Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Princess Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old March 4th, 2008, 01:29 PM
Captain

Default Guaranteed??

Anyone every book the Guaranteed cabins? And if so did you have any luck getting upgraded??

05/01/10 Sapphire Princess
09/14/09 Enchantment of the Seas
10/19/08 Crown Princess
03/04/04 Majesty of the Seas
Sponsored Links
Old March 4th, 2008, 02:31 PM
Passenger

Yes, but not on Princess. We booked an oceanview on Carnival and got a balcony. Needless to say we were excited. We are traveling on Princess in May but our TA wouldn't let us take the gamble. I can't exactly remember the reason why. Something about the shipboard credit. We didn't want to mess with that so we are still hoping.

Good Luck with whatever you do.

ssletscruise
Old March 4th, 2008, 07:19 PM
First Mate

We wanted to introduce our neighbours to Princess in it being their first sailing with them. We arranged for a cruise aboard the Crown. We booked their stateroom as well as ours as an outside obstructed, guaranteed. Our neighbours were a little concerned at that but we asked them to be patient.

Days before sailing, we were each given balcony suits as an upgrade. Let me tell you that our neighbours are now in awe of Princess and will sail with them again and again.
Old March 4th, 2008, 08:05 PM
Captain

Default guaranteed

We booked a balcony guaranteed, hope we get better. But if not that would be ok too! We didn't know which rooms were better so we just decided to take a chance.

10/19/08 Crown Princess
Old March 4th, 2008, 11:02 PM
Captain

We have booked guaranteed cabins on Princess and have been upgraded several times.
These upgrades do not happen on every cruise. The one basic rule that everyone should follow is to never book a cabin grade cabin that you would not be satisfied with. Then, if the upgrade fairy visits you then great and if not you will be happy with your cabin anyway.

Winston Churchill

email: debra2106@yahoo.com
Old March 4th, 2008, 11:15 PM
First Mate

Send a message via MSN to gfleo

I booked a GTY inside cabin on the Noordam and ended up in a balcony
Caribbean Princess
C. Destiny
N.Pearl Nov
C.Valor Sept 2008
Ruby Princess
C.Splendor
Indy
Liberty OTS 2009
Carnival Liberty
Eurodam
Radiance OTS
Mariner OTS
C. Freedom
C. Triumph
Navigator OTS(TA)
C.Dream
Solstice 2010
Costa Fortuna
Summit
Norwegian Dawn
C.Glory Sept 2011
Brilliance OTS 2012
Mariner OTS (TA)
Liberty OTS
C.Breeze 2013
C.Conquest
Serenade OTS TA
C.Sunshine 2014
Indy
Vision OTS
Old March 6th, 2008, 11:52 AM
First Mate

I booked a guarantee cabin on Carnival and ended up on the lowest level - it felt like the dungeon. Not sure I would risk doing that again! I thought typically that guarantee cabins were the ones no one booked - the left overs?

Why do the cruise lines offer these cabins instead of letting you pick your own?

But it sure looks like you all made out great!!!!
CARNIVAL BREEZE 1-13-2013
Old March 6th, 2008, 12:43 PM
Passenger

Quote:
Originally Posted by sistagoldenhair
I thought typically that guarantee cabins were the ones no one booked - the left overs?

Why do the cruise lines offer these cabins instead of letting you pick your own?
I do the guarantee because it's a 100 bucks cheaper. But DO only agree to the least cabin you will be happy with.. I've had good luck and have been upgraded more than once..

Free Cruise Clocks
Old March 6th, 2008, 12:46 PM
Captain

Default decks??????????

I did book the balcony, which is what i wanted, I just don't know the difference in the different decks. Would any deck be ok???????? I'm new to this and don't know the difference.

10/19/08 Crown Princess
Old March 6th, 2008, 01:41 PM
Admiral

let me try to address a couple of your questions, booking a guarantee can be a double-edged sword, book a cabin catagory that you would be happy without getting an upgrade, never book a lower catagory than what you would be happy with and hope for an upgrade, you could be dissapointed. IF you get an upgrade great for you. The downside to booking a guarantee is that you could end up with the lowest rated cabin in your catagory, its all about location, location, location, which brings me to the question about which deck to book on. On Princess our favorite deck is Caribe- basically the middle deck. Take a look at your ships deck plans and you be able to see where you are in relation to enterainment, dining, the pools etc.
Old March 6th, 2008, 02:06 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by sistagoldenhair
I booked a guarantee cabin on Carnival and ended up on the lowest level - it felt like the dungeon.
Maybe I am not understanding you correctly. Did you book the gurantee in that cat level? Or were you assigned a lower cat level?

SS Norway (12 times) '85 - '97; Radiance OS 06/01; Island Princess 11/04, Grand Princess 11/04/05, Golden Princess 7/21/06, Golden Princess 2/24/07, Explorer of the Seas 12/23/07, Island Princess 11/15/08
Old March 7th, 2008, 07:23 PM
First Mate

Maybe I am not understanding you correctly. Did you book the gurantee in that cat level? Or were you assigned a lower cat level?

I booked that category hoping for an upgrade. I was happy with the category, but I wonder if I had chosen a cabin in that category instead of the guarantee cabin if I would have had a nicer location?
Old March 7th, 2008, 08:08 PM
Beginner

Just recently booked guaranteed on Star Princess for Alaska and got a 2 category upgrade.
Old March 7th, 2008, 09:21 PM
Admiral

We booked a guaranteed on the Golden a few months ago and got about a 5 level upgrade, but still an outside cabin on the Plaza deck. What the upgrade amounted to: no obstructed view , good location and nice cabin. We hoped for something a little better, but we can't complain. We have booked guaranteed many times and never gotten anything wondeful but i have had clients that have gone from inside to deluxe outside or outside to mini suite. If you are a gambler and can live with any locaation on the ship go for it. If you are not going to be satisfied if you end up aft or forward book a cabin selection.

Nita
Old March 7th, 2008, 10:23 PM
First Mate

What you need to understand is that you will never get less than you paid for and you are rolling the dice on the upgrade which will be determined on numberof cruises with that line and also what you have paid for your cabin and a littlle bit of luck.Most passengers do not realize that there may well be 3 upgrades on the same deck based upon location.My experience is that Ihave always booked guaranted and never been disappointed however on my 49 day cruise next Jan on Carnival Will select a room so that we do not have to change since it is 3 segmentsThe chances of going from inside to outside is very slim and most of the upgrades will be moving up in decks only.Having made some 40 plus cruises will still go with guarantee for the shorter cruises.
Old March 11th, 2008, 01:11 AM
First Mate

We always book the cabin we want, and for us its the BB or BA oceanview double with balcony.
If we get an upgrade then great, if not we got what we wanted anyway.
Old March 11th, 2008, 08:59 PM
Passenger

We always book what we want where we want - we spend too much on the vacation to risk a lousy cabin. If you can plan and book far in advance that's the best. We have booked cruises with all the categories the on sale for same price - all balconies same price BF - BA (Princess levels) at same price. Or all mini-suites AD - AA the same. So of course we pick the most expensive category and the exact cabin we want. The best advice is to shop around and shop early. Even after you book if you find a better price with the same travel agency they will honor it. But it's your job to go find the prices. Don't expect the travel agent to monitor the cruise for you. We booked a cruise and 2 months later there was a sale on it so I call and they changed the price to the new price - saving us $600. So we had the cabin we wanted, category and better price.
Gaurantee is great if you don't expect an upgrade and don't care where your cabin ends up being on the ship. Not bad on a short cruise but it could be disappointing on a long cruise. It's really just a matter of what YOU want or are will to accept.

Brilliance of the Seas

Celebrity Equinox
Old March 12th, 2008, 10:27 PM
Captain

Default Re: decks??????????

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhearty1
I did book the balcony, which is what i wanted, I just don't know the difference in the different decks. Would any deck be ok???????? I'm new to this and don't know the difference.
The thing I always watch for is what is directly over, under and around your cabin. Most cabins are fine but there may be a few in a less desirable location. A brochure should give you a good idea of where everything on the ships is located. The only thing I would worry about is being too close to the disco on a Caribbean cruise!

Winston Churchill

email: debra2106@yahoo.com
Old March 13th, 2008, 11:17 PM
Passenger

Nurse Debra - excellent point - location, location, location.

Brilliance of the Seas

Celebrity Equinox
Old March 14th, 2008, 02:25 PM
First Mate

I never thought of it that way - never getting less than what I pay for by choosing guarantee - so I'm going to try booking guarantee cabin next time - hopefully get a nice upgrade!!!