Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Princess Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old February 23rd, 2008, 11:18 PM
Passenger

Default Tipping

As first time cruisers for many years, would really appreciate opnions and advice on tipping on Dawn Princess. As a personal opinion, I believe gratuities should only be given for exceptional service and to the individuals concerned.

This line however, seem to prefer a service where tipping is charged to the passenger's account on a daily basis, which begs the question, how, and on what basis are these gratuities distributed?

This system suggests to me, firstly that on-board staff are insufficiently paid, and secondly that tips are distributed equally, regardless of the service provided.

Any advice, comments and opinions will be very welcome.
Thank you.
Old February 23rd, 2008, 11:51 PM
Admiral

Most mass marketed cruise lines are going to this option. I always feel that one reason is that a lot of people stay out of the dining room to avoid tipping the staff there. If you have a choice tip on your own and accordingly. All ships have a gratuity guide that gives you a suggested amount. If the service is lower than anticpated, be sure you tell the purser's desk about it. I have never had a problem on Princess and I am sure you won't either.
Adventure Of The Seas-05
Navigator Of The Seas-04
Carnival Paradise-04
Carnival Pride-03
Sea Princess-02
Soverign Of The Seas-02
Carnival Imagination-01
Carnival Destiny-00
Carnival Fascination-97
Big Red Boat-93
Nordic Prince-82
Old February 24th, 2008, 10:03 AM
Beginner

I think it is a way of paying the staff low wages..May I suggest the same as I do and go to reception and OPT out of being made to pay the tips, and only give to those who deserve it.. after all $10 per day by 3000 guests is a lot of cash over 2 weeks.. if we all opted out they would soon change their policy
Old February 24th, 2008, 10:55 PM
First Mate

Disagree with you on this one as the price of the cruise would go up to pay the help.Having cruised since the 50,s I can show you in many instances people would stay out of the dining room the last nite to avoid tipping those who have given you wonderful service.when you finf out what these people are working for one can understand why the cruise lines have gone to an automatic system to make up for those who are stiffing the help.
Old February 24th, 2008, 11:17 PM
Passenger

Quote:
Originally Posted by terrytrader
I think it is a way of paying the staff low wages..May I suggest the same as I do and go to reception and OPT out of being made to pay the tips, and only give to those who deserve it.. after all $10 per day by 3000 guests is a lot of cash over 2 weeks.. if we all opted out they would soon change their policy
You may want to explore the details of the auto tip a little more. Specifically, when you opt out of the auto tip and then give a tip directly to a staff member, they are required to turn that tip in so that it is placed in the same tip 'pool' as the auto tip.

Otoh, if you leave the auto tip in place and then tip extra to specific staff members, they can keep the tip that you offer.

We may not agree with the wages paid and the use of tips to offset the wages, but it is what it is. Most of us like the auto tip as it compensates many individuals that we may not see who are involved in providing all of the services and amenities that we have come to expect on a cruise.
Celebrity Horizon 2005 (Caribbean)
Sun Princess 2006 (Caribbean)
Diamond Princess 2007 (Alaska)
Carnival Splendor 2008 (Mediterranean)

Old February 24th, 2008, 11:29 PM
Admiral

My theory on this and that is all it is:anyone who questions the tipping policy would prefer not to tip. Average service deserves the tips as set up. Most lines have gone with the auto tipping. Rumors are this has to do with too many who prefer to stiff the crew. Because the $10 per day is so little most of those I have spoken with leave extra to those who go above and beyond.

Is it a way of not paying the crew a livable wage? Get real of course it is, but ask any crew member would they rather have a larger salary or tips, a hard worker (most are) prefer the tips. I am a little tired of this subject being discussed daily.
Old February 26th, 2008, 01:36 PM
Passenger

Automatic tipping should be certainly be stopped. Tips are for and ONLY for good service recieved! To take tips before you have recieved any service at all is just not on.
I have in the past tipped my "assitant waiter" more than the waiter as the assistant did far more for us than the waiter ever did!
The comment that all these guys who look after us on the ships get paid very little is indeed true BUT they do make an absolute fortune comparred to what they would make if they were back home! The sad fact is that any tips paid by us support a whole family acoss the other side of the world!
If the cruise companies paid decent wages in the first place, then this would surely solve the problem. If cruise lines stopped selling cruises so cheaply in the USA and charged around the same that we in the UK have to pay then they would be able to pay their staff some decent wages.
Old February 26th, 2008, 02:01 PM
Beginner

I totally agree with that last comment, it's very easy for people in the USA to agree with the "tipping" but as you say they get their cruises a hell of a lot cheaper than UK people do, as for wages, I think is disgusting that we the paying public should be doing what the cruise company's should be doing , and that is THEY should pay the wages not us..that's maybe the reason they register the ships in far off countries as they know their own counrty wouldn't allow what they do...and lastly $10 may not seem a lot but you times it by $20 a day for 2 people 14 times and then another 3000 times I make that $840000 not bad eh!
Old February 26th, 2008, 05:02 PM
Passenger

Quote:
that's maybe the reason they register the ships in far off countries as they know their own counrty wouldn't allow what they do
Capitalism...ain't it grand!?!

I will say...even with the auto-tip, it seems to be that we (USA) pay less for a cruise than you folks in the UK or AU. I really don't understand why that is...other than capitalism..."We charge that much because we can!".

Or are there some kinda taxes or fees that you are subject to from your govt??

Regardless, as working folks, we aren't going to change much....just gripe a lot.

"The rich get richer and the rest of us pay the auto-tip..."

Old February 26th, 2008, 05:49 PM
Admiral

Quote:
I totally agree with that last comment, it's very easy for people in the USA to agree with the "tipping" but as you say they get their cruises a hell of a lot cheaper than UK people do, as for wages, I think is disgusting that we the paying public should be doing what the cruise company's should be doing , and that is THEY should pay the wages not us..that's maybe the reason they register the ships in far off countries as they know their own counrty wouldn't allow what they do...and lastly $10 may not seem a lot but you times it by $20 a day for 2 people 14 times and then another 3000 times I make that $840000 not bad eh!
you lost me somewhere with your figures. Ok, maybe $84000 part is correct but that money is devided up among several crew members and the cruise line keeps none of it. Plus, please explain the difference between the service charge many countries charge and our tipping system. To me it is tech the same thing. As has been pointed out many times, the crew would rather gets tips than larger salaries and we are going to pay one way or the other.

Nita
Old February 26th, 2008, 06:22 PM
First Mate

It boggles the mind that some suit came up with the idea of calling the sailing service charges a gratuity and then had the idiotic notion to make it elective.

If we were in restaurants for three meals a day, surely we would be "tipping" more than what the cruise lines are suggesting. To tip a waiter in a restaurant a measly four bucks for a meal that would have cost you anywhere from $50 to $70 each would be an insult. But that is all they are asking of us. It is a part of our cruise cost. Yes, they should just put it into the price but unfortunately they want to spoon feed us into this new procedure.

When any of the ship's staff makes your passage special, please don't think, "my daily service charge covers that", think "I appreciated that additional courtesy and for that I will reward that individual" For your true gratuity, that given over and above the service charge, belongs to the recipient.
Old February 26th, 2008, 08:07 PM
Passenger

Quote:
and lastly $10 may not seem a lot but you times it by $20 a day for 2 people 14 times and then another 3000 times I make that $840000 not bad eh!
The numbers are really impressive....or are they....
Let's see....

$840000 Gross
/ 1000 total crew members (this is just for figuring)
= $840 per crew member
/ 14 days labor per crew member, no days off, no OT (cruise length)
= $ 60 daily wage per crew member...quite a modest amount

Even if there were only 500 crew members (too low) sharing the tips and the per day doubled to $120, that is still nothing to toot your horn over.

Finally, we always pay the wages of the crew. That's how it works. We buy a cruise for $xx (including the auto tip). The cruise line buys food, fuel, pays port fees, distributes the tips, pays the performers and the maritime staff....all from our pockets. Giving it this name or that does not change the substance of the program.

Old February 27th, 2008, 09:03 AM
Passenger

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinfool1
You may want to explore the details of the auto tip a little more. Specifically, when you opt out of the auto tip and then give a tip directly to a staff member, they are required to turn that tip in so that it is placed in the same tip 'pool' as the auto tip.

Otoh, if you leave the auto tip in place and then tip extra to specific staff members, they can keep the tip that you offer.
This is probably a dumb question, but how would a specific staff member know whether you were auto-tipping and giving him/her extra, or if they had to turn it in?

Golden Princess 8/30/2008 -- 1st cruise but not the last!
Old February 27th, 2008, 09:57 AM
First Mate

We were pleased with RCCL in that they issued to all those paxs who paid the full amount, a voucher type document stating just that, and then one could place that in the envelope. To this we added our appropriate personal gratuity. I believe this is how a staff member can verify that the enclosed gratuity amount is theirs to keep.

Other lines should be doing something similar to help dispel the confusion. After all they created it.
Old February 27th, 2008, 11:22 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron n Jon
It boggles the mind that some suit came up with the idea of calling the sailing service charges a gratuity and then had the idiotic notion to make it elective.

If we were in restaurants for three meals a day, surely we would be "tipping" more than what the cruise lines are suggesting. To tip a waiter in a restaurant a measly four bucks for a meal that would have cost you anywhere from $50 to $70 each would be an insult. But that is all they are asking of us. It is a part of our cruise cost. Yes, they should just put it into the price but unfortunately they want to spoon feed us into this new procedure.

When any of the ship's staff makes your passage special, please don't think, "my daily service charge covers that", think "I appreciated that additional courtesy and for that I will reward that individual" For your true gratuity, that given over and above the service charge, belongs to the recipient.
my thought exactly. The $10 or now $10.50 on Princess is a minimum. We too always reward at least a few special people on our cruise. I know some don't understande this, but tipping has been part of uf our custom since I was a little girl and let me tell you, that was before most of you were born. The only idfference is the per centage has increased.

Nita
Old February 27th, 2008, 01:33 PM
Passenger

Quote:
This is probably a dumb question, but how would a specific staff member know whether you were auto-tipping and giving him/her extra, or if they had to turn it in?
Your account number is linked to your cabin number and table assignment. Even your name/cabin is given when you do 'anytime dining'...plug it all into a computer and anyone who served you gets a memo or other notice that you declined the auto pay.

Old February 27th, 2008, 01:55 PM
Familiar Face

Just a point? if you Tip individuals independantly and they have to throw them into a pot with others is that a bit pointless?
Old February 27th, 2008, 02:29 PM
Passenger

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinfool1
Your account number is linked to your cabin number and table assignment. Even your name/cabin is given when you do 'anytime dining'...plug it all into a computer and anyone who served you gets a memo or other notice that you declined the auto pay.
Ah ha! Thanks for the explanation.

Golden Princess 8/30/2008 -- 1st cruise but not the last!
Old February 27th, 2008, 02:30 PM
Cruise Maniac

Send a message via Yahoo to justgr8fl2cruise

When I go to a resaurant on land I tip 15% if service were marginal and typically tip 20% which is the norm in these parts.

Last night for instance....dinner at a local bbq place was $46.39 and I tipped $10 dollars because service was great. It would have been a larger tip if it were a fancy steak house or whatever.

I'll tell you they didn't work near as hard as any waiter I've had in a cruise ship dining room!

Not to mention they work breakfast and lunch as well.

I for one don't mind the auto tip. Just knowing I have the option to cancel through the Purser's desk if service is rotten is comforting. It would have to be pretty bad for me to cancel it.

HAL-M.S. Noordam 1987 ....Alaska
CCL-Elation 1998 ....Mexican Riviera
NCL-Norwegian Star 2002 ....Hawaii
CCL-Carnival Conquest 2004 ....Western Carribean
CCL-Carnival Miracle 2006 ....Western Carribean
CCL-Carnival Spirit 2007 ....Alaska
CCL-Carnival Spirit 2009 ....Mexican Riviera
Old February 27th, 2008, 03:03 PM
Passenger

[quote=nmnita][quote= I know some don't understande this, but tipping has been part of uf our custom since I was a little girl and let me tell you, that was before most of you were born. The only idfference is the per centage has increased.

Nita [/quote]

This, thankfully is an American thing only.........we in the UK do tip for good service received in restuarants etc but I would NEVER think of tipping someone who happens to open a door or move a suitcase from one side of the path to the other for us.......this is something I would do naturally to anyone out of politeness and unlike in the USA where (from previous experience) they would expect a tip!

I do however agree that tips paid on board ships should indeed be pooled. Ok, our cabin steward keeps my cabin clean & tidy but the guys down below deck are the one's that wash & iron your sheets/towels etc. Your waiter may be the best ever but he only delivers the food that was preparred & cooked by many more guys in these sweltering hot kitchens!

I'm afaid this debate will go on & on for years to come!
Old February 27th, 2008, 07:10 PM
First Mate

Pringle8

True to form here we are again. The butcher the baker the candlestick maker should all enjoy the fruits of the onboard "Service Charge". They are welcomed to it and God bless them, one and all.....

But Rita, our cabin steward, who have been an absolute dream in accommodation, for anything and everything we ask for is attempted if not supplied. She deserves more than a fare share of the pot. So it is then that at the end of the voyage she is rewarded with not only her fair share of the booty but also something additional to acknowledge that if nothing else she is a credit to the industry that serves us.
Old February 28th, 2008, 03:15 PM
Passenger

Enough with the tipping topic
It's all about keeping the advised price down
Make friends with the personal and ask them
Some 30 to 40 % of the pasengers DON"T tip, that puts a dent in the income figures
The automatic tipping pot is split with all ( kitchen personal, laundry personal, etc)
Any extra cash you give direct to them they personal keep
These are bottom starting postions, min. wage like anywhere else
From there advance to management and salery postions and a good income

If you are complaining about $10.00 a day for cleaning your bathroom,bedroom,setting tables and serving food then stay home
Maybe you should try it and see if it's a job you would like to due for $10.00
Why even go just to complain about the costs
I'll bet there are people that think you make to much money
Seems like the complant is always about the lessor paid making to much
Don't complain about the upper wage scale in hopes you can be there some day
Old February 28th, 2008, 04:37 PM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidari
Just a point? if you Tip individuals independantly and they have to throw them into a pot with others is that a bit pointless?
That's only if you opt out. If you do not opt out the person you want to give extra too gets the extra.
If you hand a waiter on the last night they have to write your name and cabin number on the envelope and turn it in. Once it is confirmed you did not opt out they get the money instead of it being put in the pot.
Old March 5th, 2008, 03:44 AM
Passenger

Quote:
Like most forums, any controversial subject leads to posters wrangling among themselves, rather than addressing the issue, but thanks Terry, and thanks also to all those other posters who gave positive and helpful advice. I know how to address this matter now. Subject closed for me now
Cheers, Nev
Old March 15th, 2008, 08:45 PM
Beginner

Our experience on Princess has been that the entire crew works very hard to make our vacation a happy one. We always leave the $10 per person per day on our room bill and then give additional to our room steward and dining servers.