Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Princess Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old July 21st, 2008, 03:45 PM
Beginner

Send a message via Yahoo to Large
Default Bad experience on Princess advice.

Has anyone had luck with refunds or compensation with Princess? We went to Alaska on Star Princess in June and had multiple problems. First our dining arrangement were wrong. Then we had a pluming leak that was not fixed for 4 days. One of the Jr pursers was rude when addresed about the situation. We also had our one year old son with us so a soaking wet floor for 4 days was a challenge. When they did finally get the leak fixed they left saw dust and screws on the floor that our son quickly found and tried to eat. There was also mold behind the sink. This is just a brief summary, but we were required to pay full price for our 1 year old and when we contacted costumer service {with pics} they offered us $250 a peice for 2 of us on a future cruise within one year. Maybe I am just bitter, but I did not think that was fair treatment. I expect more from a cruise line that is supposed to be top notch
Sponsored Links
Old July 21st, 2008, 05:05 PM
Admiral

You should not have paid full fare for the one YO. 100% for port fees, taxes, and fuel surcharge.

Who booked your cruise?

SS Norway (12 times) '85 - '97; Radiance OS 06/01; Island Princess 11/04, Grand Princess 11/04/05, Golden Princess 7/21/06, Golden Princess 2/24/07, Explorer of the Seas 12/23/07, Island Princess 11/15/08
Old July 22nd, 2008, 05:16 PM
Passenger

That had to be a terrible experience. I'm wondering y they didn't move u out o fthe room and y it took so long for them to fix the problem. I believe they could have given more than just $250 a piece towards another cruise...and within a year to take it. I'm surprised at Princess because I love to cruise with them. I never cruised on the Star and maybe I won't ever cruise on it after hearing what happened to u. On the ones I've been on, I've had no problems whatsoever. That's y I've been returning to Princess for my cruising vacations. Don't give up on your cruising and don't give up on Princess cruise line....
Old July 27th, 2008, 07:08 PM
Cruise Maniac

The previous poster wondered why the original poster was not moved to a different cabin.
It could well be that the ship was sailing full. I've seen the notice on the purser's desk at the beginning of each cruise saying the there are no cabins available because the ship is completely booked.
Maybe that's the case in this instance.
1/06 Island Princess - Hawaii
2/07 Sea Princess - Southern Caribbean
11/07 Golden Princess - Mexican Riviera
3/08 Diamond Princess - Hawaii
11/9/08 Tahitan Princess - Tahiti & French Polynesia

Booked cruises:
9/13/09 Star Princess - Alaska
3/14/10 Golden Princess - Hawaii
Old July 29th, 2008, 08:53 AM
Admiral

the best info that we can pass along to beginner cruisers is if there is a problem, tackle it Right Away! Dining arrangements - yes they get messed up quite often- the solution is to go to the Maitre D right away - if he can he will do his best to straighten things out. As for the plumbing leak- first you talk to your cabin steward that is his/her job - you keep on them, i mean only a couple of hours, if nothing happens then you go to the pursers desk- the key is to be calm, cool, and collected i know its hard but it really works, again keep at them until the problem is solved.
HINT - fill out those comment cards at the end of your cruise! the staff really does read them and they make a difference, again be calm, cool, and concise when filling them out.
Whoever booked your cruise make a big mistake in having your infant pay full price.
Old July 29th, 2008, 01:16 PM
Familiar Face

Send a message via AIM to Marguerite

We encountered a few problems when we sailed on The caribbean princess this past May. I did mention them while on board, in a very pleasant, nice way! They really were working on one of the problems but were unable to take care of it. When we returned home, I wrote a letter to princess stating our concerns, One week later, I received a letter from them giving us a $950 discount on our next cruise and a $200 shipboard credit. I was really amazed at this most generous offer. 2 yrs ago there was a problem with the ship returning to port on schedule which caused us to miss our flight. We had to pay an extra $1200 for our new flight. Our travel insurance would not cover it. Again, I wrote a nice letter to Princess and they reimbursed us the full amout for the flight. Nedless to say, Princess is the only line for us!
Marguerite
Old July 29th, 2008, 01:33 PM
Passenger

Send a message via Yahoo to DocM1

I have no doubt that the way you handled the matter , calmly and politely,had a lot to do with the end result. All too often the complainant is rude and overbearing, which doesn't help their cause one bit.

I do believe that so often "you get what you give"
Old July 29th, 2008, 01:39 PM
Familiar Face

That is so true, but often so hard to do!!! !! But, I was really so surprised when that letter came from Princess. Needless to say, we are already booked for next May & doing the exact same cruise! We live in Connecticut & we left from NY, no airport hassles, it was heavenly!! And, we were home by 11:30 am that last day! What could be better??
Marguerite
Old July 29th, 2008, 01:59 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marguerite
Our travel insurance would not cover it.
Why wouldn't the insurance cover it?

SS Norway (12 times) '85 - '97; Radiance OS 06/01; Island Princess 11/04, Grand Princess 11/04/05, Golden Princess 7/21/06, Golden Princess 2/24/07, Explorer of the Seas 12/23/07, Island Princess 11/15/08
Old July 29th, 2008, 02:03 PM
Familiar Face

The insurance said it was not trip delay, therefore wouldn't cover it. They kept blaming the airline. They had nothing to do with it, the ship had a problem, causing us to be 9 hours delayed coming into port. So, it was a trip delay but they would not give. You pay for insurance and they don't want to cover!
Old July 29th, 2008, 02:10 PM
Admiral

I went through a similar thing on our last cruise. We were a half day late getting into NJ because we turned around to airlift a passenger off the ship.

I had the trip delay coverage through AMEX and they said it is a ship problem and not an airline issue. AMEX covered it anyway.

Old July 29th, 2008, 02:19 PM
Familiar Face

They have you coming and going!!!! But, doesn't make us stop cruising!!
Old July 29th, 2008, 04:52 PM
Cruise Maniac

Notice the post count for the OP. I think you have been had.

Old July 30th, 2008, 06:54 AM
Familiar Face

What does that mean?
Old July 30th, 2008, 11:48 AM
Admiral

Marquerite what jimt is saying is that the OP - original post - is a beginner with only one post - this one to his/her name and they havent replyed to any of our comments so they may be just trying to stir up the pot.
Old July 30th, 2008, 12:27 PM
Passenger

Send a message via Yahoo to DocM1

Not very nice if that's the case. But, we serious cruisers do often learn something new anyway.
Old July 30th, 2008, 05:41 PM
Beginner

Default Bad experience appology

Sorry I am new to this website. I have PM some of you about ?s and like some of the suggestions. We enjoy cruising and hope to continue. I am sure this has been a limited situation, and we just felt anfairly treated by Princess.
Old July 30th, 2008, 06:10 PM
Cruise Maniac

Large,

Sorry about your experince... did you book through a travel agent? If so, it is best if you give them your letter, a copy of the letter you have received from Princess and have them add to it with their own letter and they will forward it to their BDM (business development Manager) for Princess indicating that you do not feel that the compensation is sufficient.
If the agent is not 'motivated' to help you... find the agency manager... or an agent that will help you in hopes of future business.

If you booked on your own, you can write another letter indicating that you are unhappy with their response.

Please keep us all posted on your progress. Make sure you keep thorough records of dates, names and times when you call Princess EVERY TIME... also time your calls.
Old July 31st, 2008, 09:57 PM
Beginner

Default Thanks for the tips

My father in-law booked our cruise, with thiers through RCI I believe. I will contact them and check into them submiting the letter and inquire as to why we paid 100% for our infant son as a 3rd in our room. Thanks again.