Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Princess Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old April 1st, 2008, 08:17 PM
Beginner

Default Mini Suite or Balcony Stateroom???? Help !!!

Hi Folks,

I am just about to book my cruise with Princess Caribbean.Was just wondering about the right choice to make because there is only 75 dollar differ in price between the balcony room and the mini suite.
Does anyone know if the size difference is huge and all the other features if its worth it or not.Its not really the 75 bucks that im worried about,as if the Balcony Stateroom had a better or nicer balcony than the suite-i would take that one.

Would really appreciate any tips/help from you guys that may have been in a suite/balcony room and can help me out.
Also what about the right deck?? I was thinking Aloha??
I would prefer a quieter area,even if it meant a little more walking??

Thanks in advance,

Dean
Sponsored Links
Old April 1st, 2008, 08:24 PM
Beginner

for 75.00 do the mini-suite, it depends on the ship but you will get at least 50 sqft larger of space, maybe more, it depends on what ship you are talking about.
Old April 1st, 2008, 08:34 PM
Admiral

It is all a matter of personal preference. For $75, I would go with the mini suite. The main differences are in a mini suite you get a bathtub/shower, couch and 2 TVs and the cabins are a little larger too. We have had a balcony cabin on Baja, Caribe and Dolphin. The Baja balcony was your usual covered private balcony but everyone below could look up and see you. The Caribe has a large balcony that is half covered and half open and you look down on the Dolphin deck balconies or turn around and look up to the Baja and Aloha deck balconies. The Dolphin deck mimi suite cabins are totally open and you can look straight down onto the ocean. The Emerald mini suite cabin balconies are large, private and you can also look straight down onto the ocean. This is just our experience.

#36-Carnival Splendor 9/16/12
7 night Mexican Riviera
Retirement Celebration

#37-Allure of the Seas 11/11/12
7 night Eastern Caribbean

#38-Celebrity Solstice 4/8/13
17 night Tahiti -- Sydney-Honolulu
40th Anniversary Celebration

270 days at see; soon to be 302
Old April 1st, 2008, 08:35 PM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsaler
for 75.00 do the mini-suite, it depends on the ship but you will get at least 50 sqft larger of space, maybe more, it depends on what ship you are talking about.
Hi,
Its the Princess Caribbean.
Im confused as some say take aft/outside
say say front/port some say balcony are nicer in the balcony double stateroom than the balcony in the mini suite???????
Old April 2nd, 2008, 10:16 AM
Passenger

If you are prone to sea sickness stay toward the middle of the ship. Some of the aft cabins (back end of the ship) have larger balconies no matter if it is a mini-suite or regular cabin with balcony. We prefer the Baja deck, with cabins above & below you - seems to be quieter but just my opinion. We have no preference to which side of the ship we book our cabin. Most important to us is a view of the sea while we have our morning coffee!!

Carnival x 2
Old April 2nd, 2008, 03:31 PM
Admiral

The mini-suite staterooms are without a doubt nicer, and bigger (for example they have a sofa in a separate sitting area) so are the balconies, except that the balconies are not as private as some of the non-mini-suite ones. look at the deck plans to see the differences in size and layout, and decide what you want, take into account the price difference and go for what you decide on. You can read my review on this thread of a balcony room on the Crown to get an idea of that.

Polynesia, Carib. '86
Cr. Odyssey, Scandinavia, '91, 30 Day S Pac. 2002
Crystal Harm, Aust., N.Z., '94
Royal Odyssey, AK,'96
Old Cr. Pr. Canal, '97
RCCL, Carib, 1998
Volendam, Car, 2000
Ryndam, 35 day S. Am., Antarctica, '03
Is. Pr., Canal, 2004
Statendam, 34 day China, Japan, AK '06
Cr.Pr., Carib. 08
Eurodam, Atlantic, Med. '10
Golden Princess
Old April 3rd, 2008, 09:54 AM
Admiral

our favorite decks on Princess are Caribe and Dolphin, Aloha isn't one of my favs, i don't like being up higher, but thats just me. Another advantage of the mini-suite is plenty of closet and storage space.
Old April 4th, 2008, 05:45 AM
Passenger

We are going on the star priness to alaska next month we arranged for a mini suite and we just found out we have been upgraded to the PH suite. This is great and we have never been upgraded before. Has anyone ever stayed in this type of room?
Adventure of the seas
Old April 7th, 2008, 01:46 PM
Cruise Maniac

Diane: Wow!!! That's exceptional. Did you book a specific cabin when you booked the mini suite, or book a "guarantee"? We've sailed with Princess 7 times and never received a upgrade.
Old April 8th, 2008, 08:14 AM
Passenger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janice Marie
Diane: Wow!!! That's exceptional. Did you book a specific cabin when you booked the mini suite, or book a "guarantee"? We've sailed with Princess 7 times and never received a upgrade.
I orginally book mini suite with a guarantee but when i saw my room assignment it was last cabin towards the rear of the ship with only twin beds and a shower. So I called princess and ask for a specific room and it cost me an extra 400.00 because it was the highest cat in the mini suites due to its location on the ship. Then last week I received E-mail notification that I was upgraded to the PH suite room C410. I have cruised on several occassions but this will be my first cruise on princess. I have no idea why I was upgraded but its my daughter graduation and we are so very happy.
Adventure of the seas
Old April 10th, 2008, 04:53 PM
Familiar Face

Default Cabin upgrade

We were just on Star Princess to Antarctica and were upgraded at no extra cost from mini-suite to suite. I was upset at first when I found out the suite was at the back of the ship, but when we opened the door to our suite, we just went "wow"!!! We had always had balconies before and were excited about having a mini-suite, but this was beyond belief. Incredible amount of room and we were treated like royalty. Fresh flowers, tub with jets, walk-in shower, chocolate covered strawberries, free champagne, free laundry, and on and on. We were in the St. Thomas suite and it was beautiful and quiet. Don't know why we were so lucky. Hope you enjoy your cruise as much as we did.
Old April 10th, 2008, 06:31 PM
Cruise Maniac

I just got off the Caribbean Princess and the mini suite was nice -we enjoyed the Dolphin Deck and the great sunshine... what we did not appreciate was people coming up to us a beakfast and commenting that they saw us in our PJs and one morning we were out in Tshirts and undies to watch us dock and received 2 separate comments from people that day... I thought it quite strange that these strangers found it necessary to seek us out and let us know that we were seen... as if we cared!
Old April 11th, 2008, 05:05 PM
Cruise Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by DianeTexas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Janice Marie
I orginally book mini suite with a guarantee but when i saw my room assignment it was last cabin towards the rear of the ship with only twin beds and a shower. So I called princess and ask for a specific room and it cost me an extra 400.00 because it was the highest cat in the mini suites due to its location on the ship. Then last week I received E-mail notification that I was upgraded to the PH suite room C410. I have cruised on several occassions but this will be my first cruise on princess. I have no idea why I was upgraded but its my daughter graduation and we are so very happy.
Congratulations on being hit with the upgrade fairy's wand!
Old April 11th, 2008, 05:08 PM
Cruise Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by DianeTexas
We are going on the star priness to alaska next month we arranged for a mini suite and we just found out we have been upgraded to the PH suite. This is great and we have never been upgraded before. Has anyone ever stayed in this type of room?
Another person visited by the upgrade fairy! Good for you! We're still waiting for the upgrade fairy to visit us for an upgrady like yours!
Old April 14th, 2008, 02:47 AM
First Mate

We have never had a mini-suite, but we always get balcony, but it would
be very nice to have an upgrade to the PH.
For only 75 dollars extra for a mini-suite, that sounds like a great deal.

Have fun.