Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Princess Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old May 25th, 2008, 01:08 PM
Passenger

Default What about this guys

Move Over Genesis!!!! 370,000 tons for a new Cruise Ship in the planning stages !!!!
For more info, go to -
http://www.topspeed.com/boats/boat-ne... -
If you think the plans for Royal Caribbean's Genesis class are wild, wait until you hear about Princess Kaguya, a city-at-sea concept that's been presented to Finland's Aker Yards, according to media reports. If financed and ultimately built, the ship would measure 370,000 tons; that's more than one-and-a-half times the size of Genesis (222,000 tons).

It's not a cruise line behind the idea, but a company called Japan Contents Network Inc., whose CEO Hajime Tanaka has launched three golf courses and a Formula One circuit. And the 20-deck ship itself would operate differently from the cruise ships most travelers are used to. In addition to carrying a maximum number of 8,400 passengers, up to 10,000 visitors could board in each port to partake of its urban amenities. JCN has even considered selling some rooms as residences.

The proposed design on its project Web site, princesskaguya.com, includes:

Three independent, different "class" hotels, each with 1,200 rooms.

A multipurpose hall of 6,000 square meters, nearly 65,000 square ft., for holding trade shows and conventions, concerts, indoor sporting events, etc.

A shopping mall 300 meters long, almost 1,000 ft.

A whopping 55 restaurants: 20 for passengers, 20 for visitors, and five in each of the three hotels (15 altogether).

A "Cruising Amusement Park" (no specific details are given at this point).
----------------------------------
Aker Yards designs Princess Kaguya colossus

Conceptual designs for a huge 'urban cruise ship' which will house three 1,200-room hotels offering residential suites and offices, a total of 45 restaurants, a shopping mall, 6,000sq mtr convention hall, a 2,000-seat concert hall and amusement park, have been completed by Aker Yards.

The company behind the project is Tokyo-based Japan Contents Network Inc whose ceo, 60-year-old Hajime Tanaka, designed and built three Japanese golf courses in the 1970s and a private driving circuit which hosted two Formula One Pacific Grand Prix in the '90s.

The dimensions of the ship, project name 'Princess Kaguya,' are staggering: 370,000grt, 500 mtr long, with 20 decks and capacity for 8,400 passengers, 4,000 crew and a service speed of 20 knots. 'What makes this project different to a conventional cruise ship is the ability to cater for 10,000 visitors while the ship is in port, in addition to the passenger/crew roster, allowing up to 30,000 people to be on board simultaneously,' Ko Nemoto, JCN corporate officer, told Seatrade Insider.

The idea would be to hold sporting events and exhibition and trade shows on the floating city while the ship is in port, initially in Asian waters but dependent on demand the vessel could go anywhere in the world.

Nemoto confirmed the company is now analyzing the business and financial aspects of the project in conjunction with a prominent European corporate finance house and a dozen or so Asian financial institutions. 'We hope to get financial backing by the end of this year, and would spend a further year working on contractural issues'. The construction period will be three years so realistically the ship would not be ready until late 2011, early 2012.

While the initial conceptual study resulted in a ship of 370,000gt, an even bigger ship incorporating all of JCN's wish list came out at around 450,000gt equivalent to a double Genesis-sized ship, but Nemoto said the 370,000gt version proved to be technically feasible and more realistic in terms of maneuvering in port (see www.princesskaguya.com). RCI's Genesis, arriving in 2009, will be 220,000gt, so Princess Kaguya would be more than one-and-a-half times bigger.
----
Royal Caribbean's Genesis Caribbean International Carnival Cruise line Holland America Princess Kaguya Aker Yards Finnyards USS RoyalCaribbean Norwegian Hawaii vacations Caribbean Mexico Alaska VacationOutlet Oslo Norway Queen Elizabeth II Celebrity Constellation v -
Sponsored Links
Old May 25th, 2008, 04:51 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

This one doesn't sound like the typical cruiseship, with hotels and restaurants. Will it have a regular itinary?? They mentioned "visitors", so I would assume people could come onboard for a meal??

Message Boards Moderator
Old May 25th, 2008, 10:52 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip

I kept getting an error for this site.:(

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator

Old May 26th, 2008, 03:21 AM
Familiar Face

Watch this vid to the End !

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=H3Z1pJZ9_Bo
Old May 26th, 2008, 06:06 AM
Passenger

I dont like the idea of 10,000 people trying to get on lifeboats all at once
Old May 26th, 2008, 05:22 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by shiploger
I dont like the idea of 10,000 people trying to get on lifeboats all at once
Yep

Cruised more times than I can remember.

Good people sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

Courage and perserverance have a magical talisman; before which difficulties disappear and obstacles vanish into the air.

Pick your company wisely! Hang around people who are going to help you become all God created you to be.
Old May 27th, 2008, 02:01 AM
First Mate

What port would be able to take in a ship that size? The life boats must be huge, for so many people.

At 20 stories high, I am not sure it could visit San Francisco, and sail under the Golden Gate, maybe at low tide.
Old May 27th, 2008, 09:25 AM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip

I got this link, and I ask..why oh why!!!!!!!

http://www.topspeed.com/boats/boat-n...d-ar32625.html

Can you even imagine the inpact on everything surrounding having such a behomoth in port? Taxi;s Hotels, ..The airport..Oh Lordy!

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator

Old May 27th, 2008, 03:07 PM
Passenger

Did peop;e feel this way when plans for ships like the Grand princes where released ?
Old May 27th, 2008, 06:22 PM
Captain

All I can say is why??
Grandeur of the Seas, 8/99
Mercury, 11/98
Century, 10/97
Fascination, 10/96