Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Princess Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old August 23rd, 2008, 12:38 PM
Beginner

Send a message via MSN to Homer164
Default Grand Princess Nov 10, 2008 Egypt & Aegean

We are going on our first cruise ever and are very excited. We have been down to all inclusive resorts many times but decided it's time to see the pyramids while we are still reasonably young and fit.

We have many questions and would like to hear from anyone else who will be joining us on this trip or who have already done it.

Should we bring $US or just EUROS? I don't think Egypt or Turkey are in the ECU.

What happens with our pasports when we disembark in these exoctic countries? Do we carry them with us or just copies?

I plan on taking my laptop computer. Will there be internet in the cabins or do I need to go to the internet cafe?

Thanx for any help.

Read and post cruise reviews
Sponsored Links
Old August 23rd, 2008, 01:17 PM
Admiral

We were booked on this cruise, but canceled due to my "gut" feeling of rising tensions in that area of the world.

Re- booked a Panama Canal cruise instead.

It looked like a real historic cruise with many good ports. I wanted to catch a ride on a camel.

Let us know who it works out.

SS Norway (12 times) '85 - '97; Radiance OS 06/01; Island Princess 11/04, Grand Princess 11/04/05, Golden Princess 7/21/06, Golden Princess 2/24/07, Explorer of the Seas 12/23/07, Island Princess 11/15/08
Old August 23rd, 2008, 03:21 PM
Beginner

I don't supose that the tension in the Middle East will ever be over.

Number One on my Bucket List has always been to see the Pyramids so now is as good a time as any.

I hope I have nothing but good things to report on my return, even a little excitement would add to the adventure, just don't want any danger of course.
Old August 24th, 2008, 02:47 AM
First Mate

We have always wanted to take that cruise. Just not sure about the Middle East.

I am sure you will have a great trip, take lots of pictures.
Old August 24th, 2008, 06:11 PM
Passenger

You will have a great time in Egypt. I was there for two weeks and had a great time, with places you will never see anywhere else in the world. Egypt's main income comes from tourism i felt very safe and there was a lot of police and security in all the tourist areas. Go and enjoy yourself, people go there week in and week out and have a great time.
I have felt more uneasy in parts of New york than I did in Egypt.
Old August 30th, 2008, 09:33 AM
Beginner

Well we are all booked and paid for. Going to spend the first two nights in Rome to se the sites before the cruise. Really looking forward to that. Booked a room online in a 3 star hotel. Hope we choose a good spot, hard to tell just researching online.
Old October 6th, 2008, 09:20 AM
Beginner

Just 32 more days till we are off to Rome, but who's counting? Planning the trip and excursions seems to be half the fun.
Still looking for anyone who might be sharing the ship, especially fellow Canadians.
Since we will be in Turkey and Egypt and I don't beleive they are part of the ECU, will they accept Euros or should I be taking $US?
Old October 7th, 2008, 02:18 AM
First Mate

That sounds like a great cruise. We just returned from the Greek Isles, in Aug. but we would like to see Egypt some day.

Have great time and stay safe, and tell us all about your trip when you return.
Old October 14th, 2008, 09:29 AM
Beginner

We have many questions and would like to hear from anyone else who will be joining us on this trip or who have already done it.

Should we bring $US or just EUROS? I don't think Egypt or Turkey are in the ECU.

What happens with our pasports when we disembark in these exoctic countries? Do we carry them with us or just copies?

I plan on taking my laptop computer. Will there be internet in the cabins or do I need to go to the internet cafe?

Thanx for any help.
Old October 26th, 2008, 08:52 PM
Beginner

We just returned from this cruise in October and the ports are fantastic. Epheses was our favorite and wished we had more time. We booked a tour with a local co (www.ekol.com) and would HIGHLY recommend this. As far as money, we always just use our bank ATM at a local bank. Best exchange rate. When you arrive in Sorrento, there are many ATM's just at the top of the hill in the area of the square. But most all the ports and vendors accepted US dollars.
This was our dream trip as well in order to see the Pyramids. Unfortunately, we had a death in the family and had to fly home from Egypt. We had booked the overland excursion, so took the bus to Cairo, got to see the light show at the Pyramids and stayed at the hotel on the Nile. The reason I am mentioning this is to speak to the comment about the degree of safety in Egypt. The tour people were great and went out of their way to help get us to the airport, make arrangements for our special Visas, and complete all necessary departure information. The Egyptian goverment relies heavily on tourism and do everything possible to make tourists feel safe. We will hopefully return someday so we can touch the pyramids. Your passports will be taken from you by the cruise folks when you check in and they will keep them till after Egypt. The reason for this is that the Egyptian officials check all passports. The cruise ship will then have a day when all passports are returned. (We always copy our passports and carry copies in our suitcases as well as on our person.) You will receive a Visa from the cruise ship. There is no additional fee and they will pass them out as you depart the ship and collect them when you get back on the boat. This is for Turkey and Egypt.
There is no internet available in the cabins, but I did passengers using their personal laptops in the area just outside the Internet Cafe. You can buy packages but it is expensive.
Wishing you a wonderful trip!