CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums

CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/)
-   Princess Cruise Lines (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/princess-cruise-lines/)
-   -   Mattress on Dawn Princess (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/princess-cruise-lines/345056-mattress-dawn-princess.html)

cruising sam January 18th, 2008 08:29 PM

Mattress on Dawn Princess

I booked a Mexican cruise in March 08 and wonder how good or bad are the mattress'. I know HAL ships have fairly new, deep, comfortable mattresses. Can anyone tell me how they were on a recent Dawn Princess cruise? LOL

richstacy January 19th, 2008 06:38 PM

I'm interested in the answer to this too since we are going on a Princess cruise soon. It is true that HAL has put in all new mattresses on the entire fleet and they are really great! I do not know if Princess has followed suit or not. The last Princess cruise we took, on the Island Princess, the mattress was a tad too hard. We told the steward and he got some of that foam "egg crate" stuff for us which helped a lot. But those Holland America mattresses are really nice. :D

CaptainEdwardJohnSmith January 20th, 2008 04:16 AM

Re: Mattress on Dawn Princess

Quote:

Originally Posted by cruising sam
I booked a Mexican cruise in March 08 and wonder how good or bad are the mattress'. I know HAL ships have fairly new, deep, comfortable mattresses. Can anyone tell me how they were on a recent Dawn Princess cruise? LOL

OP,
Order egg crates from your cabin steward the moment you board! JMO

Captain

cruising sam January 21st, 2008 01:49 PM

Thanks, for the advice. ' hope that the "orange crates" are available. We will request from steward upon embarking. We took a cruise from Ft. Lauderdale on Sun Princess two years ago and apparently no mattress upgrades since then. :cry:

JnTSFBay January 23rd, 2008 02:06 AM

Take no chances and bring your own memory foam

For us we have found a 2 inch or better memory foam addition makes a world of difference.

We get queen size toppers from overstock.com for about $85. We bring the box as piece of luggage and our cabin steward is happy to spread it out and keep it in place all week.

It used to be that we just let the steward keep it after a cruise but this time, next week, we plan to keep the packing box and take it home.

It's the best $85 cruise add on .... bar none!

lindazoo January 24th, 2008 12:31 PM

Princess says they are replacing all their mattress. Only I had one of the old blue ones and was not happy with it. I complained and the next day both of the mattress in our room where changed out to the new whie Sealy ones. Much more comfortable. Either way they are not pillow top top end types.

richstacy January 24th, 2008 02:33 PM

If the new mattresses are the kind that Holland America got, they will be fine. the problem with cruise ship mattresses is that there are no 'box springs' below the mattress, because of the luggage stow area below the bed. the new HAL mattresses are designed to be soft yet firm if that makes any sense and they are really nice. since Holland and Princess are both owned by Carnival, I'm sure they are going to a similar Sealy product, designed specifically for cruise ship beds. this is great news for those of us with touchy old backs. Will let you know if the Crown Princess has been changed over when we sail on her in March.

SRMX5 January 26th, 2008 02:42 AM

We did the Mexican Riviera on the Dawn Princess in Nov 2007. The mattresses were fine and we slept great. We had a balcony stateroom on the Aloha deck.

richstacy January 26th, 2008 01:21 PM

SRMX5,
Yeah well you look not a day over 50 in your pic in front of the little mermaid. I thought all mattresses were fine then too. :) Now that I'm 65 -- not so much. :cry:

Seriously, it seems the older we get, the better mattress we need.

My neighbor is a retired Continental AL pilot. He say, "Richard you know what they say about the golden years?"
I say, "Yeah Bob."
He says, "Well it's a bunch of crap!"
I'm inclined to agree.

superkid February 11th, 2008 01:49 AM

I went on the dawn princess in sep of 2006 and all of the cruises i had been on. The dawn princess was the worst ship i have been on

gfleo February 11th, 2008 06:25 AM

From all the six cruises I did last year, the bed on the Caribbean Princess was the least comfortable by far. RCI and NCL being my favourite by far

hunttr March 14th, 2009 07:12 AM

Caribbean Princess

I have to respond to the post about Caribbean Princess mattresses.I just got back from a cruise March 8,2009.I just found and joind this site because I am triing to find out if I can purchase a mattress like the one I slept on during the cruise.It was the most comfortable sleep I have had in a long time.Ouuuuuuuu :o

richstacy March 14th, 2009 01:33 PM

By the way, I never reported in after our cruise on the Crown Princess last spring. The mattress was fine! :) A great improvement over what Princess used to offer. I forgot to check the brand. :roll:

TravelMike March 14th, 2009 07:07 PM

Captain, what is egg crate. We have a pillow top at home is it similar to that? Thanks, Mike

richstacy March 14th, 2009 11:24 PM

Yes "egg crate" is just of form of fairly cheap foam material for a pillow top.