Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Princess Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old February 25th, 2008, 10:15 AM
Beginner

Default Warning to Canadians

Canadian Cruisers
Princess will post your stateroom account to your credit card in Canadian dollars. They do this at a rate higher than the credit company would use were it posted in $US. They did this to my American Dollar Credit card and this resulted in a $52 additional charge. They assured me at the purser's desk they would not be doing this but they did it anyway. Even if you use a Canadian $ credit card it is best to have it billed in the shipboard currency. Spread the word.
Sponsored Links
Old February 26th, 2008, 10:22 PM
Beginner

Had a similar situation. Booked 2 cruises with Princess in Canadian dollars. Received a notice regarding a fuel surcharge. $70 dollars US. For me the total was $80.50 Canadian (that was when the Canadian dollar was 1.02 U.S). I called Princess to change my booking to U.S. funds but was told it was not possible. I ended up cancelling the two cruises and re booked in U.S. funds through a travel agent, saving over $2500 bucks.
Old February 27th, 2008, 10:21 AM
First Mate

No matter how it is phrased and in how big a font, the form we fill out to state that we DO NOT WANT OUR SHIP BOARD ACCOUNT CONVERTED INTO CANADIAN DOLLARS, they do just that anyway. You go to the desk and they lie to you bare faced that it will be reversed.

We purchase all our cruises in US funds and have a US FUNDS credit card with which to pay for same. We then purchase US dollars at the most favorable rates to pay for same. We present this US FUNDS credit card at the desk when registering and tell the attendant that the Ship Board Account is to be held in US dollars and charged to our US CREDIT CARD. Well, you may as well be talking to a toaster. It’s called double jeopardy for not only do they hit us with an unfair exchange rate going to Canadian dollars, the Bank then hits us with an equally unfair rate converting it back for our US card.

HOWEVER…. we have won each and every case, retrieving the amounts in excess of the original charges, some from the cruise line and some from our bank for they too can be equally at fault. Perseverance is the answer; for they must spend ten fold these amounts in time and effort to correct their own stupidity, if not greed.

To be fair, the only line we have never had this problem with is Oceania for they deal in US funds ONLY and ONLY in US funds
Old February 28th, 2008, 11:11 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Cassandra

This has been discussed before on a ton of travel websites across the Internet including the news boards (CNN, MSNBC) for months now. It's no secret.

Serenade of the Seas - '05
Sovereign of the Seas - '07
Old February 28th, 2008, 03:28 PM
Passenger

Quote:
Originally Posted by pizzaboy11
Had a similar situation. Booked 2 cruises with Princess in Canadian dollars. Received a notice regarding a fuel surcharge. $70 dollars US. For me the total was $80.50 Canadian (that was when the Canadian dollar was 1.02 U.S). I called Princess to change my booking to U.S. funds but was told it was not possible. I ended up cancelling the two cruises and re booked in U.S. funds through a travel agent, saving over $2500 bucks.

Just wanted to let you know that if you live in Canada and booked your cruise before November/07 you can get your fuel surcharge refunded. I just did that by calling my agent and he took care of it for me. Princess will credit it back to my credit card. I didn't realise that this was the case until I read about it on the Carnival page.

Old March 3rd, 2008, 09:25 PM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beejo
Quote:
Originally Posted by pizzaboy11

Just wanted to let you know that if you live in Canada and booked your cruise before November/07 you can get your fuel surcharge refunded. I just did that by calling my agent and he took care of it for me. Princess will credit it back to my credit card. I didn't realise that this was the case until I read about it on the Carnival page.
Thank you so much.
Old March 3rd, 2008, 10:40 PM
First Mate

Believe me when I say the fuel charge is not a dead issue with Americans Attorney General of Fla. is now involved and you may very well see some suits similar to those several years ago involving port charges.Carnival is well aware of the feelings of those in USwho have had to pay this charge even though they may have paid all of their cruise prior to the Nov statement.
Old March 5th, 2008, 02:40 PM
Beginner

I just found out today that the fuel surcharge is not permitted by Canadian law. I contacted my travel agency today and they tell me they contacted Princess and the refund will be forthcoming. I believe they are probably only refunding if people pursue it. Thanks to all who replied to my original post about shipboard accounts.
Old August 8th, 2008, 01:43 PM
Familiar Face

Default Confused

Hi : When I first read this post I had no intention of cruising with Princess, however life threw a curveball and we are now booked on a Sept 2008 coastal . I just ran off my eTicket boarding pass , read the fine print and remembered this post . Time for a dumb question or two . We have an American Express (Canadian) for our ship board account , on the Pass Princess mentions Visa and Mastercard only . Does this mean they will automatically bill my ship board account in US dollars ? Next which of the two blanks do I check ? I want to be billed in US funds , so I assume it would be the extreme bottom alternative . Correct ?

Thank you 8)