Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Princess Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old July 6th, 2008, 05:31 PM
Admiral

Default Upgrades

I just learned something new today. All of Princess's upgrades are computer generated. I don't know if they use some algorithm or just pluck at random from lower categories.

SS Norway (12 times) '85 - '97; Radiance OS 06/01; Island Princess 11/04, Grand Princess 11/04/05, Golden Princess 7/21/06, Golden Princess 2/24/07, Explorer of the Seas 12/23/07, Island Princess 11/15/08
Sponsored Links
Old July 6th, 2008, 05:58 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

Now, I'm curious to know what the progam looks for, when they booked, past passenger, etc.?

Message Boards Moderator
Old July 6th, 2008, 06:13 PM
Admiral

We will most likely never know unless an insider mole whispers in our ears.

SS Norway (12 times) '85 - '97; Radiance OS 06/01; Island Princess 11/04, Grand Princess 11/04/05, Golden Princess 7/21/06, Golden Princess 2/24/07, Explorer of the Seas 12/23/07, Island Princess 11/15/08
Old July 6th, 2008, 06:33 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Kuki

I think you might find quite commonly that those who paid the most for a particular category cabin get upgraded when they become available.
- The Kuki Side of Cruising-
A new Blog post every Wednesday
http://www.cruisemates.com/blog/author/kuki/
Old July 6th, 2008, 07:00 PM
Admiral

I don't think that is always true. You read reports of folks going from an inside to an Oceanview or Balcony.

Old July 6th, 2008, 11:15 PM
First Mate

IHave been on 40 plus cruises and those who have paid more have the better upgrade chances. Have always managed a better deal under guarantee even if on same deck. Most cruisers do not undestand that location on same deck can cause a higher price based on location.
Old July 7th, 2008, 03:11 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Kuki

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irish Shark
I don't think that is always true. You read reports of folks going from an inside to an Oceanview or Balcony.
Nothing is always true... that's why I said "might".
- The Kuki Side of Cruising-
A new Blog post every Wednesday
http://www.cruisemates.com/blog/author/kuki/
Old July 16th, 2008, 04:40 AM
Passenger

Default Two Recent Upgrades

I saw two recent upgrades on another forum which showed another criteria that might be used. Both were families with children. The two families were not traveling together.

Each had booked balconies with insides right across the hall for the kids.

Both were upgraded to Family Suites. Both had marked "Do not upgrade." Both were called and asked if they wanted the upgrade.

I am certain the computer didn't do this.

My last vacation planner at Princess told me that when they decide to start major upgrades ship wide, it goes crazy. While sometimes they may just plug it all into a program, sometimes a little brain power is necessary to get the best results. In the above cases, four cabins were freed up for new bookings in favor of two suites unlikely to have been booked.

Cheers!
Tee
Old July 16th, 2008, 11:38 AM
Captain

Maybe the computer spits out a list of cabins needed to move waitlisted folks & empty cabins to be filled. . . then a human has to make the calls.
I read about those 2 upgrades somewhere else- looks to me like everyone wins- the families with 2 cabins get the cool family suite, Princess gets to refill the inside/outside combos those families had & all 3 sets of passengers should be happy!
Grandeur of the Seas, 8/99
Mercury, 11/98
Century, 10/97
Fascination, 10/96
Old July 17th, 2008, 01:59 AM
First Mate

This is very good info. I have known people that got upgrades, but never knew how.
Can't you request an upgrade when you book your cruise? Maybe it is random. All cruise lines want a full house, so if you get an upgrade, that would free up other cabins, to be filled.
Old July 17th, 2008, 11:45 PM
Passenger

i asked them about it multiple times as an someone who has traveled with them a dozen times I have never been given an upgrade which I happen to be "elgible for" and yet have heard that some first time travelors have received upgrades. The front desk has no answers so I wrote corporate and they gave me a political answer which was no answer. I say it is a mystery.
I have made them upgrade my room when they gave me something the help should have been staying in! That was a real struggle on the SAOLD OUT ship which happened to be upgrading suites on one desk so I know they were NOT sold out as they were empty for the remodel!
Old July 24th, 2008, 06:05 PM
Admiral

Upgrades are a real hit or miss affair. Been lucky once on HAL to jump from a GUAR inside to a Deluxe Verandah.

See you have been promoting the waters in the south pacific as best for diving - heck us poor Texas divers would just get confused if we could see anything a few feet from us. We'd just have to close our eyes out there to feel at home.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lindazoo
i asked them about it multiple times as an someone who has traveled with them a dozen times I have never been given an upgrade which I happen to be "elgible for" and yet have heard that some first time travelors have received upgrades. The front desk has no answers so I wrote corporate and they gave me a political answer which was no answer. I say it is a mystery.
I have made them upgrade my room when they gave me something the help should have been staying in! That was a real struggle on the SAOLD OUT ship which happened to be upgrading suites on one desk so I know they were NOT sold out as they were empty for the remodel!
Amadeus:09 Diamond;Celebrity:10 Summit; HAL: 87 Rotterdam V,89 Nieuw Amsterdam II,93 Nordam III,94 Ryndam III,96 Westerdam III,99 Veendam IV,01 Maasdam V,02 Amsterdam III,03 Volendam III,03 Zuiderdam II,04 Westerdam IV,04 Oosterdam I,05 Zaandam III,06 Statendam V,06 Prinsendam II,07 Nordam IV,08 Eurodam I,08 Rotterdam VI,09 Veendam IV,09 Volendam,10 Nieuw Amsterdam IV,12 Ryndam III;11 P&O:Artemis;RC:07 Splendour of the Seas,11 Navigator of the Seas,12 Majesty of the Seas
Old July 24th, 2008, 09:48 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Yes folks, the cat is out of the bag. The Upgrade Fair 9000 controls your cabin fate. The UF9000 can be used for good or evil. It can give you an upgrade to a suite or stick you under the disco or the galley. Just make sure you are grateful when UF9000 is good to you.

Take care,
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Old July 24th, 2008, 10:17 PM
Admiral

Hmmm....so it was this critter that stuck a friend from the Captain's Circle under a Princess pool? Pure evil it is - a Death Star!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike M
Yes folks, the cat is out of the bag. The Upgrade Fair 9000 controls your cabin fate. The UF9000 can be used for good or evil. It can give you an upgrade to a suite or stick you under the disco or the galley. Just make sure you are grateful when UF9000 is good to you.

Take care,
Mike
Amadeus:09 Diamond;Celebrity:10 Summit; HAL: 87 Rotterdam V,89 Nieuw Amsterdam II,93 Nordam III,94 Ryndam III,96 Westerdam III,99 Veendam IV,01 Maasdam V,02 Amsterdam III,03 Volendam III,03 Zuiderdam II,04 Westerdam IV,04 Oosterdam I,05 Zaandam III,06 Statendam V,06 Prinsendam II,07 Nordam IV,08 Eurodam I,08 Rotterdam VI,09 Veendam IV,09 Volendam,10 Nieuw Amsterdam IV,12 Ryndam III;11 P&O:Artemis;RC:07 Splendour of the Seas,11 Navigator of the Seas,12 Majesty of the Seas
Old July 27th, 2008, 11:53 PM
Captain

Default Re: Upgrades

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irish Shark
I just learned something new today. All of Princess's upgrades are computer generated. I don't know if they use some algorithm or just pluck at random from lower categories.
I have been trying for years to figure out how the upgrade system works on Princess. We have been very fortunate and have had several upgrades. By upgrade, I mean moving from an inside to an outside, outside to a balcony or from a balcony to a suite and not just a "mini-upgrade" from say a BF to a BE.

On our first cruise we were upgraded from an outside to a balcony on Princess. This cruise we had booked late and at a much reduced price. On our last cruise which was our fourteenth on Princess we received no upgrade and found out that one of our tablemates who had booked the same category as ours and was on their second Princess cruise, had been upgraded to a full suite.

One thing that you can do is to make a request at the time of booking that you would be willing to accept an upgrade should one be available. The downside to this is that you would have no control on where on the ship your upgraded cabin will be located.

While I don't think anyone knows for sure, in talking with various Princess representatives about this subject the most often given explanation was that it is a random computer selection that controls upgrades. So, in my opinion it is just a matter of pure luck if the upgrade fairy pays you a visit.

Debra

Winston Churchill

email: debra2106@yahoo.com