Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Princess Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old June 27th, 2008, 01:15 PM
Admiral

Default Dress code

For my friends who are going on first cruise on Princess....what is the dress code in dining room for dinner? Other than formal night? It's been so long since we did Princess, I'm starting to think we should go again!
Marty
Sponsored Links
Old June 27th, 2008, 01:20 PM
Admiral

Smart Casual Evenings:

Passenger attire should be in keeping with what would be worn to a nice restaurant at home. Inappropriate dinner dress such as pool or beach attire, shorts, ball caps and casual jeans (with fraying and/or holes), is not permitted in the dining rooms. Shoes must be worn.

SS Norway (12 times) '85 - '97; Radiance OS 06/01; Island Princess 11/04, Grand Princess 11/04/05, Golden Princess 7/21/06, Golden Princess 2/24/07, Explorer of the Seas 12/23/07, Island Princess 11/15/08
Old June 28th, 2008, 01:43 PM
Admiral

Thanks, Irish!
Marty
Old July 1st, 2008, 09:39 AM
Admiral

the vast majority of men will be wearing dockers type pants - khaki, navy, grey, brown, black with either a polo type shirt or a button-down short sleeve shirt, with casual shoes or leather sandals on casual nights. Most women will be wearing sundress with flat sandals or kitten heels, nice capris with a nice top or sweater, casual skirt/blouse or nice trousers with a nice blouse, sandals or kitten heels
Old July 1st, 2008, 06:24 PM
Captain

just testing my ticker!
Grandeur of the Seas, 8/99
Mercury, 11/98
Century, 10/97
Fascination, 10/96
Old July 18th, 2008, 07:39 AM
Captain

AN interesting choice for the ladies is a pareo - you know one of those supersize scarves- you can wrap it around your waist just so for a skirt- wear it with a simple white tee or tank . . . even wrap it around yourself & tie it at your neck (there are techniques for this ) like a halter- all you need now are some strappy flats . . . heck you are in the Carribbean!
Grandeur of the Seas, 8/99
Mercury, 11/98
Century, 10/97
Fascination, 10/96
Old July 20th, 2008, 10:15 PM
Passenger

Default Dress codes in restaurant at dinner

For men, smart casual, i.e collared short and trousers. On formal nights, every seven days generally, Jacket and tie job. However just got off Sun Princess round Australia and no enforcement of dress codes, people in track suits for dinner and no enforcement of jacket and tie on formal nights. Bit slack I think. Come on you Aussies dress up a bit. :evil:

Princess Elite Cruiser
195 cruise days with Sitmar, P&O and Princess
All over the world !
Old July 22nd, 2008, 10:50 AM
Passenger

Princess dinner dress code is no shorts, swim suits/cover up.
Most people seem to dress in nice casual clothing, either dresses or pants suits. Depends on if they are going on to dance or the theater.
Old August 8th, 2008, 08:08 PM
First Mate

You'll see many people in jeans on casual nights. I've never had a problem wearing them.
Old August 9th, 2008, 06:40 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

I was actually thinking of jeans for just the first nite, makes packing a lot easier, I'd just planned on putting a nicer top in the carry-on, I may just do that, thanks :-)

Message Boards Moderator
Old August 9th, 2008, 06:49 AM
First Mate

There were times that we traveled in shorts & really didn't have enough time to change before dinner because of luggage arriving late & we ate in shorts. We were allowed in the dr but warned that on other evenings it wouldn't be tolerated.
Old August 11th, 2008, 12:44 AM
Familiar Face

I know we have beaten the topic of jeans to death. But I do want to say that I have seen a great many people with jeans on in the dining rooms every cruise that I have been on particulary in Alaska.

If Princess wants to remove the doubt of whether they are permitted or not than they need to tweek the sentence that says " with fraying and/or holes. It sounds like jeans are ok as long as they are not frayed or have holes. If they are not permitted than say so. They leave no doubt that ball caps are not allowed - doesn't matter the condition - ball caps are not allowed.

[/b]
Old August 11th, 2008, 03:04 AM
First Mate

I just returned from the Emerald and the smart casual, was the attire most of the time. It was very hot in the Greek Isles.
Old August 17th, 2008, 04:47 AM
Cruise Maniac

I just returned from the Caribbean Princess and the dress code for dinner was not enforced at all. They were letting people in in cut off shorts an tee shirts and almost anything went. I complained to the head waiter at the door and he told me that he was ordered to completely ignore the way anyone was dressed. I guess that is another of Carnival's influences, letting people eat in the dining room while dressed like slobs.
Old August 17th, 2008, 06:11 AM
First Mate

jim130, I think that order was give out some time ago. They might not officially admit it but it's been relaxed for the past 5 or 6 years. It doesn't bother me in the least to see the formal nights relaxed somewhat but the cut off jeans might me a bit much.
Old August 17th, 2008, 09:09 AM
Passenger

Jim, which cruise were you on? We just got off on Aug 15th. I saw very few people in jeans and no one in shorts at the dining restaurants. We did anytime dining. They really do try hard to make the experience nice. I would have definitely felt out of place wearing jeans for dinner.
Old August 17th, 2008, 01:13 PM
Cruise Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by vaoceangal
Jim, which cruise were you on? We just got off on Aug 15th. I saw very few people in jeans and no one in shorts at the dining restaurants. We did anytime dining. They really do try hard to make the experience nice. I would have definitely felt out of place wearing jeans for dinner.
We were on the August 6th sailiing and the one before it July 28th. On the July sailing the dress code did seem to be enforced but certainly not the August 6th one. We did anytime dining in the Coral dining room. Perhaps if you were eating in the Palm dining room it was enforced. As I said in the Coral dining room it seemed like "anything" was "acceptable".
Jim..
Old August 18th, 2008, 05:27 AM
Passenger

Hi Jim, we were on the Aug 6th cruise as well. We tried both dining rooms, Palm and Coral, but usually ate around 5:30 to avoid the crowd. I do agree with you that there are some that just don't seem to care what they look like any time of the day, but I didn't eat in the restaurants every night. Sometimes we ordered room service and once we ate at Sabbatinis. For 3000 + people, the majority behaved pretty well, except on that Reflections CD my kids purchased. Now I know why we stayed away from the 15th floor pool! My teenage son did watch for non conformists at the restaurants though because we forced him to dress nice for dinner! After the first couple of times, he didn't mind after all.
Old September 3rd, 2008, 04:48 PM
Passenger

Just got off the Sea Princess on the 28th did not notice any one in jeans in the main dining area when in there but there were quite a few in them around and about even on formal nights.

What I did see was the head waiter attitude change to those who was wearing a tie on on the none formal days he was more accommodating to seating preferences others had noticed this as well. we put it down to you make the effort he makes an effort.

Barrie,
Old September 3rd, 2008, 05:27 PM
First Mate

With or without a tie I walk in with reservations.
Old September 4th, 2008, 01:56 AM
Passenger

Default Princess may as well as throw out their dress codes

My feeling is Princess may as well as throw out their dress code requirements as my observation on recent Princess ships is that there is little or no enforcement of the dress codes that appear in your cruise documents, Princess Patter or signage at Dining Room entry.

I am no formal night tuxedo wearer anymore, but take a nice Blazer (Bermuda Jacket), nice dress shirt and tie. Perfectly acceptable, but some dress like slobs, particularly on the Australia cruises.

Here come the bullets!

Princess Elite Cruiser
195 cruise days with Sitmar, P&O and Princess
All over the world !
Old September 5th, 2008, 10:25 AM
Admiral

Barrie - very interesting observation indeed
Old September 16th, 2008, 01:10 PM
Beginner

Default Re: Princess may as well as throw out their dress codes

Quote:
Originally Posted by NSWP
My feeling is Princess may as well as throw out their dress code requirements as my observation on recent Princess ships is that there is little or no enforcement of the dress codes that appear in your cruise documents, Princess Patter or signage at Dining Room entry.

I am no formal night tuxedo wearer anymore, but take a nice Blazer (Bermuda Jacket), nice dress shirt and tie. Perfectly acceptable, but some dress like slobs, particularly on the Australia cruises.

Here come the bullets!
While I do dress for the occasion it doesn't bother me what other people dress like. But for some people, like those old hags on the other board, it ruins their evening. Well, too bad. They should sail Crystal then.

But I do agree that people shouldn't dress like slobs either. It just doesn't bother me if they do.
Old September 16th, 2008, 01:34 PM
First Mate

Default Re: Princess may as well as throw out their dress codes

[/quote]While I do dress for the occasion it doesn't bother me what other people dress like. But for some people, like those old hags on the other board, it ruins their evening. Well, too bad. They should sail Crystal then.

But I do agree that people shouldn't dress like slobs either. It just doesn't bother me if they do.[/quote]

HI Cleveland, We're in complete agreement about the interpretation of the dress regulations. Every time someone suggests that it should be relaxed the die hard formalists chime in with their visions of people dressing in shorts, dirty shirts, baseball caps, etc. which it isn't today even on the relaxed atmosphere of NCL.

They should just segregate the anytime dr into sides. One formal, one casual. Leave the traditional the way it is today.
If the formal people want to dress among themselves, that's fine. The other side of the dr can hardly be seen & doesn't deter from their so called enjoyment.
Old September 16th, 2008, 02:31 PM
Passenger

A great deal of the enjoyment of anticipating this, our first cruise, has been shopping for formal/smart casual attire!

We have no intention of lowering the dining standards... but rather, we shall raise them slightly, as I ended up with more "formal" wear than formal nights! And, dammit, I will NOT be thwarted from strutting my stuff!

I give not a fig what others wear, as long as they don't point and stare at me too obviously...
Old September 22nd, 2008, 06:58 AM
Passenger

And after reading all that guff it seems plain that this particular subject recieves at least as much attention as does 'tipping' and 'alcohol', which must say something about human nature ?? I think it's a sorry state of affairs when passengers cannot define what 'formal dress' and what 'casual dress' actually mean.

Certainly, when Aussies or NZ'ers are faced with 'casual' they are going to turn up with anything from bare feet, ragged shorts and a singlet to thongs, togs and beach sand on the shoulders.

But formal means just that for men. Suit, shirt, tie, socks, shoes. Preferably matching. It doesn't mean tails. It doesn't mean dress shirt, dickie, bow, waistcoat and suspenders.

As far as women are concerned - they need no advice. They know the difference between casual and formal by instinct.

Take it all with a grain of salt, as the saying goes. Shipping lines are there to make money, not to influence your dress code. After all, they really will not throw you overboard if you don't comply

Happy sailing everyone
Nevl
Old September 22nd, 2008, 06:04 PM
Passenger

Wow this topic gets people going! I'm not sure that what other's wear has any effect on my dining experience, my choice is dress pants and collared shirt, but thats my choice.

Roger

Read and post cruise reviews
Old September 24th, 2008, 05:43 AM
Passenger

See, this is where the problem lies. Or lays. What on earth are 'dress-pants'? To my mind, these are high-back fitted trou, hung on suspenders, and with a satin stripe down the outside seam. Usually worn as a part of a 'Dress-suit'.

And what is a 'collared' shirt? Anything other than a tee, turtle or vee?
Help,
Nev
Old September 24th, 2008, 09:04 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

The pants you are describing sound like pants that go with a tux...Dress pants are just a nice pair of pants, usually navy, black, brown or gray that can go with a sports jacket/tie or not. They don't necessarily go with a suit, but can.

Yes, any shirt with a collar will do, unlike t-shirts that have no collar.

Message Boards Moderator
Old September 25th, 2008, 07:40 AM
Passenger

Thanks for clearing that up Donna - for our first cruise after 25 years it's good to be up to date with everything. You sure look a happy lady - and with almost 20,000 posts to your credit? That's amazing. The best of life to you.
Regards
Nev