Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Princess Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old July 8th, 2008, 09:48 AM
Familiar Face

Default INSURANCE

I have always went ahead and purchased the trip insurance through Princess. I was just wondering what everyone's opinion was on this. Do you seasoned cruisers use the insurance available through the cruiselines or do you purchase insurance form an outside agency.

Thank You!

Kathy
Sponsored Links
Old July 8th, 2008, 10:28 AM
Administrator
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Paul Motter

Usually the best bet is thrid-party insurance because it will cover the the failure of the cruise line. It is very easy to get third-party insurance. Ask your travel agent.
Old July 8th, 2008, 12:53 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

There are quite a few insurance companies to check out:

Access America
CSA Travel Protection
Travel Guard,

Just to name a few. All have web-sites where you can get a quick quote.

I've been using CSA for years now and have never had a major problem.

Message Boards Moderator
Old July 9th, 2008, 12:16 PM
Cruise Maniac

We used Access America 2 years ago.
My new Sony Cam Mini-DVD camera was stolen from my luggage some where between Anchorage and DFW. Since we changed planes twice, none of the airlines would take responsibility for the theft. Access America paid for my camera minus $200 Depreciation within 7 days after receiving documentation that the Airlines would not take responsibility.

Bandrews
Old July 10th, 2008, 07:41 AM
Cruise Maniac

Travel insurance today can be very complicated. A lot of factors come into play and the policy's vary from state. IMO Princess insurance is not a bad deal if you are Platinum because you get the free Upgrade, it also can be canceled without any payment anytime before final payment. Two excellent websites to check out Insurance are http://tripinsurancestore.com/ andhttp://www.insuremytrip.com/

Old July 10th, 2008, 02:09 PM
Cruise Maniac

Although I normally sell most of my clients (or try) RBC travel insurance (primarily to Canadians), I do have clients I recommend to take Princess Insurance:

For those over 70, Princess insurance is MUCH cheaper and has fewer restrictions regarding medical conditions BUT please note the $$ restrictions on Princess for evacuation and hospital stays... $20K/$50K is not going to get you far in the states for a hospital stay or medical evacuation.

When buying insurance it is important to educate yourself on what your needs are and what you are already covered for on your credit cards and medical insurance. DO NOT assume that you are automatically covered for foreign travel on your medical plan or that your credit card insurance that states you have coverage, doesn't come with restrictions.

Medically, look for a plan that will cover expenses directly with the medical facility and unlimited coverage is always best. Most plans will need no change in any medical condition for 90 - 180 days depending on your age and the plan... Princess medical coverage is no change in condition 60 days at the time of purchase (but please check for yourself at the back of the brochure)

For cancelation and baggage, you will need to see what your credit card will cover and 'top up' the difference. For example, I have a great credit card that covers $500 for delayed baggage... I was pleasantly surprised to find out that this was PER CARDHOLDER TRAVELING... so we ended up receiving close to $900 in reimbursed expenses when one of our bags did not make it on board. (the bag is lost forever according to NWA and they are only giving us $9 per pound which is pitiful) It made for some nice shopping in St Maarten and onboard for the first few days. My card has a max cancelation coverage of $2500 per FAMILY so if your card has restrictions like that, you may need to top up with additional cancelation coverage if your cruise and flights cost more than that.

So, in summary (if you are still awake) Princess coverage is great if you are older or do not need any medical coverage and/or would otherwise not receive coverage due to medical conditions... but please read the policy on the back of the brochure before you make your decision.
Old July 10th, 2008, 02:25 PM
Admiral

We always get travel insurance; either CSA or TravelGuard. Today I was calling my medical insurance about a copay and asked about medical coverage outside the US. She said Blue Cross Blue Shield is Worldwide Coverage!! I would have to pay first then send them the bills for reimbursement. This is something I didn't know and might change my travel insurance coverage for future trips. Check with your medical insurance before you buy.

#36-Carnival Splendor 9/16/12
7 night Mexican Riviera
Retirement Celebration

#37-Allure of the Seas 11/11/12
7 night Eastern Caribbean

#38-Celebrity Solstice 4/8/13
17 night Tahiti -- Sydney-Honolulu
40th Anniversary Celebration

270 days at see; soon to be 302
Old July 11th, 2008, 08:36 AM
Cruise Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by CA Cruiser
We always get travel insurance; either CSA or TravelGuard. Today I was calling my medical insurance about a copay and asked about medical coverage outside the US. She said Blue Cross Blue Shield is Worldwide Coverage!! I would have to pay first then send them the bills for reimbursement. This is something I didn't know and might change my travel insurance coverage for future trips. Check with your medical insurance before you buy.
If you check a little closer you will find
1. Your deductible applies
2. You will be out of network so your co-insurance will be 60% not 80%
3. BCBS uses "Reasonable & Customary" for its basis which is usually much lower then the actual amount you will have to pay.
So don't think you won't need at least some kind of additional insurance.

Old July 14th, 2008, 06:26 PM
Admiral

At least you had the idea to get insurance.

Cruised more times than I can remember.

Good people sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

Courage and perserverance have a magical talisman; before which difficulties disappear and obstacles vanish into the air.

Pick your company wisely! Hang around people who are going to help you become all God created you to be.
Old March 24th, 2010, 02:33 AM
Beginner

Angry Do NOT purchase insurance through Princess

I have had a horrible experience with Princess trip insurance (BerkleyCare). I had to cancel a cruise in December 2009 due to job loss (was laid off the day I'm supposed to leave for the cruise) but Princess insurance only covers severe medical reasons for cancellation. Apparently, job loss just isn't catastrophic enough! I did get a "Future Cruise Credit" for 75% of the total fare of the cancelled cruise.

So, it's the future and I'm trying to book a Canada/New England cruise with Princess and I want to use the credit for me and my cousin. Princess says "no, the credit isn't transferrable." I'm not transferring it, I'm going on the cruise, too. So now I'm going to have to fight to get the full credit. AND, the credit can only be used on 1 cruise. Since Princess already has my money and I can never get it back, the least they can do is let me spend it the way I want to.

Bottom line, do NOT get insurance through Princess. It covers nothing but cancellation due to medical reasons.
Old March 24th, 2010, 08:05 PM
Familiar Face

As a matter of fact, I just bought insurance for my upcoming cruise today. I've never bought the cruise lines' insurance, but search policies on insuremytrip.com or tripinsurancestore.com. It's a great way to compare companies, prices and packages, and the best way to get coverage you need at a price you can afford.

2010 ~ Emerald Princess

2008 ~ Norwegian Dream
2005 ~ Caribbean Princess
2003 ~ Carnival Imagination
2002 ~ Grand Princess
Old March 24th, 2010, 11:02 PM
Admiral

I am a little surprised that job loss was not covered in late 2009 - as it was one of the big issues of the year. But Princess' decision is in line with most policies commercially available as well. Some have added a job loss clause. Alternatively you can buy a policy with a "cancel for any reason" clause. You usually have to purchase such insurance very shortly after booking your cruise (such as 14 or 30 days).

A Bad Day At Sea [with power] Always Beats A Good Day At Work
Carnival: Glory 2004, Destiny 2008, Splendor 2009, Freedom 2011, Valor 2012, Dream 2013
Celebrity: Summit 2011
Princess: Ruby 2010, 2014, Caribbean 2013, Coral 2014
Old March 26th, 2010, 05:07 PM
Captain

We have purchased insurance on our own and have not had any problem. We not get a free upgrade to gold from Princess, so now we usually book the insurance through Princess. We also like the idea of shopping around for a policy that allows you to cancel for any reason. That seems to cover everything!

Debra

Winston Churchill

email: debra2106@yahoo.com
Old March 26th, 2010, 08:16 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip

Years ago, when we saw the Big Red Boat padlocked in Nassau, with all the employees, and, psassengers told to vamoose...I wondered how many people had purchased insurance from the cruise line...

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator

Last edited by Trip; March 27th, 2010 at 09:52 PM.
Old March 26th, 2010, 09:04 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trip View Post
Years ago, when we saw the Big Red Boat locked and padlocked in Nassau, with all the employees and people told to vamoose...I wondered how many people had purchased insurance from the cruise line...

Amen, Trip! Never, ever, buy the cruiseline's insurance! If they go "under", (not likely, but definitely possible!), you're out of luck! We've used RBC Freedom Plan and been very happy with the prices and the service. We always buy when we book so that everything is covered.

JMHO.

"A truly happy person is one who can enjoy the scenery on a detour."

Carnival Inspiration 2002 Carnival Elation 2004
Grand Princess 2004 NCL Sun 2005
Sun Princess 2006 NCL Dream 2007
Caribbean Princess 2007 NCL Dawn 2008
Island Princess 2008 Island Princess 2009
Golden Princess 2009 Carnival Conquest 2010
Grand Princess 2010 Island Princess 2011
Grand Princess 2011 Carnival Magic 2012
Carnival Dream 2012 Island Princess 2013
Carnival Magic 2013 Carnival Legend 2014
Sea Princess 2014
Old March 28th, 2010, 12:21 AM
Passenger

Default another question for you in the know

First off Im new here at prepping to go on first cruise with my wife. Here is my question:
While I too have health ins. thru blue cross I fear it wont suffice in the event that something happens. Enter question or problem number two:
We dont have credit cards just debit cards, its made being debt free easy . Not interested in getting them. So what kind of insur. should I be looking for? What are some reputable companies? If it matters we are in California.
Thanks
High Seas
Old March 28th, 2010, 07:06 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by high seas View Post
First off Im new here at prepping to go on first cruise with my wife. Here is my question:
While I too have health ins. thru blue cross I fear it wont suffice in the event that something happens. Enter question or problem number two:
We dont have credit cards just debit cards, its made being debt free easy . Not interested in getting them. So what kind of insur. should I be looking for? What are some reputable companies? If it matters we are in California.
Thanks
High Seas
If you booked with a Travel Agent ask them about travel insurance. If not, you can go to to insuremytrip.com and check out the policies there. Most insurance (like BC) won't cover you outside the US. The main thing you need to buy is evacuation insurance. It can cost $50,000 (or more) to be evacuated from the ship or a port!

Be aware that a hold will be put on your debit card before you even start to spend money on the ship so be sure you have plenty of $$ in your bank account.

Welcome and feel free to ask any more questions ,

"A truly happy person is one who can enjoy the scenery on a detour."

Carnival Inspiration 2002 Carnival Elation 2004
Grand Princess 2004 NCL Sun 2005
Sun Princess 2006 NCL Dream 2007
Caribbean Princess 2007 NCL Dawn 2008
Island Princess 2008 Island Princess 2009
Golden Princess 2009 Carnival Conquest 2010
Grand Princess 2010 Island Princess 2011
Grand Princess 2011 Carnival Magic 2012
Carnival Dream 2012 Island Princess 2013
Carnival Magic 2013 Carnival Legend 2014