Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Princess Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old January 27th, 2008, 03:50 PM
Passenger

Default questions from first timer ?????????

I'm cruising the caribbean princess this summer with two teenagers, we have never cruised before. Hopefully some of our questions can be answered. One is a picky eater, will the dining room bring chicken fingers or pasta with butter, while the rest of us order off the menu ? We are big water drinkers, can we bring a case of poland springs on board for the room ? I understand I can bring a bottle of wine in my carryon, If I put one in one of the teens carryons as well will it be taken away ? Any advice on the ports, Bermuda, St. Thomas, Grand Turk or San Juan ? Any advice ona naything for a first timer ?
Sponsored Links
Old January 27th, 2008, 05:34 PM
Passenger

Your kids shouldn't have any problems with food. The staff will be more than happy to accomodate them. As for the wine in the carry-on...I don't think they allow you to bring any alcohol on board and they will screen your bags. YOu can bring water on board...but a case will be a lot to carry!
Old January 27th, 2008, 06:50 PM
Admiral

There is really no need to bring water on board. The distilled drinking water on the ship is probably of better quality than most bottled water.
Old January 28th, 2008, 02:00 PM
Admiral

i would double check on the wine policy. Princess used to allow you bring aboard wine in your carry-on, but i haven't sailed with Princess in a while, and no your teens would not be allowed to have the wine in their carry-on.
The tap water on the ship is very good, don't bring a case of water on board. We buy a few bottles before we board the ship and once those are empty we re-fill them from the tap in our stateroom and put them in the fridge
Old January 28th, 2008, 02:53 PM
Passenger

Have just returned from the caribbean on sea princess and we brought wine ashore and had no problem bringing it on in our bags even when they were screened. Its a lot cheaper than on board!
Old January 28th, 2008, 05:45 PM
Passenger

you can take all the booze you want just don't exceed the weight limit.
I usually move all liquor into plastic bottles and then put them in zip lock bags as they always throw your luggage around.

Food: there is lots of food. Even the picky eater shall survive. They will not make things special for him unless ordered a day in advance in the dinning room. Let him eat what is there. By the pool there are always french fries, hamburgers and hot dogs. Near the buffet there is usually pizza so adjust to what is being surved or let him eat the above for the trip.

Water, weight is an issue. However they will gladly sell you all the bottled water you want on the ship at a higher price :-).
I find the ship water just fine, they have a great system, and I live in Oregon where the water is mountain perfect.
I do take my Crystal Light packets with me, order a glass of ice water and put my crystal light in it. Other times I go to the bar and have them blend it and then I add taquila or something else to make a full flavored lemonade with few calories. I have told him to sell this drink but they don't so I just save money each trip.

Yours are cheaper booked on land, especially since you will need to save some $ as tours are easily $40-90 a head for just about anything.
Best thing to do is hire a WATER TAXI, so your homework by reading up on the place and have the water taxi take you where you want to go or hire a cab for $40/hr and let them take you around.
Old January 30th, 2008, 09:28 AM
Admiral

a cruise is a great opportunity to try new foods even if you have a picky eater, they can order something different and order their safe favorite food at the same time, and if they try it and like it great, if not no big deal.

Suggestions on the islands: Bermuda - use the transit system it is great and cheap take the family to Horseshoe Beach- beautiful beach with good snorkeling. San Juan book a tour into El Yunge Rainforest it is something you and your family will never forget. St. Thomas - if you want to discover totally gorgeous beaches with great snorkeling get your family over to St. John Island it requires a taxi ride to the ferry port, a ferry ride to St. John and then a taxi ride to the beach go to www.vinow.com for ferry times, prices and beach information. If you want to stay on St.Thomas proper and hit the beach then i would suggest either Sapphire or Coki Beach/Coral World.
Old January 30th, 2008, 10:33 AM
Cruise Maniac

Excerpt from the Alcohol Policy of the Cruise Answer Book...."Alcohol purchased at any port of call, including the port of embarkation, may not be consumed on board. It will be collected at the gangway for safekeeping, and delivered to your stateroom on the last day of your cruise, prior to your disembarkation. You may bring wine or champagne onboard to celebrate special occasions (limit: one bottle per person). If consumed in the dining rooms or alternative restaurants, each bottle will be subject to a $15 corkage fee*"

*Charges are subject to change."

With that said, as other passengers have indicated, they were successful bringing wine & (and in some cases liquor) on board at embarkation port and ports of call.

Some posters seem to haul their own package store on board and said there wasn't a problem. Guess it could be the "luck of the draw" on just how much you try to bring on board and how lenient the individual manning the boarding station.

Personally, I wouldn't want to bother hauling anymore on board then a couple of bottles of wine.

Whatever you decide to do, have a great cruise!
Old January 30th, 2008, 10:41 AM
Passenger

Thanks for all the good info!!!!!!!!!!!
Old January 30th, 2008, 12:08 PM
Passenger

Hi I had to see the doctor on the grand princess and when we where chatting he said not to drink the tap water. I would only drink the bottled water on the ship
Old January 30th, 2008, 06:11 PM
Cruise Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by shiploger
Hi I had to see the doctor on the grand princess and when we where chatting he said not to drink the tap water. I would only drink the bottled water on the ship
Without getting too personal, was your trip to the ship doctor due to the tap water on the ship? Very interested on why the doctor said not to drink the tap water. I was told that the water is desalinated sea water and am wondering if that had something to do with my feet and ankles swelling....or if it was just me sitting on my rump too much for 10 days! Thanks.
Old January 31st, 2008, 12:07 PM
Passenger

The trip to the doc was not about the water, to do with a bowel problem if you no what i mean. The tap water was one of the things he said to leave. I to was told that they use sea water but saying that when we when to Russia they closed the laundry for 2 day due to limited water supply