away' in their daytime positions, so that you can pack & freshen up with minimal intrusion. The when you go for dinner that night, your cabin steward will put the other beds into position & make all 4 beds up. Note. You will not be able to have a queen bed setup as the top beds need to use small ladders to allow the children to get in/out of them. So you will end up with 4 single beds.

In the morning, when the steward makes your room up again, the beds will be folded/pushed away again allowing the more open aspect again.

I would suggest that whilst you are looking into the cruise, you ask your agent to check prices for the larger cabins where the settee converts into a double bed. If the price isn't that much more, it may be another option.

Hope this help,

Welcome to the 'cruise addiction' :)

Alan & Katrina
followed by: Queen Elizabeth December 2014

History :
Golden, Grand(2), Caribbean, Sea(4+1 aborted)
Adonia(4+2), Arcadia, Artemis(2), Aurora(5), Azura(2), Oceana(3), Oriana(11), Ventura(2), Victoria(5)
QM2(2), QE2(9), QV(5), QE, Caronia(2), Minerva II, Fred.Olsen(8), NCL Jade, =X= Eclipse, HAL Ryndam
Old January 15th, 2008, 03:35 PM
Captain

I agree about looking into a larger room for the four of you. I don't know if any cruise lines have connecting cabins on their ships like hotels do but getting two connecting rooms, if any line has them, would be about the same price for an inside as the extra charge for two extra passengers.

Winston Churchill

email: debra2106@yahoo.com
Old January 15th, 2008, 06:57 PM
Passenger

I believe RCC has some ships with connecting rooms
Also have sailed with 4 to a room, it’s crowded
Try having everyone live in your bedroom ( probably larger) for a day
Old January 16th, 2008, 06:49 PM
Admiral

actually I think all lines have some connecting rooms, not as many perhaps as hotels, but they do have them.

Nita
Old January 19th, 2008, 12:20 PM
Cruise Maniac

Not all staterooms are set up to accommodate 3rd or 4th passengers, so be aware that your choice of rooms/decks may be limited. If you have no deck/room preference, it won't be an issue for you.

Glad you had a great cruise and are anxious for another cruise experience!
Old January 19th, 2008, 06:52 PM
Admiral

Ditto what they said above about the bunks. I can understand why you might not want a balcony with small children but an inside?? An ocean view room with at least a large window is not that much more. It is a matter of personal preference of course, but I will never cruise with an inside stateroom. Indeed, we are spoiled and will never go without a balcony/veranda now! Standing out there by your own rail in the evening in the tropics with drink in your hand, sigh! Now that is living

Polynesia, Carib. '86
Cr. Odyssey, Scandinavia, '91, 30 Day S Pac. 2002
Crystal Harm, Aust., N.Z., '94
Royal Odyssey, AK,'96
Old Cr. Pr. Canal, '97
RCCL, Carib, 1998
Volendam, Car, 2000
Ryndam, 35 day S. Am., Antarctica, '03
Is. Pr., Canal, 2004
Statendam, 34 day China, Japan, AK '06
Cr.Pr., Carib. 08
Eurodam, Atlantic, Med. '10
Golden Princess
Old January 22nd, 2008, 07:17 PM
Passenger

Princess does not have any connecting cabins. RC and possibly Carnival might. We go with our two children and get two inside. It is actually cheaper than doing 4 in one cabin. Our kids are old enough to stay by themselves, but you could always split up for the trip at night. Not the most romantic but its an option. Good luck.
Old January 24th, 2008, 09:25 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by meld
Princess does not have any connecting cabins. RC and possibly Carnival might. We go with our two children and get two inside. It is actually cheaper than doing 4 in one cabin. Our kids are old enough to stay by themselves, but you could always split up for the trip at night. Not the most romantic but its an option. Good luck.
The lovely Mrs. Jones (Vita) and I just sailed on the Carnival "Legend", and we happen to have a cabin that was an inside, which connected with a balcony cabin, so I KNOW that Carnival does offer these cabins, at least in the "Spirit" class ships.
I've never sailed aboard Princess in a connecting cabin, but I can't imagine that they don't offer these.

Ken
"SkyMaster"
Old January 24th, 2008, 12:29 PM
Passenger

I have stayed in those interior rooms with three adults and it is just barely manageable. there are two twin beds with bunk beds with ladders for two on top. Close space is limited so take little. The upside of these rooms is it is dark and you never know if it is day or night so you can sleep any time. Down wide is without an alarm you might now wake up.
For your family of 4 take 4 suite cases and limit their size. You can shove them under the bed so those on the bottom can just about use them as a drawer under the bed.
Princess is a great cruise line.