Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Princess Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old May 14th, 2008, 11:40 PM
Admiral

Default Series of Reviews on Caribbean Princess, Part 2

Caribbean Princess. Part 2

Monday, April 21

Our first full day onboard was a Sea Day, and we were up early to enjoy it!
Breakfast was in the Horizon Court Buffet, where there was standard breakfast fare, served hot, and quite good.
There were plenty of seats to choose from, as not many people were up and around at 8am!

After breakfast, we spent some time doing what we love to do on Sea Days - nothing!
We headed up to Sun Deck 16 and planted ourselves in a couple of deck chairs to soak up some sun and catch up on some reading.
We were practically alone, there was certainly no shortage of deck chairs in this area!

At 9am I headed off to the Joker's Card Room for a scheduled Arts & Crafts class. I love doing crafts, but I was a little underwhelmed with the offering on this ship. There were only 4 of us who showed up, and when our animator arrived, we were surprised to see Charlie, a real "tough-guy" Australian crew member, who proceeded to show us how to make dainty little white roses out of paper napkins.
Now Charlie looks like he should be coaching rugby or soccer, not folding paper napkin flowers, but I must admit, he did a good job of it, all the while entertaining us with banter about his life onboard ship and how he came to be the paper-napkin folding King!

Following this demonstration, there was a Scrapbooking class, and after some running around to find the key to the supply cupboard, Kristy, another Australian crew member, arrived to 'guide" us in the fine art of scrapbooking. It was less "guiding" and more "do-it-yourself", as she just supplied us with a variety of materials and told us to "go to it". Our theme was to make a page to feature our formal night photos (to be taken later that evening). I spent about 20 minutes designing a page to my liking, then decided that I was wasting valuable sun time, so headed back up to the Sun Deck, where I found my hubby still baking in the sun!

We stayed up there enjoying the peace and tranquility, until lunch around 1pm, then back outside for some more!
At some point, I went down to the Calypso Pool to watch a movie on the big screen. It was crowded and very noisy at the main pool, but I enjoyed watching the movie while lounging in the water and sun at the same time

At 4:15, I headed for Trivia in the Wheelhouse Bar, only to be told it was double-booked, and we had to find another lounge.
This mis-co-ordination of activities and time slots happened several times on this cruise, but it just seemed to be a matter of so much to do and so little time!
We ended up playing Trivia in the Crooners Lounge, aka "Bert's Living Room". I looked forward to seeing him perform there later in the evening.

When we returned to our cabin late in the afternoon, we found the doorway decorated with balloons, and in our mailbox, a card saying "Congratulations on celebrating your special occasion onboard, please present this card to your Maitre 'D in the dining room this evening."

We were puzzled, because we were not celebrating any special occasion that we knew of, and could not think of anyone who might have sent us a gift or surprise.
Nevertheless, we cleaned up, dressed up, and headed to the Palm Dining Room for dinner.

Our new friends Paul & Pauline had booked the Sterling Steakhouse for dinner this night, so we were on our own. We were seated at a quiet table for 2, in the not-very-busy dining room. We presented our special card to the Maitre 'D, who set off to see what it was all about.
Some time later, he returned to say it had been a mistake, and was meant for someone else.
I couldn't help wondering which poor couple onboard was still waiting for their balloon decorations and special occasion bottle of wine to be delivered to their table!

We enjoyed another wonderful meal in the Palm Dining Room, with excellent service. We struck up a conversation with an older couple at the next table, Ruth and Sy, who were celebrating their 55th wedding anniversary! They were seasoned cruisers, so we had a lot to talk about.
When their small anniversary cake arrived with it's singing waiters, they insisted we share a piece with them.

After dinner, we went to the Princess Theatre to see the show "Caribbean Caliente", which was a terrific, lively, colourful, presentation of Latino and Caribbean music and dance.
Following this, we headed directly to the Crooners Lounge to see Bert's 1st show of the week. We had told Paul & Pauline not to miss it, and we met them there. By the time we arrived, Bert had the standing-room only crowd going, as he is so good at doing, and we all enjoyed the show.
Even though it was identical to the show we saw 2 years ago, it was still good to see him again.

Afterwards I went over to greet Bert, and introduce him to Pauline, and we got the mandatory Bert Bear Hug.

By this time, James, and our 2 friends were ready for bed, so off they went, but I stayed behind to see Bert's 2nd set.
During his break, I went down the corridor to the Explorers Lounge to see John Ferrentino, a comedian/magician, who entertained until Bert came back for his 2nd set.

His 2nd set was a little less manic, and a little more personalized, as he took many requests from the audience.
When he spotted me, he of course had to dedicate "Words" by the Bee Gees to me.
I stayed until the end, about 12:30am, and before leaving I asked Bert to please contact us in our cabin as we had brought a gift for him.
He promised to do so, but it was several days before he had a chance to stop by.
I went off to bed, happy and satisfied after my first 2 days onboard, looking forward to the rest of the week!

donna