Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Princess Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old May 21st, 2008, 08:18 PM
Beginner

Default Pre Cruise Hotel in San Pedro, California

We are cruising on Sapphire Princess on Oct 11, 2008 out of San Pedro. It looks to us like it would be nicer to stay in Long Beach the night before and there is much more variety of hotels to choose from, and more to see. Also the Crowne Plaza in San Pedro looks good. Our flight gets in late the night before so another option is an airport hotel at LAX.

Long Beach looks about 5 to 10 miles away from the Princess port in San Pedro. Does anyone have any advice or prior experiences to share. 8)
Sponsored Links
Old May 21st, 2008, 09:36 PM
Admiral

Welcome!

We haven't been to LA yet, but we're booked at the Doubletree, San Pedro, for our next cruise (we're staying 2 days pre-cruise). I've also heard good things about the Crown Plaza, San Pedro.

I'd suggest you check the major hotel booking sites to see the reviews. Since you get in so late it might be better to book an airport hotel that has a shuttle from the airport to the hotel and from the hotel to the pier. I'm sorry I can't help you with that info, but hopefully someone will come along who can !

Have a wonderful cruise!

"A truly happy person is one who can enjoy the scenery on a detour."

Carnival Inspiration 2002 Carnival Elation 2004
Grand Princess 2004 NCL Sun 2005
Sun Princess 2006 NCL Dream 2007
Caribbean Princess 2007 NCL Dawn 2008
Island Princess 2008 Island Princess 2009
Golden Princess 2009 Carnival Conquest 2010
Grand Princess 2010 Island Princess 2011
Grand Princess 2011 Carnival Magic 2012
Carnival Dream 2012 Island Princess 2013
Carnival Magic 2013 Carnival Legend 2014
Sea Princess 2014
Old May 22nd, 2008, 02:10 PM
First Mate

We're booked at the Hyatt. I think it's very near the Coast Hotel, which is near the pier where the Queen Mary is docked.

Pat

RCL Radiance
CCL Splendor
HAL Zaandam
CCL Elation
CCL Spirit
HAL Statendam 2x
HAL Ryndam 2x
Old May 22nd, 2008, 02:28 PM
Admiral

Since you are getting in late the night before you might want to stay close the LAX. My friends always stay at the Radisson, which is the closest to the airport. I don't know if they have a shuttle to the port but you can always go back to the airport and catch the ship's shuttle or use Super Shuttle.

The Crowne is a nice place to stay also and very close and convenient to the port.

#36-Carnival Splendor 9/16/12
7 night Mexican Riviera
Retirement Celebration

#37-Allure of the Seas 11/11/12
7 night Eastern Caribbean

#38-Celebrity Solstice 4/8/13
17 night Tahiti -- Sydney-Honolulu
40th Anniversary Celebration

270 days at see; soon to be 302
Old May 25th, 2008, 10:30 PM
Beginner

Default Re: Pre Cruise Hotel in San Pedro, California

Quote:
Originally Posted by familycruiser
We are cruising on Sapphire Princess on Oct 11, 2008 out of San Pedro. It looks to us like it would be nicer to stay in Long Beach the night before and there is much more variety of hotels to choose from, and more to see. Also the Crowne Plaza in San Pedro looks good. Our flight gets in late the night before so another option is an airport hotel at LAX.

Long Beach looks about 5 to 10 miles away from the Princess port in San Pedro. Does anyone have any advice or prior experiences to share. 8)
The Crowne Plaza is about 1/2 mile from the pier and is very nice. The Doubletree is a bit farther but still close and is also very nice - right on a marina. Hotels in Long Beach near the Queen Mary are a short ride from Long Beach to San Pedro over 2 short bridges. Any of these would be good locations.
Old May 26th, 2008, 08:23 PM
Familiar Face

We just booked the Crowne Plaza in San Pedro, $65 through Priceline. San Pedro is pretty easy with Priceline, the only 3 star hotels are the CP and Doubletree. I figured I couldn't go wrong with either one.
Old May 27th, 2008, 10:03 PM
Admiral

familycruiser, we are also sailing on the Sapphire Princess Oct. 11, and plan to fly in the day before. We're hoping to stay on the Queen Mary which is now permanently docked at the port and is a hotel.

Please post here again if you find a great deal, as the QM is expensive!
Also, who (family or friends) will you be travelling with?
We are a middle-aged couple (50-60), and will be sailing with my sister and cousin, 2 single females in their 40's and 50's.

Hope to meet you onboard!

donna
Old May 27th, 2008, 10:19 PM
Admiral

Donna,
I know you do your homework so you might already know this. The QM is docked at the Long Beach port about 10 miles away from the San Pedro port where you will be cruising from. Only Carnival cruises from Long Beach. Princess, RCI, HAL, etch cruise from San Pedro. While the QM would be a unique treat, I have heard the cabins are small and quaint. davejohn got a great deal on the Crowne thru Priceline. Kuki and fellow cruisemates stayed there before their Hawaii cruise a couple years ago. DH and I met him, Y2C-Steve, Keith and Judy and others the night before they left. Maybe he will chime in with an opinion.

#36-Carnival Splendor 9/16/12
7 night Mexican Riviera
Retirement Celebration

#37-Allure of the Seas 11/11/12
7 night Eastern Caribbean

#38-Celebrity Solstice 4/8/13
17 night Tahiti -- Sydney-Honolulu
40th Anniversary Celebration

270 days at see; soon to be 302
Old May 29th, 2008, 10:38 PM
Captain

Quote:

We stayed at the Holiday Inn in Long Beach for our cruise in 2006 to Alaska. They offered free transportation to the pier when we stayed there. Another suggestion is to check out car rental prices for one day at LAX and then drop in downtown Long Beach on the day of your cruise. Two years ago we rented a car for less than $20 for a full day and drove to the Ronald Reagan Presidential Library the morning of our cruise and had a fantastic time. You might want to check out web sites that give current reviews of hotels in the area.

Have a fantastic cruise.

Debra

Winston Churchill

email: debra2106@yahoo.com
Old May 31st, 2008, 04:19 PM
Admiral

Quote:

If you are getting in the night before the cruise, forget Long Beach. Why would you want to taxi to Long Beach, sleep then taxi to the port. it is futher than 10 miles btw.

There are many choices around LAX, we like Embassy Suites because the hotel is friendly and they offer a 2 hr cocktail party at night and full cooked to order breakfast, but there are many other choices. If you do decide to venture to San Pedro, yes the Crown Plaza is your best bet. We booked it through Priceline for about $80.00 per night.

Oh and Debra, isn't the Reagan library something else? We absolutely loved every minute we were there.

Nita
Old May 31st, 2008, 04:21 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fern
Welcome!

We haven't been to LA yet, but we're booked at the Doubletree, San Pedro, for our next cruise (we're staying 2 days pre-cruise). I've also heard good things about the Crown Plaza, San Pedro.

I'd suggest you check the major hotel booking sites to see the reviews. Since you get in so late it might be better to book an airport hotel that has a shuttle from the airport to the hotel and from the hotel to the pier. I'm sorry I can't help you with that info, but hopefully someone will come along who can !

Have a wonderful cruise!
My second choice or maybe even first would be DoubleTree as we always try to choose Hilton Brand hotels. Not to highjack this thread, but your state will be our state in 11 more days.

Nita
Old May 31st, 2008, 09:45 PM
Admiral

Quietly, shhhh, hijacking back....

WELCOME TO ARKANSAS IN 11 DAYS !

"A truly happy person is one who can enjoy the scenery on a detour."

Carnival Inspiration 2002 Carnival Elation 2004
Grand Princess 2004 NCL Sun 2005
Sun Princess 2006 NCL Dream 2007
Caribbean Princess 2007 NCL Dawn 2008
Island Princess 2008 Island Princess 2009
Golden Princess 2009 Carnival Conquest 2010
Grand Princess 2010 Island Princess 2011
Grand Princess 2011 Carnival Magic 2012
Carnival Dream 2012 Island Princess 2013
Carnival Magic 2013 Carnival Legend 2014
Sea Princess 2014
Old June 2nd, 2008, 11:18 PM
Passenger

Default Crowne Plaza, San Pedro is very good.

Last August we had 4 nights at the Crowne Plaza, San Pedro, pre cruise. Good value hotel, good condition, nice staff, nice pool, meals quite reasonably priced and OK. On a Thursday night the hotel takes guests out on a motor launch at 5pm, around the harbour, drinks and snacks, enjoyed that. Free shuttle to Cruise Centre too, only a couple of minutes. We took local bus from near hotel over to Long Beach to see QM, etc. I did a review of the hotel on tripadvisor (am I allowed to mention that on here?)

Also found San Pedro an interesting little town, museum etc.

Cheers..Les

Princess Elite Cruiser
195 cruise days with Sitmar, P&O and Princess
All over the world !
Old June 6th, 2008, 09:20 PM
Beginner

Thanks to everyone for the great suggestions. They are much appreciated.
We have had a 2nd look at our flight times and we are getting in later than originally planned so are taking the LAX suggestion. We got a great deal at the Rennaisance at LAX.

We are staying in LA for 2 nights following the cruise to do a bit of exploration. We are booked in Le Montrose - our travelling companion gets a film industry corporate credit there so price was good for West Hollywood.

Rollerdonna, hope to see you on the cruise. We are a couple in our mid forties who will be travelling with our 4 year old (yep we are 45 year olds with a 4 year old you did not read that wrong - it will be her 4th cruise). Also joining us is a great friend of ours who is female, single and in her mid 50's. We are usually easy to spot.
Old June 13th, 2008, 06:50 PM
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita
Quote:
Welcome!

Have a wonderful cruise!
My second choice or maybe even first would be DoubleTree as we always try to choose Hilton Brand hotels. Not to highjack this thread, but your state will be our state in 11 more days.

Nita
welcome to the South, watcha doing in Ark n saw? ( I feel entitled to say that since I'm frm Ark N SaW)
Grandeur of the Seas, 8/99
Mercury, 11/98
Century, 10/97
Fascination, 10/96
Old June 13th, 2008, 06:54 PM
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita
Quote:
Welcome!

Have a wonderful cruise!

Nita
welcome to the South, watcha doing in Ark n saw? ( I feel entitled to say that since I'm frm Ark N SaW)
Grandeur of the Seas, 8/99
Mercury, 11/98
Century, 10/97
Fascination, 10/96