Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Princess Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old June 27th, 2008, 03:33 PM
First Mate

Default Golden Princess to Alaska

What can anyone tell me about this ship?

Anyone ever booked the Grand Suite on this ship?

What are the "Vista Suites" as our TA is calling them???

We will be sailing with ages 6 up into the 50's.

Advice yea or nay for this ship?

2005 Carnival Spirit to Alaska

2007 Carnival Conquest to Western Caribbean

2008 Royal Caribbean Explorer of the Seas to New England/Canada

2010 Royal Caribbean Explorer of the Seas to Southern Caribbean
Sponsored Links
Old June 27th, 2008, 05:09 PM
Admiral

I have been on her twice. Nice, clean ship and friendly staff.

I think your TA is talking about the VS suite category.

"Twin beds that make up into a queen-size bed. Separate sitting area with sofa bed and desk. Two televisions. Refrigerator with wet bar. Walk-in closet. Bathroom with tub and shower. Approximately 468 to 591 square feet including baclony.

SS Norway (12 times) '85 - '97; Radiance OS 06/01; Island Princess 11/04, Grand Princess 11/04/05, Golden Princess 7/21/06, Golden Princess 2/24/07, Explorer of the Seas 12/23/07, Island Princess 11/15/08
Old June 27th, 2008, 05:33 PM
First Mate

THANKS!

2005 Carnival Spirit to Alaska

2007 Carnival Conquest to Western Caribbean

2008 Royal Caribbean Explorer of the Seas to New England/Canada

2010 Royal Caribbean Explorer of the Seas to Southern Caribbean
Old July 5th, 2008, 01:50 PM
Captain

I am a HUGE "RCI" fan but before I get smacked, we did the "Golden" and was pleasantly surprised. My only complaint was that we were on "Aloha" deck and everyone could see down onto our balcony. The mini-suite was nice and if I wasn't "Diamond Plus" with "RCI," I would have no problem cruising on her again, Robbie
Old July 9th, 2011, 02:23 PM
Captain

Since I last posted I just noticed my mistake since we were on the "Dolphin" deck back then.

As I expand my cruising experiences into other lines I must say I have done the "Pacific Princess" a couple of times now and loved the small ships. DW loves suites so "Grand Suite" on the "Golden" is booked for 2013. I know these are limited on reviews but any fresh input on Grand suites on "Princess?"
Old July 10th, 2011, 11:23 PM
Admiral

Thumbs up Golden Princess

Golden Princess is a nice ship, not one of the newest in the Princess fleet but very good. We have sailed her, or her almost twin Grand Princess, and had a very good time.

You will love cruising to Alaska! We have done it 8 times and are still ready to go back.

You will find several of our reviews at
Cruising with the Halls

Have a GREAT cruise!

Check out our reviews and pics of our 41 cruises at
http://www.bully4.us/cruising.html
Old July 11th, 2011, 08:58 AM
Cruise Maniac

We took her on a 2 week to Hawaii last year. Dolphin deck mini-suite with balcony. Really liked the room. Laundry rooms on the deck worked out nice if you hit them at an off time. Mostly good experience. We've been a bit spoiled by RCI's large common areas/promenades, so the smallish stairway atrium and shop area was a bit disappointing. Did like the little coffee shop/deli. The fresh baked cookies were a big hit with all, and the panini sandwiches, pastries and stuff were a great alternative to the buffet. Loved our MDR waitress Ireni from Romania. Wanted to adopt her and bring her home. If you are coffee drinkers take advantage of the coffee card deal....

Last edited by Doug S; July 11th, 2011 at 08:59 AM. Reason: typo
Old July 11th, 2011, 06:50 PM
Admiral

We have been on 3 other princess ships over the years including the wonderful new Crown. We will be going on Golden Princess next week for a short Alaska cruise with our family, (some of whom have never cruised) for our 50th anniversary.

We ALWAYS choose traditional dining late seating -- but this time, we are going to try "anytime" for the very first time. Don't know how that will work out. Who says you can't teach old dogs new tricks??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug S View Post
We took her on a 2 week to Hawaii last year. Dolphin deck mini-suite with balcony. Really liked the room. Laundry rooms on the deck worked out nice if you hit them at an off time. Mostly good experience. We've been a bit spoiled by RCI's large common areas/promenades, so the smallish stairway atrium and shop area was a bit disappointing. Did like the little coffee shop/deli. The fresh baked cookies were a big hit with all, and the panini sandwiches, pastries and stuff were a great alternative to the buffet. Loved our MDR waitress Ireni from Romania. Wanted to adopt her and bring her home. If you are coffee drinkers take advantage of the coffee card deal....

Polynesia, Carib. '86
Cr. Odyssey, Scandinavia, '91, 30 Day S Pac. 2002
Crystal Harm, Aust., N.Z., '94
Royal Odyssey, AK,'96
Old Cr. Pr. Canal, '97
RCCL, Carib, 1998
Volendam, Car, 2000
Ryndam, 35 day S. Am., Antarctica, '03
Is. Pr., Canal, 2004
Statendam, 34 day China, Japan, AK '06
Cr.Pr., Carib. 08
Eurodam, Atlantic, Med. '10
Golden Princess
Old July 16th, 2011, 08:08 PM
Familiar Face

We did the Golden to Alaska this past May and loved it! Our balcony cabin had plenty of room.

We booked the Sapphire for an Alaska cruise next year and booked a VS. Our TA explained it as they are the lowest category full suite and the suite category with the exception of the GS is determined by suite location.
Old July 16th, 2011, 08:53 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

I cruised on Star Princess to Alaska and was very pleasantly suprised. Once you get used to how to get places and the ups and downs you need to know, it is a great ship, especially to Alaska. I found the food to be very good, nice selections and especially Horizon Court open 24 hours, also good for dinner. Serice was up there as well, good wait staff as well as cabin workers.

I am sure you will love Golden Princess, have a ball.

Message Boards Moderator