CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums

CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/)
-   Princess Cruise Lines (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/princess-cruise-lines/)
-   -   First time on Princess (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/princess-cruise-lines/347346-first-time-princess.html)

bogeyjim February 24th, 2008 06:18 PM

First time on Princess

My wife and I are taking our second cruise mid April on the Caribbean Princess, we cruised the Celebrity Summit five years ago and were impressed. I have a couple of questions. First can anyone tell me the range of pricing on beer, wine, and mixed drinks on the ship? Is there a beverage card available that will cover soft drinks for the length of the cruise and if so what is the cost? We have reserved a balcony cabin on the Aloha deck, I am a big guy 6'3" and tipping in at around 3 bills, is the size of the shower going to be a real issue for me? I am on a waitlist for a mini suite, as it looks like the tub/shower combo might be a better fit. I just don't know if they will get to us on the mini suite. One last question, on the next deck up, the Riviera there is the Terrace Pool at the rear of the ship, someone told me that this is an adults area and that it was not as croweded as the other larger pools midship, any comments? Thanks for the help.

Nurse Debra February 24th, 2008 11:37 PM

Re: First time on Princess

Quote:

Originally Posted by bogeyjim
My wife and I are taking our second cruise mid April on the Caribbean Princess, we cruised the Celebrity Summit five years ago and were impressed. I have a couple of questions. First can anyone tell me the range of pricing on beer, wine, and mixed drinks on the ship? Is there a beverage card available that will cover soft drinks for the length of the cruise and if so what is the cost? We have reserved a balcony cabin on the Aloha deck, I am a big guy 6'3" and tipping in at around 3 bills, is the size of the shower going to be a real issue for me? I am on a waitlist for a mini suite, as it looks like the tub/shower combo might be a better fit. I just don't know if they will get to us on the mini suite. One last question, on the next deck up, the Riviera there is the Terrace Pool at the rear of the ship, someone told me that this is an adults area and that it was not as croweded as the other larger pools midship, any comments? Thanks for the help.

Hi bogeyjim:

I don't remember the prices of drinks but they were much less than on our Celebrity cruises. Princess does have soft drink cards available. As I remember they were not that much, maybe around $20 or so. The mini suites are really nice but I don't think you will have any problem with a Princess balcony cabin. Sorry I can't speak about the Terrace Pool.

Sanibel*Gal February 25th, 2008 12:56 PM

We have cruised on the CB twice and can offer this much...

The aft pool is a great place, it is for adults only and a great place to take a dip or just relax. The other pools - one offers MUTS (Movie screen outside) and another usually has a band playing music.

They do offer soda cards, but I think they were closer to $30.00 last cruise. IMHO - Drink prices are not too bad, of course it depends on what you like and they offer a bucket of beer which is cheaper than buying them individually. You pay for 4 and the 5th one is free, something like that.

Regular cabin showers can be a little tight, even for us - the shower curtain tends to "cling to ya" when wet.

Hope this helps and Enjoy your cruise - she is a lovely ship!!

nmnita February 25th, 2008 01:00 PM

I can only answer a few questions, but here goes with what I know.

The soda cards are $4.00 per day so a 7 day cruise would cost about $28 . Not being a beer drinker I can't help there, but mixed drinks are about $5.50 or $5.95 each if you make sure of the brands you are ordering. An example: A Martini using Absolute will be just under $6.00 where as if you don't tell them a brand the same drink will cost closer to $8 cause they will choose a better vodka. Wine is about $5.50 a glass plus 15% gratuity. These prices are quite a bit less than Celebrity, RCI or NCL. Celebrity, a glass of wine if you don't watch out will cost $9 with tip, NCL about $8.00. We were quite happy with the price of alcohal on Princess.

Nita :roll:

SandyBreit February 25th, 2008 08:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nmnita
I can only answer a few questions, but here goes with what I know.

The soda cards are $4.00 per day so a 7 day cruise would cost about $28 . Not being a beer drinker I can't help there, but mixed drinks are about $5.50 or $5.95 each if you make sure of the brands you are ordering. An example: A Martini using Absolute will be just under $6.00 where as if you don't tell them a brand the same drink will cost closer to $8 cause they will choose a better vodka. Wine is about $5.50 a glass plus 15% gratuity. These prices are quite a bit less than Celebrity, RCI or NCL. Celebrity, a glass of wine if you don't watch out will cost $9 with tip, NCL about $8.00. We were quite happy with the price of alcohal on Princess.

Nita :roll:

Nita, thanks for that tip about the drinks; I don't know about anyone else, but we're used to going to bars where, unless you specifiy a more expensive brand of liquor, they give you the "house brand" - which is the cheapest way to go, rather than the other way around. I can certainly see where it would be in the cruise line's best interests to give you the more expensive brand... Thank you, thank you!! :)