Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Princess Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old August 8th, 2008, 04:41 PM
Passenger

Default Non-Formal Night Dinning

I am now in the process of getting the clothes ready I will pack for our upcoming Alaskan Cruise (on the Sapphire). Since there is such a stink (no pun intended) about extra luggage and the weight of it I am being very careful to only pack what I will wear. Since we are doing the land/cruise and will be gone for 13 days this makes it even more important to pack wisely.

My question is are some of the folks wearing jeans to the non-formal night of dining? We are signed up for the "any-time" dining experience and it would save a bunch of room if I did not have to pack those additional clothes. I have my formal night things out - but would like to put on a nice top with my jeans and enjoy the meal.

Anyone recently been on the Alaskan cruise with Princess and noticed the dress for dinner? If so your advise will be greatly appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Old August 8th, 2008, 04:49 PM
Admiral

Passenger attire should be in keeping with what would be worn to a nice restaurant at home. Inappropriate dinner dress such as pool or beach attire, shorts, ball caps and casual jeans (with fraying and/or holes), is not permitted in the dining rooms. Shoes must be worn.

Black Jeans will let you blend in better.

SS Norway (12 times) '85 - '97; Radiance OS 06/01; Island Princess 11/04, Grand Princess 11/04/05, Golden Princess 7/21/06, Golden Princess 2/24/07, Explorer of the Seas 12/23/07, Island Princess 11/15/08
Old August 8th, 2008, 05:07 PM
Beginner

Default dress

We sailed through Alaska last year on the Diamond and didn't notice anything different to what we had seen on previous cruises regarding dress. I can't say I saw any jeans in the dining room but I must admit I don't look too hard! I would just check the Princess dress code in their docs and take it from there. You will love Alaska, I can't wait to go back!
Old August 8th, 2008, 05:24 PM
Admiral

The first paragraph is from the Princess FAQs.

SS Norway (12 times) '85 - '97; Radiance OS 06/01; Island Princess 11/04, Grand Princess 11/04/05, Golden Princess 7/21/06, Golden Princess 2/24/07, Explorer of the Seas 12/23/07, Island Princess 11/15/08
Old August 8th, 2008, 05:54 PM
Captain

I think that means tht they don't want you to wear your 9 year old Wranglers with holes in the knees, (that you wear while painting & doing yard work) but if you a nice , dark rinse, pair of 7 for all mankind- you're good!
Grandeur of the Seas, 8/99
Mercury, 11/98
Century, 10/97
Fascination, 10/96
Old August 8th, 2008, 06:02 PM
Admiral

That's what it sez.

Old August 17th, 2008, 04:53 AM
Cruise Maniac

Take a look at my posting about the dress code on the Caribbean Princess.
Jim..
Old August 17th, 2008, 06:19 AM
First Mate

Although I didn't see any jeans with hole on out June Alaskan cruise there were plenty of jeans being worn on casual nights. I think even more so then in the Caribbean since it's much warmer.
Old August 17th, 2008, 09:02 AM
Passenger

We just got off the Caribbean Princess and saw very few people in jeans at dining restaurants. They really do try hard to make the experience nice and the set up is a nice restaurant and the wait staff is dressed nicely. Most all the ladies were dressed in dress slacks or sundress, or skirt. Men in polo type shirts and no jeans. You can wear the same outfit several times, especially if you change up the top. We dressed for dinner, then came back to our rooms and changed for the evening. I would definitely feel out of place wearing jeans for dinner.
Old August 18th, 2008, 02:35 AM
First Mate

A pair of slacks and polo type shirts will be just fine. No jeans with torn out knees or ripped out back pockets.
Check the FAQ's on the web-site.
Old August 18th, 2008, 11:59 AM
Passenger

Send a message via Yahoo to DocM1

The atmosphere in the dining rooms is formal - regardless of whether the dress code is listed as such. I surely wouldn't wear Jeans to a restarant of this type on shore - why spoil the mood.

To me, Jeans are as dressed down as we can go (even without holes or frayed ends). However, as one poster said, if you feel a need to wear jeans, then a nice fresh black pair could work.