CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums

CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/)
-   Princess Cruise Lines (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/princess-cruise-lines/)
-   -   Any old Sitmar folks here? (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/princess-cruise-lines/347013-any-old-sitmar-folks-here.html)

nini February 19th, 2008 07:00 PM

Any old Sitmar folks here?

Do you miss the old Sitmar style and crew?

I started with them in Feb of '82 on the Fairsea on a Transcanal from Wilmington, CA to San Juan. I was sold on the first cruise and loved every single one of them. I was not happy when Princess bought them but that's how it goes I guess.

Anyone else miss the Sitmar days like I do?

Trip February 20th, 2008 10:48 AM

Can you share a little bit about the line for those of us who have not had the pleasure? Thanks.....

tennisbum February 20th, 2008 03:37 PM

Did not think anyone remembers this great lin and the Italian staff and the wonderful food along with the specials made at your dining table each nite.We are cruisers from the 50,s out of Miami to Nassau and now have over 40 cruises with a back to back on Star and then Caribbean last Feb. We took the Fairwind from SF to Alaska and return and I believe it was 10 days in June of 1973 and can remember the first nite being quite rough in the northern pacific and we were some of the few in the dining room.In 1977 we took the Fairsea to Mexico from Long Beach.This was a great line when it stood on it,s own and my wife still remembers how attentative the Italien waiters waiters were to the women and certainly knew how to turn on the charm and make the dining experience a real treat. Thes were the real days of cruising in my opinion when you dressed for dinner and it was loke eating in a 5 star restaurant and the only comparioson today is when you choose an alternative restaurant where there is always an additional charge and many times not as good as what we are talking about from the Sitmar days along with the service.Many on this board will say that they would rather have the more casual atmosphere and the ships for the most part are too large for special preparations at your table.At least I can say have been there and done that and loved every moment of it. For the record Holland America continued this type cruise with a most memorable cruise from Miami to south America on the old New Amsterdam where violins played in the loft during dinner and you dressed wit a coat and tie every nite or formal.

nini February 20th, 2008 07:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Trip
Can you share a little bit about the line for those of us who have not had the pleasure? Thanks.....

Best part of the Sitmar line was the excellent dining experience. The waiters and kitchen staff were all Italian and Portuguese, with the food type centered around Italian. The pastas were amazing as were all food. The dining room was formal but fun. The Head Waiters were very attentive to each passenger instead of the running traffic mode they are in today. Dishes were often prepared table side as treats and they were as excellent as what came out of the kitchen.

There were the massive midnight buffets too back then. The full blown extravaganza that I really wonder how I was able to attend after the big dinners - I was much younger then :-)

The entertainment and cruise staff were great though a bit geared to the older crowd than I would have liked but I was in my 20s back then. Nonetheless, it was good entertainment and quite fun.

If you traveled often you became friends with many of the crew - who were all wonderful people. Because of the small number of ships back then (2-3) you were bound to run into crew from a previous cruise when you return. That gave the experience a warmness that just isn't found these days.

The ports were great and I loved the Panama Canal cruises the best though I'd probably go anywhere on the ships.

If only time travel was possible...... :-)

tennisbum February 20th, 2008 10:59 PM

Forgot to mention that we are still in contact with a couple we met on Fairwind in the 60,s who was a baker from Oakland and this was obviously because of the fact that we had assigned dining and you were able to establish long lasting friendships.You will never get this with freestyle dining anyway you cut it.Thanks for the memories.

huebie February 24th, 2008 11:24 AM

We loved Sitmar. Our first 4 cruises were on Sitmar in the early to mid '70's. Can you imagine our shock when we tried a RCL cruise, and they brought the meals to the table already plated? Dining was a wonderful experience with Sitmar, and it's something you could never get today. They were really a special line.

GloriaS February 24th, 2008 01:04 PM

Our first cruise was on Sitmar's Fairsea to the Mexican Riviera for 11 days. We were so young in 1979 with children age 8 and 10. The thing that was so outstanding was the way the staff treated our kids. Made them feel so special. We traveled with another family with four children. It was Christmas.
Funny thing now cruises are a lot less than what we paid then for an outside cabin. the cabins were a lot larger, didn't have to walk sideways between the furniture. The food in the dining room was unbelievable. the Waiters never seem rushed and we could linger and visit with them. Times were different then. Cruises were more expensive and not everyone was able to cruise.
Regards
GloriaS

tennisbum February 24th, 2008 10:48 PM

Will differ with you on one point as I have my invoices from the old days on Sitmar and the price of the cruise is very comparable to today,s pricing.

GloriaS February 25th, 2008 01:22 PM

To Tennis bum,
In 1979 we paid $1800.00 per person for an obstructed view cabin.
Today for the same 11 day cruise I could do a balcony cabin for less than that to the Mexican Riviera. Kids were pretty cheap then at $250.00 per child.
I just got an advirtisement in the mail that kids can go for 99.00.
At the time of our first sail on Sitmar, I believe we paid full brochure rate. No one pays that today . There is so much competition .
Regards,
Gloria S.

tennisbum February 25th, 2008 09:31 PM

Am looking at my certificate that certifies from Sitmar that we aremembers in good standing to the Circola del Comandante ,a society established for the pleasure and convenience of former Sitmar guests and are entitled to all the rights and privaleges thereof.This was cruising at it,s finest period.Pulled my invoice for Fairsea and for an outside room 7 day cruise to mexico the charge was per person $745 plus $6.00 for taxes and port charges.This has sure changed.The cruise date wasFeb16,1977 from Los Angeles.give me the old days of real cruising.

Trip February 26th, 2008 11:40 AM

Sounds like you all really enjoyed every minute..thanks....

WSEA February 26th, 2008 09:48 PM

Sitmar

:oops: Forgive me!

By mistake I hit the wrong button and posted a NEW Stimar thread rather than replying here ... which was my intention.

We loved Sitmar! Honestly, our rates out of Florida, back then, were NOT inexpensive ... about the SAME as now.

Ron n Jon February 27th, 2008 07:47 PM

It is a joy to read your history of cruising when ships were elegant and traditional and the staff was endeared to you. We can only go back as far as the Sky Princess sailing through the Orient. How we long for even that quality of cruising now long gone.

Two points, if we may. Taking into consideration inflation, the prices paid then, though they may match the prices now, were in actual fact double today's price.

And, just when you think that ships are becoming no more than four star hotels, along comes Jewel Of The Sea with its elegant and handsomely embroydered sheets. Maybe quality is being reconsidered after all. Let's hope so.

subtropic February 27th, 2008 10:08 PM

Sitmar ? Boy that's going back some like with Homeric !

Abaco Angie March 1st, 2008 05:14 PM

My first four cruises were on Sitmar back in the late 80's. What a fabulous cruise line! The crew was to die for, especially when you were a single, pretty girl in your 20's! They were all Italian and Portuguese and the kindest men I have ever met. Food was fantabulous, too, as previous posters have mentioned. The ships were smaller and didn't have all the bells and whistles like the ones these days, but I loved my Sitmar cruises. They were probably the best cruises I have ever taken.

cookie1207 March 1st, 2008 07:13 PM

Sitmar Fans

My wife and I sailed both the Fairwind and Fairsea those ships, staff and food were just great. We sail Princess and Celebrity now but still have fond memories of great pasta and white glove service on a "real Italian ship".

Ahhh the good old days.

mehawk March 3rd, 2008 01:27 AM

I had heard of Sitmar but never had the pleasure of anyone describing any fares on them. Thanks.

campari231 March 15th, 2008 12:05 AM

Oh what memories I have of Sitmar.* My sister bribed me to go in 1973, she paid $100 of the $350 fare for a 7 day cruise. We had Continental109 way in the bottom in the bow of the ship. We sure could hear the anchor! But the cabin was huge and had 5 closets! But it was so far down on the ship that you had to climb a flight of stairs to get to an elevator. * They used to hang your key outside in the hall and you would just go get it! How things have changed.* The Italian waiters were wonderful and attentive.* an 18 yr * The pasta dishes were so good. They even served the side dishes at the table.* "More peas ?" Yes those white gloves. We loved the ceasar salad and one nite Mario the head waiter said to come back at midnite buffet and he would show us the secret ceasar dressing. We met him in the dining room and he takes out a huge gallon jug of 7 seas dressing!* But I still remember the chicken kiev. We have been on Fairwind Fairsea, Fairsky multple times.* The deck steward would walk us to a chair put the towel on it and tuck us in,* Mario Alselmi the Matre'd visited me in the 80's when I lived in NYC. We stayed in touch with some of the cruise staff as well.* I remember there were no hair dryers and I had waist lengh hair so the cabin steward took me to the bathroom on the deck and let my dry my hair with the hand blower!**The Sitmar officers were also pretty sexy and always willing to dance with the single girls. I still get misty eyed when I hear Ti Volio Bene"* I had some sexy dance partners.* * We got hooked in 1973 from that first trip and have been cruising ever since. I got married and turned my husband on to cruising.* We just returned from Celebrity Millennium and have booked Crown Princess.* I am not expecting much from that ship but it was the only one available for us.* I still have my Circolo certificate and my glasses with the ship etched on it. Remember when you went to the repeaters party you got a highball glass and a picture with the captain.* Oh those were the days.* I miss that cruise line. I wish they would bring it back.* Remember the chimes and announcement for 2nd seating dinner is now being served, We wish you buon appetto.* AH the memories LOL

tennisbum March 15th, 2008 10:26 AM

Every thing you said brought back great memories and I am currently looking at my formal invitation from the Captain requesting the pleasure of your company at a cocktail party exclusively for members of Circolo del Comandante.Location:dolphin.Dress: formal.Those were the days of real cruising and yes we have continued cruising with over 40 cruises thru the years but none finer than Sitmar.Actually we started in Miami Fla taking four day cruises to Nassau in the late 50,s.

Commieri March 15th, 2008 05:39 PM

I'm the sister of Compari who bribed her to go on the first Sitmar cruise in 1973. I had just graduated from college and had $300 in gift money. The cruise cost $285 with airfare from Providence!. She thought there would be all"old people". As soon as we got on and the Itaian crew started with "Ciao, bella...etc " she was hooked. I often wonder if we were impressed with Sitmar and cruising because we were so young and relativily inexperienced. Did the food tast so good becasue we hadn't done much fine dining up til then? Well, after reading some of these messages I think Sitmar was special... I t was definitly a more refined and classy expereince back then. And I hate hate hate how every cruise line now is nickle and diming you and trying to make you spend money for every little thing. When we went before we basically brought tip and cab fare money and maybe a little something to spend on a piece of jewelry. Those crew members and officers were cute and very attentive to us girls and there was always a drama and romance or two going on... The dancing in the lounges was more continental and I loved that... The pasta's - yes fabulous... I'll never forget one of my tablemates- a gentile southern lady of about 70ish back then, declaring that the Pasta with 4 cheeses was "beter then sex!".

Bring back Sitmar now.