Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Princess Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old April 28th, 2008, 07:24 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna
Default Star Princess, how is it in Alaska?

Looking into the possibility of booking Star for Alaska. Would be interested in hearing from someone who's cruised in Alaska on Star and how they enjoyed it.

Thanks,

Message Boards Moderator
Sponsored Links
Old April 28th, 2008, 10:01 PM
Familiar Face

Me too as we are booked for this cruise on June 22. But I guess any cruise is going to be a good one. it is afterall, a vacation.
Star Princess-Alaska 2008
Star Princess-Alaska (again) 2009
HAL Oosterdam - New Year's 2009 into 2010
Carnival Spirit-Baja Birthday Cruise 2010
NCL Spirit - W Caribbean Bday Cruise Oct 2011
Island Princess -Alaska to Denali 2012
Coral Princess - Panama Canal 2013
2014 Booked - Azamara Barcelona to Monte
Carlo
2015 Booked - Carnival Dream to Caribbean

Read and post cruise reviews
Old April 29th, 2008, 03:56 PM
Familiar Face

Send a message via AIM to Marguerite

We have been to Alaska on HAL. Alaska is beyond belief!!!! We now have 18 days left until we cruise The Caribbean Princess for a 10 day cruise from NY. We have been counting from 372 days!!! I have been looking for an Alaskan cruise for next June and will probably be going on the Star. We had friends who cruised on this ship and liked it very much. So, enjoy!!!
Marguerite
Old April 29th, 2008, 10:43 PM
Cruise Maniac

Been on the Star twice once was to Alaska round trip from Seattle. Just know that the first night out can be pretty rough since you are going against the current of the Pacific so if you are prone to sea sickness take the medication before you set sail.
Old May 1st, 2008, 09:59 PM
Admiral

Thanks CJ,
I'll be prepared, hope its not too terrible.

Message Boards Moderator
Old May 29th, 2008, 01:40 PM
Beginner

My husband and I went to Alaska on the Star Princess, just last week (May 17th - May 25th). Quite honestly, it was not what I had imagined. The dining on that ship was lacking. We only went to the main dining room twice because everyother time we went, we were told that the room was full and there would be a long wait. When we did actually make it into the dining room, we got seated by ourselves both times. We were looking forward to making friends, but instead were segregated. So I really suggest that you sign up for formal dining, not the anytime dining. I will say that making a reservation at Tequila's (a steakhouse on board) was awesome. We both had the filet mignon and it was superb.
Since this was our first cruise, we were not aware that there would be so much down-time. I wish I would have brought a few good books, or something. Most of the ships "events" were geared more towards the older crowd, leaving my husband and I wondering what to do next. The views were amazing, but I also learned that you should book as many excursions as possible. The two that we did were awesome (zip-lining and dog sledding), but at the ports where we didn't have anything planned, we didn't know where to go or what to do. I feel like we missed a lot.
The ship is starting to show it's age, but the crew was very friendly and helpful. If you do decide to go on this cruise, I suggest your bring some "cool clothes". They keep the inside of the ship pretty warm, and several times I had to borrow a t-shirt from my husband because all I had was sweaters.
I would not take back going on this cruise, but it still didn't quite live up to my expectations. I hope this has helped...
Old May 29th, 2008, 05:19 PM
Admiral

I think with may-be a little more homework, you would of enjoyed the cruise a little more. I usually book my excursions before I go and do some research on them. Do you remember what port you did the zip lining??

Did you by chance do the White Pass railroad trip? Did that once and it was truly beautiful, a great way to see some inland scenery. A good place to go whale watching is in Juneau, I'll plan on booking that soon too, but now through the ship, there are better ones.

I also signed up for traditional dining and if we wish to go to the open dining we can still do that.

I hope you still try cruising again in the future..

Thanks for your tips, especially about the streak restaurant, I didn't know Star Princess had one....Do you remember what the cover charge was for that?

Message Boards Moderator
Old May 30th, 2008, 01:33 PM
Beginner

Donna,
We did the zip lining on the first port, can't remember the name. The charge for the steakhouse was $15.00 per person. Our friends got the New York steak and said it was grissly and undercooked, so I'd stick with the filet mignon. We were going to do a whale watching tour, but we already saw several whales from the ship. Yes, this was definately a learning experience for us. If we decide to cruise again, I will plan at least one excursion at each port. Hope you have fun in Alaska!
Old May 30th, 2008, 11:13 PM
Admiral

Thanks Jennie,
I'll stick with the filet too if we dine there....

Message Boards Moderator
Old June 8th, 2008, 04:16 AM
First Mate

My wife and I sailed to Alaska on the Regal back in 2002. It was one of the best trips we have ever taken.
To this day we still talk about our trip, and look at the pictures we took.

I am sure there has been some changes since then, and one day we will return to Alaska. You will be in for one of the best times of your like.

Have a great trip.
Old June 16th, 2008, 04:49 PM
Beginner

Just got back off the Star last week (6/8-6/15).
We two excursions before we sailed, one at Ketchikan and another on-board. The prices at Ketchikan were the same as the list prices on land.

We did the White Pass trip, it was great but if I had to do it over I might have picked a version that had a bus ride return with wildlife viewing. Once you've gone up it's the same view on the way down. I enjoyed the trip back down but I wouldn't have minded seeing more wildlife.

Food.... was not the highlight. With that said we had some nice meals but most of the desserts seemed to be made off-ship. The salads were not as crisp as I'd hoped. Food was better in the formal dining than the buffet (big surprise). My favorite meals were "tea time". Yes from 3:30-4:30 they had formal tea with great hot scones and good desserts. We made tea four times

I thought the ship was in pretty good shape overall, our balcony was large enough for six people (Caribe deck). The ship was confusing though as many of the elevators only went to certain floors. The main dining room accessible by two elevators or two sets of stairs; you couldn't get off on the same floor and walk there, you had to go up, over and down. Not a big deal but I spent a lot of time reading the ship map and plotting a way to reach areas.

Service was acceptable but not stellar. I personally think the auto-tip system comes into play here; I like the convenience but I believe it's more of a service charge than a tip. No one made you feel "special" but overall the service was fine.

We did have major problems with our key cards. I had mine replaced seven times (wouldn't open the cabin door). I had a bad experience the Purser who immediatly blamed it on my camera even though the card didn't work before I unpacked the camera. I figured out much later it was the cell phone, couldn't be anywhere near the cards. I've never had the problem before and I wasn't the only one.

I DO think Princess has the best selection of off shore events and seems to get the best pick of destinations.
Old June 19th, 2008, 01:26 PM
Passenger

Send a message via Yahoo to richluv4u
Default Star Princess Quality

I have been on two Princess ships in the past the last one was to Alaska last year. We are gong on Star Princess July 6th 2008 and looking forward to there elegant food they have on board. I really like that Princess has different dinning rooms to chose from. My son and I have always done anytime dinning and got right in and was seated. The steak house on board is call (Sterling Steak House). They have great food and if not on the menu you can always ask. The buffet is just as good, and if your not use to eating upscale food with flare then, just stick with the basics. By the way this ship has a doom over the pool that can stay open or closed due to weather.

Leaving to Alaska July 6th, 2008
Hi Im a 43yr old Female looking for last minute cruise For June 6th to the 14th. Haven't booked anything yet. Wanted to find cabin mate first to share cost. Would prefer female, but would consider a male.

Have been on two cruise prior and my last one was to Alaska this time last year in May. If your intersted please let me A.S.A.P