Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Princess Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old February 17th, 2008, 12:35 AM
Familiar Face

Default San Fransisco Port

Hi all, I was wondering if any of you have sailed in or out of San Fransisco? We are going to be there in May. I was wondering if the port was near town or if you had to have Transportation to get in town?
Old February 17th, 2008, 08:36 AM
Administrator
Admiral

Default Re: San Fransisco Port

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom8595
Hi all, I was wondering if any of you have sailed in or out of San Fransisco? We are going to be there in May. I was wondering if the port was near town or if you had to have Transportation to get in town?
The port is on the Embarcadero and is close to Fisherman's Wharf. We sailed out of Pier 35 and Princess is still using this pier. It is about a 1/4 mile from Pier 39 with many restaurants and attractions.

You will be able to see Alcatraz island from the ship, will sail by it and, best of all, sail under the Golden Gate bridge.

If you are coming in early I STRONGLY suggest getting a hotel in the downtown area or Fisherman's Wharf area. Airport hotels are a bit far from the pier and San Francisco traffic can be unpredictable.

Take care and have a wonderful cruise.
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Old February 17th, 2008, 11:47 AM
Cruise Maniac

Default RE; San Francisco Port

We agree SFO isa very beautiful port to sail from. We always fly out a couple of days early to enjoy the many fun things to do in SFO before any cruise. Its is our favorite port to sail from( even though we live all the way on the East coast).
Old February 17th, 2008, 08:59 PM
Admiral

We're sailing out of SF in September and I still can't find a hotel I like at a reasonable price! Is everything (decent) in the Fisherman's Wharf area going to cost 250+ ?

We'd like to come in a few days early to see SF, but at those prices...

We'd rather save our $$$ for shore excursions .

"A truly happy person is one who can enjoy the scenery on a detour."

Carnival Inspiration 2002 Carnival Elation 2004
Grand Princess 2004 NCL Sun 2005
Sun Princess 2006 NCL Dream 2007
Caribbean Princess 2007 NCL Dawn 2008
Island Princess 2008 Island Princess 2009
Golden Princess 2009 Carnival Conquest 2010
Grand Princess 2010 Island Princess 2011
Grand Princess 2011 Carnival Magic 2012
Carnival Dream 2012 Island Princess 2013
Carnival Magic 2013 Carnival Legend 2014
Old February 19th, 2008, 10:54 PM
Familiar Face

Thanks for the info. We are sailing in to San Fransisco and sailing out.
Old February 20th, 2008, 09:14 PM
Cruise Maniac

Send a message via Yahoo to justgr8fl2cruise

We're sailing out of SF in October of this year and the good news is we live only an hr and a half away so no airfaire!!!! whoo hoooooo

I've sailed under the Golden Gate Bridge several times on charter fishing boats but I can't wait to sail under it on the Star Princess !!!

justgr8fl2cruise

HAL-M.S. Noordam 1987 ....Alaska
CCL-Elation 1998 ....Mexican Riviera
NCL-Norwegian Star 2002 ....Hawaii
CCL-Carnival Conquest 2004 ....Western Carribean
CCL-Carnival Miracle 2006 ....Western Carribean
CCL-Carnival Spirit 2007 ....Alaska
PCL-Star Princess October 2008!! ....Mexican Riviera
Old February 21st, 2008, 07:24 PM
Beginner

I am from San Francisco and it is a beautifu place to dock because you are not far away from everything. Pier 39 is not too far from where the cruise ships dock and from the Ferry Building (Pier 1) it is just down from Market Street and off from Union Square where the shopping is. There are a lot to visit and remember if you want to go to Alcatraz, remember to make reservations. There are several boats such as Red & White Fleet, Blue and Gold Fleet. They leave from Pier 39.

I also suggest taking public transportation which is the MUNI. It is accessible to a lot of the tourist places. Remember also that Parking in San Francisco is DIFFICULT. Parking is basically limited to a lot of the hotels. There are parking fee and they are just way too high. You can forget about street parking too if you intend to drive in the City. They are strick and they are expensive.

For those wanting to stay in SF, it is rare to find something reasonable when it comes to hotel.

I have always suggested to stay at the Lombard Street / Marina District area. It is not far from Ghirardelli Square and Pier 39. From the Marina District, it is about 2 miles to the Pier from where the cruise ships leave but remember, you are talking about Hills, Hills, Hills,

For those of you flying early to SF, remember that the Airport is approximately 30 mts. away from downtown. The airport is actually situated within South San Francisco area.

Good luck
Old February 27th, 2008, 06:56 PM
Admiral

Tom,
As others have said you will sail from the Embarcadero which is in the City and very near Fisherman's Wharf. It's one of the best locations in the world for cruise ships to dock -- bar none.

Hotels parking restaurants everything in SFO is expensive, but its a great city. There is great transportation with the cable cars and there is a new shuttle along the Embarcadero.

If you have time, by all means take the ferry to Sausalito (the very best tourist value in America today) for lunch or dinner, and have a glass of wine and a wonderful Crab Louie at Scoma's or the Spinnaker!

As for a hotel near the waterfront, it is still hard to beat the dramatic interior of the Hyatt Regency, Embarcadero Center.

Come on, it's only money
Bon Vioyage

Polynesia, Carib. '86
Cr. Odyssey, Scandinavia, '91, 30 Day S Pac. 2002
Crystal Harm, Aust., N.Z., '94
Royal Odyssey, AK,'96
Old Cr. Pr. Canal, '97
RCCL, Carib, 1998
Volendam, Car, 2000
Ryndam, 35 day S. Am., Antarctica, '03
Is. Pr., Canal, 2004
Statendam, 34 day China, Japan, AK '06