Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Princess Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old August 30th, 2008, 09:45 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip
Default Was your first cruise Princess?

It wasn't for me, although, when I walked on the Sea Princess, [my 1st, ]I was a happy camper! I loved the layout of this ship, and so enjoyed this cruise, How about you?

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator

Sponsored Links
Old August 31st, 2008, 02:11 PM
First Mate

It wasn't for us, but after we took a Alaska cruise on the Regal, we were hooked on Princess.
Old August 31st, 2008, 03:24 PM
First Mate

First cruise called for a flight to Hong Kong, which was exhausting. But when we laid eyes on the Sky Princess she was magnificent for we had never been on anything so humongous. But this was followed by a cruise on the Regal and then the Grand and on to the Diamond and Crown and when we look back on the Sky we have to laugh for we had no idea just how big a ship could actually be.
Old August 31st, 2008, 05:32 PM
Passenger

My first cruise was on the Princess Regal out of San Francisco to Alaska. I loved that cruise. My second cruise was on the RCCL new ship of Jewel of the Seas WOW what a bigger ship and newer and so much more stuff offered. However, my next 3 cruises were on Princess Sapphire. What a beautiful ship. I loved sitting at the back of the ship by the pool. I am glad my first cruise was on Princess. I think I will forever be a Princess girl.
Old August 31st, 2008, 05:52 PM
Admiral

On the SS Norway back in 1985 . St. Thomas/St. John, St. Martin, San Juan, and Pleasure Island Bahamas.

At the time the Norway was THE cruise ship to go on; plus they were cheaper than other lines.

After 12 cruises on the SS Norway, we tried RCI. Radiance of the Seas in 06.01. Cruise from Ensenada to Vancouver/Seattle.

Then we did an HI cruse out of Los Angeles on the Island Princess in 11.04. Going back to the IP in 11.08 for a Panama Canal cruise.

SS Norway (12 times) '85 - '97; Radiance OS 06/01; Island Princess 11/04, Grand Princess 11/04/05, Golden Princess 7/21/06, Golden Princess 2/24/07, Explorer of the Seas 12/23/07, Island Princess 11/15/08
Old September 1st, 2008, 09:33 AM
Passenger

Ah, first Princess was the Royal back in 1994. It was smaller and so elegant. Large luxurious rooms. Very classy. Princess Diana was the godmother of the ship. How appropriate. It was such a different time from the ships of today that are larger and larger each time -- though we are enjoying them so much too. Can't get enough of cruising.
1995 Sun Princess
1998 Grand Princess
2001 Sea Princess
2002 Summit
2004 Mariner of the Seas
2005 Caribbean Princess
2005 Coral Princess
2006 Diamond Princess
2007 Crown Princess
2007 Grandeur of the Seas
2008 Emerald Princess
2008 Explorer of the Seas
Looking Forward to:
2009 Grand Princess
2010 Oasis of the Seas
2010 Oasis of the Seas
Old September 2nd, 2008, 09:36 AM
Familiar Face

My first cruise was on Sitmar which Princess later bought. It was a fabulous line with an Italian crew. We've never had food as good as Sitmar had. Of course, they were smaller ships with many fewer passengers to serve.
Old September 2nd, 2008, 06:32 PM
Captain

No but my next one is!
Grandeur of the Seas, 8/99
Mercury, 11/98
Century, 10/97
Fascination, 10/96
Old September 3rd, 2008, 02:25 PM
First Mate

Quote:
Originally Posted by huebie
My first cruise was on Sitmar which Princess later bought. It was a fabulous line with an Italian crew. We've never had food as good as Sitmar had. Of course, they were smaller ships with many fewer passengers to serve.
I can recall the old Fairsky with that one swimming pool off the rear deck. I can still recall the elaborate dinners & midnight buffets. I wonder why they did away with the diner chimes It would be a sort of novelty in todays environment.
Old September 3rd, 2008, 08:26 PM
First Mate

We sailed the Carib Princess 2 years ago - and we're on the Crown this October for Halloween. I love the glamour of the Princess ships and cant wait to see the Crown in person!!!!
CARNIVAL BREEZE 1-13-2013
Old September 3rd, 2008, 10:40 PM
Passenger

Send a message via AIM to Pattizoo

Our first "real" cruise was on the Pacific Princess last year. 34 wonderful days from Sydney to Honolulu. It was the most awesome trip of my life! We had done several 4 day trips from Los Angeles to Ensenada and back, but nothing like our cruise through the South Pacific! The Pacific Princess is one of their smaller ships- only 670 passengers. We really like the smaller ship.
We are really hoping to do a world cruise on either the Pacific Princess or one of her smaller sister ships. Just saving away- it may take a while!!
Old September 4th, 2008, 09:57 AM
Passenger

My first cruise was on the SS Norway in 1981. Didn't find Princess until several years later when I sailed on the Island Princess. That is a great ship. I now divide my cruises between Princess and RCI. Love both of them for different reasons.
Old September 4th, 2008, 11:21 AM
Administrator
Admiral

Princess wasn't my first cruise. My first cruise was on Celebrity Mercury. My first Princess cruise was my fourth or fifth on the Dawn Princess. I loved the layout of that ship so much that we booked the Ocean Princess just before she was transferred to P&O.

Take care,
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Old September 4th, 2008, 11:48 AM
Passenger

Send a message via Yahoo to DocM1

I was happy to see that someone had sailed with Sitmar (later became Princess) Our first cruise was on the Fairwind ( 1972 I believe) and then the Fairsea - they were very small ships compared to what we have today but delightful.
Old September 5th, 2008, 09:22 AM
Passenger

Did my first cruise last year on the sea princess & loved every minute. The downside is nothing else will do now! I have just been on RCCL independence but wasn't a patch on Princess service. Now busily looking to book the next one but I'm reluctant to try any other line so hope to make it Princess.
Old September 5th, 2008, 10:36 AM
Passenger

Nope our first was not Princess, but our 3rd was!! She was the Grand Princess, loved the ship & everything about her, BUT it was our first Balcony & we were hooked!
Carnival x 2
Old September 5th, 2008, 09:34 PM
Cruise Maniac

Our fifth cruise was two years ago Sept 29th in the Diamond Princess, it was awsome! We cruised from LA to the Mexican Riviera

Sixth cruise was this past January our first 10 day out of Miami down to Aruba, Bonaire, Grenada, Dominca, St Thomas and Princess Cay on the Emerald Princess

Both were my favorite ships, and my favorite itinerarys!!!
Imagination 2004
Diamond Princess 2006
Emerald Princess 2008
Imagination 2009!
Old September 6th, 2008, 01:32 AM
Passenger

Default Sitmar was my first cruise line

Sitmar was my first cruise line, back in 1966 on the Castel Felice, 42 days - Southampton to Sydney. Good though, Princess later took over Sitmar and credited my Sitmar cruise towards Captain Circle Programme.

I pretty much stay with Princess now, that complimentary laundry is great.

Princess Elite Cruiser
195 cruise days with Sitmar, P&O and Princess
All over the world !
Old September 6th, 2008, 11:52 PM
Familiar Face

We just started cruising in 05 for our 10th anniversary. We have sailed to Alaska twice on the Diamond once to the inside passage and the second time the voyage of the glaciers. We did the Sapphire to the Mexican Riviera and once on the Crown to the So. Caribbean.

I noticed a good number of folks on these boards go on different lines but I tend to stick with things until they no longer work. I guess I'm not the adventurous type : )

I absolutely love Princess - I am however a little hesitant about our next cruise which is on the Sea Princess. I don't like change. lol

Thanks to all of you for your input along the way. It really is appreciated by all of us who are new to cruising.

Kathy~

Read and post cruise reviews
Old September 15th, 2008, 05:16 PM
Familiar Face

Default SITMAR WAS A GREAT FIRST CHOICE TO CRUISE!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocM1
I was happy to see that someone had sailed with Sitmar (later became Princess) Our first cruise was on the Fairwind ( 1972 I believe) and then the Fairsea - they were very small ships compared to what we have today but delightful.
Our first cruise was on the Fairwind to the Caribbean in November of 1974 and it was amazing! Even though we were attending a convention onboard, it didn't interfere with having a fabulous time--such elegance and such incredible food. Our two Italian waiters in the dining room could not have been MORE charming!!

Room service on cruise ships has improved a lot since then. About the only thing we could get served in our stateroom on that cruise, was an American cheese sandwich on white bread! We didn't have a balcony (none were offered back then), our inside stateroom was very small, but we loved the whole week. The staff was so accomodating and continental!
2003 Mississippi Queen
2004 HAL Westerdam
2005 Norwegian Jewel
2007 Norwegian Sun
2009 HAL Westerdam
2010 RCI Vision Of The Seas
2011 HAL Nieuw Amsterdam
2014 Norwegian Jewel
Old September 17th, 2008, 08:47 PM
First Mate

Our first cruise was on the old dawn princess in 1991. Since then we have tried NCL, and RCCl, but the other 13 were on Princess, we are looking forward to our 15 cruise on the Emerald Princess in Jan 2009
Grant
Old September 19th, 2008, 06:02 PM
First Mate

Our first cruise was on HAL Statendam (which we love), but I'm anxiously awaiting 2010 to try Princess.

Hopefully, Princess is similar to HAL.

Pat

RCL Radiance
CCL Splendor
HAL Zaandam
CCL Elation
CCL Spirit
HAL Statendam 2x
HAL Ryndam 2x
Old September 29th, 2008, 09:35 AM
Passenger

YES!!

We couldn't have been happier with our cruise! Every detail was perfect, and beyond perfect!

I'm a vegan, and used to disappointment with restaurant meals, etc., but the dining staff on the Golden Princess truly spoiled, indulged, and delighted me!!

Our cabin was excellent, our room steward was incredible, and even the coffee was great! (coffee card, espressos and brewed coffee)
Old October 2nd, 2008, 08:33 AM
Cruise Maniac

Our third cruise was on the old Crown Princess. We've not had a bad cruise since.
Old October 2nd, 2008, 09:21 AM
Beginner

Yes, it was. Caribbean princess in November, 2005. The year of the 23 huricanes. We got nailed by gamma, and the winds were so bad they had to close the pools. EVERYONE got seasick.
Old October 2nd, 2008, 12:06 PM
Admiral

Default Question for Trip

Hi Trip, when you say Sea Princess, which incarnation of Sea Princess was that, as although our first cruise was with P&O, it was on board MV Victoria (ex-Sea Princess December 1996) and we fell in love with her.

At that time we didn't have access to the Princess brand in the UK, but when we did manage to try the product it was on Sea Princess, which spent a couple of years as Adonia under the P&O flag, and again we loved the ship, and were amazed at how much the service improved when she returned to Princess. We've been addicted to the Princess product ever since, having also tried (and loved) Golden & Grand in the last couple of years.

Great ships, great food, great service

Alan & Katrina

History :
Golden, Grand(2), Caribbean, Sea(4+1 aborted)
Adonia(4+2), Arcadia, Artemis(2), Aurora(5), Azura(2), Oceana(3), Oriana(11), Ventura(2), Victoria(5)
QM2(2), QE2(9), QV(5), QE, Caronia(2), Minerva II, Fred.Olsen(8), NCL Jade, =X= Eclipse, HAL Ryndam, Aza.Journey
Old October 2nd, 2008, 03:57 PM
Passenger

Yes on the Sea Princess to the Carribbean 8) last new year for our 25th. Was overawed as soon as I stepped on board!! Have been on the RCI Independence (WOW!!) to Cork and a Mini cruise on NCL. Would definateley do Princess again and RCI but not NCL.
Old October 18th, 2008, 12:12 PM
Beginner

Yes, our first cruise was on Princess and we are getting ready for our 4th one this December - a 10 day on the Emerald!

We just love Princess and so do our three teenagers. We all just love walking around on those beautiful ships - it makes you feel so fancy to be part of a Princess cruise. We always have traditional late dining and all 5 of us look forward to the many course meals. We also enjoy the Baked Alaska parade on the last night which is fun for the servers too.

The freshwater pools are great! We have always had the best service and have had several exceptional waiters and room servers that have remembered us on later cruises.

Do you ever notice when you are in port with other cruiselines that the Princess ships are just the most beautiful ones out there? As we are walking back to the ship, we are always proud and happy that we are getting on the nicest ship in port.

We have looked at other cruises because of convenience but have never booked another besides Princess.
Old October 19th, 2008, 02:17 PM
Passenger

Our first cruise was on Holland's Zuiderdam, but the second and third were on the Caribbean Princess. Since then, we've sailed on a couple of others, but we still prefer Princess.

Bob
Old October 20th, 2008, 08:50 PM
Admiral

Our first cruise was on the Fair Sea then Sitmar back in 1973. It was Ok but I determined I was not a cruise person. Our next cruise was not until 2001 , the Regal princess in Alaska what a difference twenty plus years makes. Mike