Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Princess Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old July 10th, 2008, 02:06 PM
Passenger

Default Carribbean Princess excursions

We are traveling out of NYC on Aug 6 and are wondering if we should purchase an excursion or venture out on our own. Our teenage son would prefer to travel to Old San Juan, but doesn't want to be stuck on a tour bus all day. We Also want to head over to St. George and look around in Bermuda. Is is okay to just get on the ferry ourselves? We've traveled quite a bit by land, but have heard that some places in the Carribbean are not safe to venture into a block or two from port.
Old July 11th, 2008, 10:35 AM
Admiral

Old San Juan is a walking tour to do on your own at your own pace, there used to be shuttle service from the pier but its been awhile since i was there otherwise just grab a cab and wander around.
Bermuda is very safe, just grab the ferry and wander around, use the mass transit on Bermuda it is very efficient, safe and cheap
Old July 11th, 2008, 02:19 PM
Admiral

In Old San Juan, we took a cab to the top of the hill, and then walked...meadered actually, back down to the ship. Popped into stores, an art gallery, etc., and talked to people. Folks were very nice and it was a pleasant way to get a little bit of a feel for their lives.
Marty
Old July 12th, 2008, 02:37 PM
First Mate

Old San juan very easy to do on your own with a nice walk to the castle and they also have free trolleys that run continually arround the town. Get on and off anytime you want.In addition they now have tourist advisers all around to answer any and all questions.Good outlet stores and some good pricing from time to time to include Coach and Pollo and several others.Make sure you stop in Chamber of Commerce right on waterfront for free rum tasting with some of the best produced on the island.
Old July 14th, 2008, 01:23 AM
Admiral

Old San Juan is OK. Bermuda is a dream-spotless and completely safe and civilized.
Adventure Of The Seas-05
Navigator Of The Seas-04
Carnival Paradise-04
Carnival Pride-03
Sea Princess-02
Soverign Of The Seas-02
Carnival Imagination-01
Carnival Destiny-00
Carnival Fascination-97
Big Red Boat-93
Nordic Prince-82
Old July 14th, 2008, 10:22 PM
Cruise Maniac

I just went on the Caribbean Princess June 22nd, so here's some of my insight

new san juan is just hotels/resorts, not that interesting in my opinion but there are plenty of taxis to take you on a tour

old san juan is pretty cool, the streets/buildings are very nice and have their own architectural style and there's plenty of shopping/outlets/whatever else

in bermuda you should consider going to horseshoe beach, right when you get off the cruise ship you can buy roundtrip bus tokens for i believe $8 per person, its a really really nice beach

it's really safe and they have the tourism thing down flat, buses come and go every few minutes and you'll be driving by more hotels/resorts than slums

In St. Thomas make sure you go to Magens Bay, you won't be sorry, it's the nicest beach i've ever been to, the water is really really calm and unbelievably clear

also, if you're into snorkeling Grand Turk has the best reefs, other than that the rest of the island is crap

Carnival Destiny - 2000
Norwegian Dawn - April 2006
Crown Princess - June 2007
Norwegian Gem - March 2008
Caribbean Princess - July 2008
Old July 15th, 2008, 02:35 PM
Admiral

Hi Roger,
Can you tell me more about snorkeling in Grand Turk. Where did you go and how did you get there? I know the island is tiny, but trying to get detailed info for a friend.
Thanks,
Marty
Old July 15th, 2008, 07:21 PM
Cruise Maniac

i actually went on the excursion $70 per person, it was called mangrove clear kayaking, you went kayaking for an hour on this inland river/lake then they bussed you over to the beach front and provided you with snorkel gear and this dive guy took you out

it was a beginner kind of thing, but if you're more advanced or want to go by yourself you can just take a taxi directly from the ship, a lot of people go there, i don't remember the name of the place but it was basically just the whole coastline, the taxi driver will know, it wasn't governor's beach

you can tell her its near this tourist jail/prison thing, that's all i remember

Carnival Destiny - 2000
Norwegian Dawn - April 2006
Crown Princess - June 2007
Norwegian Gem - March 2008
Caribbean Princess - July 2008
Old July 17th, 2008, 01:10 PM
Passenger

Dont purchase anything being that we have lost 4 hours in P.R they will be ripping you off your best bet is to walk around on your own.THEY SCREWED US ALL.