Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Princess Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old June 20th, 2008, 11:36 AM
First Mate

Default Laundry Question

Do any of the Princess ships have self laundry facilities?

We're looking into a family (at least 20 of us!) cruise to Alaska next summer and really want to do our own laundry if at all possible.

We're currently booked on RC and the ship we're sailing requires us to send our laundry down to be taken care of. Don't like this idea or the charges so doing a bit more homework before we sail again.

2005 Carnival Spirit to Alaska

2007 Carnival Conquest to Western Caribbean

2008 Royal Caribbean Explorer of the Seas to New England/Canada

2010 Royal Caribbean Explorer of the Seas to Southern Caribbean
Sponsored Links
Old June 20th, 2008, 12:24 PM
Admiral

Yes, Princess has self-serve laundries as well as services provided by the ship.

$1 to wash and $1 to dry. Soap is extra.

SS Norway (12 times) '85 - '97; Radiance OS 06/01; Island Princess 11/04, Grand Princess 11/04/05, Golden Princess 7/21/06, Golden Princess 2/24/07, Explorer of the Seas 12/23/07, Island Princess 11/15/08
Old June 20th, 2008, 12:37 PM
First Mate

THANKS!!!

The more I read on the Princess brouchure the more we'll likely to book this line

2005 Carnival Spirit to Alaska

2007 Carnival Conquest to Western Caribbean

2008 Royal Caribbean Explorer of the Seas to New England/Canada

2010 Royal Caribbean Explorer of the Seas to Southern Caribbean
Old June 20th, 2008, 09:47 PM
First Mate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irish Shark
Yes, Princess has self-serve laundries as well as services provided by the ship.

$1 to wash and $1 to dry. Soap is extra.
I've found that the prices vary on different ships. Most expensive I think was $1.50 per machine.

Just about every deck has a launderette, most of the ships they alternate forward and aft. So if the one on your deck is at the opposite end, just go up/down a flight to find the nearest.

Sea days and formal night days are busiest. Best time is either on port days (if you stay on the ship or return early) or in the am after a big party the night before! I start a load, get some tea, swap to the dryer, wander around a bit, then go back to pick it up. It doesn't seem like a chore to me that way. I never sit in there and wait, but I be sure to go back on time so I'm not hogging the machine. It's about the only time I watch the clock all week!

Princess is a great cruiseline. Enjoy!
Old June 21st, 2008, 12:28 PM
Admiral

On our past 4 cruises on Princess that was the price. What ships are a $1.50?

SS Norway (12 times) '85 - '97; Radiance OS 06/01; Island Princess 11/04, Grand Princess 11/04/05, Golden Princess 7/21/06, Golden Princess 2/24/07, Explorer of the Seas 12/23/07, Island Princess 11/15/08
Old June 21st, 2008, 03:06 PM
Admiral

It was $1 also this past February on the Diamond. There were 8 washers and dryers. They also had 4 ironing board stations set up.

#36-Carnival Splendor 9/16/12
7 night Mexican Riviera
Retirement Celebration

#37-Allure of the Seas 11/11/12
7 night Eastern Caribbean

#38-Celebrity Solstice 4/8/13
17 night Tahiti -- Sydney-Honolulu
40th Anniversary Celebration

270 days at see; soon to be 302
Old June 23rd, 2008, 10:40 AM
Familiar Face

It was $1 in late May on the Diamond. But you'll need more than the 20 minutes to dry if you have anything heavy, even cotton socks. The nice thing is that you can put in more than $1 to start on the dryers so you don't have to keep running back every 20 minutes. Each quarter gets 15 minutes more. I usually start by putting $1.50 in.
Old June 24th, 2008, 12:29 PM
Passenger

Scattered and mapped out in your cabin you will have a mini map of your vessel along with where all the laundry services are located.

Machines do a fine job heavy duty equipment.But as always double check the washers and dryers as sometimes people would leave things in there that might damage your clothes.
Old July 8th, 2008, 02:07 PM
Captain

Send a message via Yahoo to Dannyboy
Default Self Serve laundry

Please remember every ship has different facilities.
Most of the Princess ships do have self serve laundry with irons in the laundry rooms, check to confirm.

You can view the deck plan online to locate the laundry room location on each deck.
The pricing per load can and will increase, If your a family, find a market and purchase all your soaps, powder bleech, stain removers and spray starch AFTER you arrive at your port of EMBARKATION and carry the items onboard ship.
Some Airlines are charging for excess weights on check-in bags.

Note: The day prior to returning from your cruise, the laundry room is over crowded and the change machine is always empty.
The same will apply to closing off your onboard accounts at the front desk.

Completed all your washing and front desk business 1 day before disembarkation on your return home.
Old July 14th, 2008, 06:28 PM
Admiral

I will use the laundry next time because of the price of checking baggage.

Good people sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

Courage and perserverance have a magical talisman; before which difficulties disappear and obstacles vanish into the air.

Pick your company wisely! Hang around people who are going to help you become all God created you to be.
Old July 23rd, 2008, 06:46 PM
Passenger

I think they do but go to the princess website and look up the ship you will be traveling on and take a tour and see if they have them.

I have found them to be on every other deck near the front or back, not in the middle. They are BUSY most of the time and have hours posted on the door.

It is way expensive to have laundry done on board. Sometimes I just take old stuff and trash it when I am done! If you have cruised many, many times with princess you get Elite status and free laundry and dry cleaning :-)
Old August 8th, 2008, 01:00 PM
Captain

The self-serve laundries are one of the reasons I prefer Princess and Carnival over Royal Caribbean. None of the RC ships have self-serve laundries.

Libragirl
Old August 11th, 2008, 11:00 PM
Captain

The self-service laundry on Princess is a great perk for me. It is especially great when doing a b2b. On turnaround day the ship is almost empty most of the morning and it does save on how much luggage I have to take. It is one of the many ways that Princess does stand a step above their competition.

Debra

Winston Churchill

email: debra2106@yahoo.com