CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums

CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/)
-   Princess Cruise Lines (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/princess-cruise-lines/)
-   -   Ever forget your passport? (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/princess-cruise-lines/346564-ever-forget-your-passport.html)

shofer February 12th, 2008 10:03 AM

Ever forget your passport?

We were booked on the Grand Princess to leave 2/2/08 from Ft. Lauderdale traveling with our adult children and their spouses. The plan was to leave Chicago on Friday, 2/1/08 and stay overnight one night pre-cruise to allow for any weather delays. It started snowing on Thursday and continued for 24 hours, dumping about a foot of snow in Chicago, canceling 600 flights on Thursday and continuing on Friday. Lucky for us, we were flying United which has its hub in Chicago and we not only had an aircraft at our gate but our flight was on time. The anxiety over the weather had overshadowed everything else on our minds.

As we winged our way to Ft. Lauderdale, I turned to my DH and asked if he had brought the passports as they had been sitting on his dresser. The horrified look that he gave me confirmed my fears. We weren't going to land for another 2 hours and we frantically discussed this with the kids.

The girl sitting next to me suggested that we have someone go to the house and FEDEX them to us. The problem was that no one else had a key to the house. She suggested that we get a friend to get a locksmith to open the house and then send the passports. This sounded like a good idea to me but DH felt that there were too many parts to the plan that could go wrong and his plan was to fly immediately back to Chicago and come back the next day.

We called Donna, our trusty travel agent for advice and she called Princess to confirm that we needed passports or a certified copy of your birth certificate which you could get from a national data base here in the States. The fly in the ointment for that idea was that DH was not born in the USA.

She started checking flights from Ft. Lauderdale when I mentioned the locksmith idea. She became very excited and said that she had a good friend who was a locksmith and she would call him and ask if he would do this for her. While we went down to baggage claim, we also talked to the Princess rep who met us for the bus transfer to the hotel and told her that DH might not be coming with us.

Donna called back and said that while the locksmith would open the house, he would not go in it because of the liability. His best friend however was Donna's ex-boyfriend and he agreed to go along and get the documents off DH's dresser and take them to a FEDEX-KINKOS for next day delivery.

We boarded the bus to the hotel and Donna called us about 10 minutes later and conferenced us in with the locksmith who was having trouble opening the lock and he said that he had to make a key and did my key have a number on it. It did and he was able to open the door. We gave Donna the hotel address and she called us later to confirm that the package was on the way and should be delivered by noon, guaranteed.

Our SIL asked us to get the tracking number and he would check it for us the next day. Donna called us back that evening with it and we all breathed a sigh of relief. We were so grateful to her for going above and beyond for us, we could not thank her enough! You would not get someone to do this for you from an online agency. She charged the locksmith fee, about $100 and the FEDEX fee about $44 to our credit card. This was a small price to pay for our stupidity.

The next day, Jeremy checked the tracking number and said it was in Pompano Beach which was the next town away. We went in for breakfast anticipating that it would be there shortly. By eleven it was still not there and I asked him to check it again and it came up with an "exception". I called 1-800-GOFEDEX and they told me that the address was incorrect! But the package was on the truck and I could pick it up at the facility when the driver came back and they were open until 7:00 PM. Small comfort when the ship was sailing @ 5:00! They asked for the correct address and said that they would leave a message for the driver.

The hotel had given us a letter telling us to meet downstairs @ 11:30-12:00 for "pre-check-in". We sent the kids down and checked out of our room and anxiously awaited a call back from FEDEX. Unbeknownst to us, Donna had also noticed the incorrect address that morning and was also calling FEDEX.

I tried again around 12:15 and got the same response, that they would send a message to the driver. In the meantime, we pulled our luggage out of the Princess pile so it wouldn't get on the ship without us and waited while the Holland America reps boarded about 12 buses for their cruise.

We discussed our problem with the hotel manager and he assured us that the FEDEX depot was only 10 minutes away and most Saturday deliveries were over by 1:00 so we should have no problem getting there to get our package and making it to the ship on time. He even said that he would arrange a towncar for us that would be the same cost as a cab and would wait for us. So we had an alternate plan. Meanwhile, DH was waiting outside looking for any FEDEX truck that came by so he could throw his body in its path just in case it was the one with our passports.

We tried to call again @ 12:50 and the FEDEX person noticed a message that said that the driver would be there in 15 minutes! As soon as I hung up, Donna was calling us with the same news. She was feeling responsible since it was her friend who had put down the wrong address!

DH, DS, DIL, SIL all waited outside for the FEDEX truck to make an appearance while DD stayed with me calming my frazzeled nerves. A few minutes later, FEDEX pulled up and DH ran to him to claim our envelope. The driver questioned him because our name was spelled incorrectly but DH pulled out his drivers license to prove it was him and then tipped the guy.

And yes, inside were the passports, the bill for the locksmith and the key he had made to get into the house. Princess was still boarding buses and had not yet called our color. Our luggage went back into the pile and we were finally on our way!

Had we ever discussed our passports before leaving? Yes, a few days earlier I had asked where they were thinking that if they were in the bank vault, I would have to go get them. But DH had assured me that they were on his dresser. And we then promptly forgot about them with all the anxiety over the weather. From now on, they will be the first thing on my list! Donna saved us from having to make another flight back home and saved our vacation with our children.

[/b]

LisaK February 12th, 2008 10:28 AM

all i can say is WOW, are you lucky that everything went you way and fell into place. I hope that you consider doing something extra for Donna your exceptional travel agent.
FYI - the last thing that i do before we leave the house is to ask do you have your passport on you? show it to me.

shofer February 12th, 2008 10:39 AM

We sent Donna some flowers and I am sending her a gift card in a thank you note. It doesn't begin to express our gratitude for saving our vacation!

Trip February 12th, 2008 07:52 PM

I needed some pepto bismal, as I read your story...all I can say is yayayayay for all concerned in getting you all to the ship!!!

mehawk February 14th, 2008 01:13 PM

Wow, glad it all worked out.

jim130 February 24th, 2008 08:13 PM

That story certainly makes a case for using a local travel agent as opposed to one of the online ones. There is nothing like the personal touch of using a local TA. Glad everything worked out for you.
Jim..

justgr8fl2cruise February 26th, 2008 12:18 AM

I'm glad everything worked out for you too.........but now I'm gonna be overly paranoid about our passports! Ahhhhh a little stress never killed me before I guess. LOL

Kegan36604 February 26th, 2008 05:22 AM

Not that it would have necessarily helped in this instance, but we always make a copy of our passport, and other imp't doc such as ship confirmation. I typically hold the passports. The copies are either packed seperately or held by my wife.

That's a heck of a story however.... Your basic sit-com script (though I"m sure you didn't find it too funny at the time)

Ron n Jon February 27th, 2008 10:45 AM

Being snowed in today, we are, as you can see, actively into these forms.

We have always wondered how important or useful a photocopy of our passports is. But we do have at least one in our travel documents. With the details laid out on the identity page, picture, but particularly the numbers and codes, and in conjunction with other identification, couldn't the information be electronically retrieved today to prove that the details are official?

Has anyone ever tried to use a copy and if so with what results.

Cassandra February 28th, 2008 11:08 AM

Best thing to do? Take the passports first & stick them in your purse or in the zipper area that we have in them as you start packing.

Passports are always the first on our list - everything else is secondary only becuase clothes & such can be bought anywhere. So if we forget something, big deal.

Passports though? Oh heck no. They are the first things packed.

My2cents March 1st, 2008 07:32 PM

CHECKLIST! I always use a packing checklist to confirm all travel items, including travel documents. I start on the checklist weeks ahead of time and review it several times to ensure all is represented on it.

It's a better way to know you have everything before heading out.

Your story just about brought on a migraine reading it! You know you were blessed with a good travel agent....tell all your friends/coworkers...she'll appreciate it!

Better travel experience next time! :)

shofer March 3rd, 2008 01:52 PM

I did have a checklist, but unfortunately forgot to put the passports on it. We were just so consumed with the weather, it put everything else out of our minds.

We did send our TA flowers when we returned as well as a gift card with a thank you note. It was a small amt compared to what it would have cost us to have hubby fly home and back again
[/size].