Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Princess Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old March 23rd, 2008, 09:05 PM
Beginner

Send a message via AIM to Dancinbackwards
Default Golden Princess: First time cruiser!

Hey everyone! I am a brand new cruiser and am surfing forums looking for any helpful information!

My boyfriend and I are booked on the Mexican Riviera cruise for April 5 on the Golden Princess. We are very very very excited! I haven't been able to find much information about our specific ship, so if anyone has any or wants to share their stories from a Golden Princess cruise, that'd be great!

I do have a specific question though in regards to Shore excursions...
We have booked one for sure... the zip line/waterfall repel excursion in Puerto Vallarta... and we are on a waiting list for the Dolphin swim in Cabo. When do you actually pay for the excursion, and can you cancel last minute or will you be charged if you do that? Also, about the waitlist, how and when will they let you know whether or not you can go?

Any information about anything Golden Princess, would be great!
Sponsored Links
Old March 23rd, 2008, 09:41 PM
Passenger

We have been on the Golden Princess (So America cruise) and enjoyed the ship athough the 'thrusters' were really vibrating. We have never had on any other Princess ship - even the other Grand class ships (Star, Grand). This size ship - Grand class is our favorite - not too big, not to small, just right (did that sound like The 3 bears ?? ). One thing we like Princess the self-serve laundry which may become very important with the airlines changing to ONE check-in bag.

Shore excursions - are paid on your account. Most everything you do on the cruise ship and excusions are on your cruise card which is usually linked to a credit card. The card opens your cabin and it is swhiped to pay for those extras (drinks, pictures, shops on the ship). Before the end of the cruise go to the purser (but DON'T go the last night of your cruise) and have your account printed and check it. Occassionally (not often) there can be a charge that isn't yours. The purser keeps all the signed receipts so you can prove or dispute the bill.

We loved the zip lining we did. Booking though the cruise line insures that the adventure has been inspected for safety.

I don't know about cancellations and when you get noticed. We did the swim with the dolphins and it was fantastic. Actually got to RIDE on the dolphin.... awesome.

You CAN NOT cancel at the last minute. Each evening you will get a Princess Patter that tells you about the next days itinerary. There is also information about 'last chance to cancel.... ' (it will list the port). So be sure to make your excursions or cancel within the alloted time. They will not refund your excursion because you missed it or just didn't want to, changed your mind. IF you do miss it for a really good reason -' I fell and broke my leg this morning' (just kidding) they would refund your excursion. It doesn't hurt to ask but don't except a refund.

If you have the 'Travel Channel' there is a great program 'Dos and Don'ts for Cruising'.

Have you read the article on this site :
http://www.cruisemates.com/articles/firsttime/

Brilliance of the Seas

Celebrity Equinox
Old March 23rd, 2008, 09:52 PM
Beginner

Default Thanks!

Thank you SO much for such good and timely advice! It is allll very much appreciated!

I watch the Travel Channel every day... I especially enjoy Samantha Brown's documentary and experience on a Royal Carribean ship, although... I am interested in specific details about Princess, such as the ones you gave me!

I haven't checked out that site yet, but will do it now! Thank you so much!

Kels
Old March 23rd, 2008, 09:59 PM
Passenger

NP. I'll try to answer any other questions you post. We are 'Elite' on Princess and have enjoyed sailing on her. Just remember 'Don't Expect Perfection' (an interesting article in Cruise Travel Magazine)and you will have a great cruising experience no matter which cruise line you choose.

Aren't these ships amazing? I also enjoy watching Samatha.

We just did Mexico in January but on the Dawn Princess out of SD.

Welcome to cruising and to Princess. Which category or cabin are you in?

Brilliance of the Seas

Celebrity Equinox
Old March 23rd, 2008, 10:38 PM
Beginner

Default cabins

We are in category I cabin b424... I know its an inside stateroom, around the center of the ship... but thats all I know, I dont know much about categories or anything!
Old March 23rd, 2008, 11:08 PM
Passenger

We started in an inside cabin and it becomes a personal preference after that. We love having a balcony now but would take any cabin to be on a cruise

Mid-ship is always good. You are really close to the elevator and again depends what you prefer. We don't get to close because it's not the noise of the elevator but the noise of the passengers. People are on vacation and many enjoy staying out late - drinking and partying (I have not problem with that) but some times they forget when returning to their cabins at 3am that others are sleeping.

You will learn as you cruise what fits you. That can be part of the fun of cruising - trying all the different cruising lines, cabins, amenities, etc.

Brilliance of the Seas

Celebrity Equinox
Old March 25th, 2008, 12:47 AM
Admiral

The Golden is a great ship. You will love it !
Adventure Of The Seas-05
Navigator Of The Seas-04
Carnival Paradise-04
Carnival Pride-03
Sea Princess-02
Soverign Of The Seas-02
Carnival Imagination-01
Carnival Destiny-00
Carnival Fascination-97
Big Red Boat-93
Nordic Prince-82