Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Princess Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old August 19th, 2008, 10:40 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default Caribbean Princess out of NY in June

I'm thinking about taking the Caribbean Princess cruise from NY in June (9 days). My wife and I have sailed with Princess a number of times to the Caribbean (7 days) but always out of Ft. Lauderdale or San Juan and would like to try some different ports. I wasn't sure about the 4 at sea days since I'm used to 2, but in the end, I probably won't mind because I love relaxing on the ship on the balcony.

For those that have done this one, would you recommend this one, or would you prefer another one out of SJ or FLL?

I live in NH and am thinking it might just be cheaper to drive to the port and park. Has anyone done this? Is the port easy to get to with ample long term parking?

Can anyone recommend a hotel to stay at pre-cruise?

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Old August 20th, 2008, 09:49 AM
Cruise Maniac

Did this in June. I did a review that you can check out in the review section.

It did not turn out to be cheaper, but sailing out of NY harbor was a great experience. Between the hotel, NY expenses, the higher cost of the cruise, we could have flown to FL and done it cheaper. I am glad we did it the experience was so different and we had a blast.

I took the Princess bus up from MD. It goes from DC up the coast. Not sure if they have one coming from you way. And then Amtrak on the way home.

We stayed at the Affinia Manhattan after the cruise. It is across the street from Penn station. Very nice older hotel.
1 NCL
1 American Hawaii
1 Celebrity
Holland America 1/15/11
Old August 21st, 2008, 12:54 PM
Cruise Maniac

Thanks for the info. I'll have to check with Princess to see if they have a bus. That would be perfect. If not, I can always look into a train if I don't want to drive. Based on your review it sounds like you had a great time. It probably will be more costly, but I think it will be fun to sail out of NY.
Old August 21st, 2008, 01:13 PM
Cruise Maniac

Yes it was a blast! The NE Motorcoach was cheap too- it was $79 RT from baltimore. My only problem was I only needed one way. If you wound up needing a local car service for the port to the city, let me know. You had a great driver that someone else on the board recommended. Juat FYI, I heard 3 HORROR stories from different people on the ship about their cabbie could not find the Red Hook teminal.
1 NCL
1 American Hawaii
1 Celebrity
Holland America 1/15/11
Old August 25th, 2008, 12:13 PM
Familiar Face

Send a message via AIM to Marguerite

We did this cruise this past May. We live in Connecticut. leaving from NY was wonderful! No airport hassles. And, that last day, we were in our house by 11:30 am!!! We booked the same cruise for next year. We love the days at sea, so having 4 of them was a plus for us!
Marguerite
Old August 25th, 2008, 07:48 PM
Passenger

Great cruise my wife and I have done the trip 3 times in august always the last trip to carribean.We have already booked for next year with a balcony I recommend the caribe deck they have the biggest balconies and starboard side, because when you dock you will be facing the land side.I own an excecutive car service and can get you to the pier for a reasonable price let me know when you are ready.I have friends who have taken the cruise in june there only complaint was that the water was rough leaving NY and when they were coming back and got close to NY same thing.The ship is going into dry dock in december so it shoulb be like new when you get on.