Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Princess Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old February 18th, 2008, 02:17 AM
Passenger

Default New chums needing help

We are travelling on Dawn Princess out of Sydney later this year. Being totally new to cruising I have some questions regarding alcohol on board:

Can liquor be taken on board at embarkation in sealed duty-free bags?
Can liquor be bought from the duty-free store on board?
What are the average prices for, say a bottle of reasonable wine bought with dinner, and what for, say a glass of wine in the bar?
Can liquor be taken aboard from transit ports during the voyage?
Old February 18th, 2008, 07:23 AM
Passenger

HI YOU CAN BUY LIQUOR AT THE DUTY FREE SHOP ON BOARD BUT YOU CAN NOT GET IT UNTIL THE END OF YOUR CRUISE. YOU CAN TAKE LIQUOR ON TO THE SHIP FROM A TRANSIT PORT BUT THEY CAN TAKE IT OFF YOU AND KEEP IT UNTIL THE END OF THE CRUISE TO. ON THE OTHER HAND I GOT A BOX OF WINE IN ITALY AND THEY DID NOT SAY ANYTHING.
PETE.
Old February 18th, 2008, 01:01 PM
Admiral

Default Re: New chums needing help

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevl
We are travelling on Dawn Princess out of Sydney later this year. Being totally new to cruising I have some questions regarding alcohol on board:

Can liquor be taken on board at embarkation in sealed duty-free bags?
Can liquor be bought from the duty-free store on board?
What are the average prices for, say a bottle of reasonable wine bought with dinner, and what for, say a glass of wine in the bar?
Can liquor be taken aboard from transit ports during the voyage?
Welcome to our board, we love to answer questions even if our answers are not always correct. You are not supposed to bring any hard liquor on board, notcie I said supposed to. Whatever you do, don't try to get it through security in your carry on.

You can't buy it duty free on board unless your plan is to carry it off ship at the end of your cruise. both cigarettes and booze will be delivered to your cabin the last day of the cruise.

A bottle of basic wine will cost about $25 to $30 and a glass around $5.50 for the house brand.

As for taken aboard at ports, the same policy as buying it on board, it will be held for you.

Hope this helps a little.

Nita
Old February 19th, 2008, 11:52 PM
Familiar Face

Put your Liquor in your checked baggage and you will be fine. They check carry on. You are still welcome to bring a bottle of wine or champagne in you carry on. Princess will sell you Liquor for your room. They are the small bottles. You can check the Princess web site for that. Have a fabulous trip.
Old February 21st, 2008, 10:34 AM
Admiral

Princess allows you to bring aboard in your carry-on a reasonable amount of wine or champagne. You can buy liquor from your stateroom menu for consumption in your stateroom. If you buy from the duty-free shop they will hold your purchase until the end of the cruise, same goes for purchasing hard alcohol on the islands and bringing it aboard in your carry-on. Some passengers will try to sneak liquor aboard in their checked baggage, with this you run the risk of breakage and spillage and if security does random bag checks and finds your liquor they will call you to security, they could make you spill out your liquor or they could hold it until the end of the cruise
Old February 21st, 2008, 08:30 PM
Passenger

if you read the fine print Princess will let you bring a bottle of wine and then charge you a $25 corking fee. They will sell you liquor bottles on the ship but not give them to you until you get off the ship.
So what I do is put my liquor in emtype coke bottles (plastic) and then into a ziploc bag and into my suitcase! When you are in port you can buy bottles of liquor and just put them in a shopping bag and bring them back on the ship. They have never taken it from me. I also buy boxes of wine in ports if I can find something desireable. The other option is to buy the $50 COKE card with unlimited fountain drinks and put your own liquor into the soda. Two people can easily share one coke card if you need the carbination for your desired drink. I keep telling them to make my favorite of crystal light blended in the bar blender with water and ice and then I add my own booze to it= cost me nothing