Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Princess Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old September 2nd, 2008, 04:47 PM
Passenger

Default Claustrophobia and Obstructed View

I am claustrophobic and I have a cabin on Crown Princess which is obstructed view. I believe it is room F228. Will I have problems breathing in this room? I have a girlfriend who booked an inside cabin once and she is claustrophobic and she had to sleep with the door open for the whole cruise!!
Sponsored Links
Old September 2nd, 2008, 05:44 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip

Sorry, but I have to ask why you booked obstructed, if you have this issue? I have had obstructed on Princess, but not on this ship..For me it was like looking out of a cave and it had the cannister type lifeboat, and we had almost no light...

Your gf was lucky she had no problems leaving the cabin door open all night..It scares me to think of what could have happened...:(

If I were you, I would look into changing cabins...better safe than sorry...

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator

Old September 3rd, 2008, 10:19 AM
Passenger

I have never been on a cruise before and when I booked, the category is outside cabin with "possible" obstructed view. Of course, I should have realized that this pretty much means obstruted. Plus, I've heard other people say that it isnt so bad and that there is plenty of light that comes into the room.
My girlfriend went with her husband, so I guess she felt safe enough. She did say after about two days she was able to close the door! .
Old September 3rd, 2008, 10:27 AM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip

when you walk onboard, I hopeyou find you won the window lottery, and, you have a full view.....let us know, and have a ball, I know you will!

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator

Old September 4th, 2008, 03:02 AM
Familiar Face

We just cruised Alaska. Had an obsrtucted outside. In reality we were lucky. We had a beautiful view. The obstruction was we could not see down. You may want to upgrade to ensure yourself of a room with a view. Happy Sailing.
Old September 4th, 2008, 04:14 AM
Passenger

Default Lottery

Yes obstructed view cabin is a lottery, you can always get some light in in though which is better than inside, some obstructed view cabins do have a view.! When at tendering ports make sure you pull the curtains in the obstructed view cabin early in the morning, the seaman in the tender dropping down outside your cabin will be looking in.

We often book an obstructed view cabin these days, I get claustraphobic in an inside, have done a couple of cruises in inside, a few in obstructed view and a few in ocean view, NEVER a balcony cabin, too pricey for me.

Have a go at the obstructed view cabins..the upgrade fairy might even visit you.!

Princess Elite Cruiser
195 cruise days with Sitmar, P&O and Princess
All over the world !
Old September 5th, 2008, 03:38 AM
First Mate

You could get lucky and have a nice view.
I hope you have a great time. Try a balcony next time.
Old September 5th, 2008, 02:27 PM
Admiral

the easiest thing for you to do is go to the web site, pull up the deck plans, find your cabin catagory. Since you booked a guarantee cabin you can change that to an assigned cabin in the same cabin class, and since you will be looking at the deck plans you will know exactly where your cabin is located.
Old September 8th, 2008, 05:20 PM
Passenger

Thanks, everyone. I looked on a map and I can see where my room is. I'm most concerned with how much light will be in the room. If the life boat is directly in front of the window, I cant see how there can be much light. But as someone previously said, they had light, but were not able to look down. I think I would be ok with that. I just dont want to feel as though I am in a cave, as the other writer said. More opinions on this are welcome! Thanks!
Old September 10th, 2008, 09:49 AM
Passenger

If you are so worried about being clostrophobic and being in a cave, why didn't you just book a balcony? Don't count on that upgrade fairy, I've taken 4 Princess cruises in the last year and never once got an upgrade.
Don't be *****ing about what YOU booked. If you went with a guarantee it will cost you to be able to pick your own cabin, even if it is in the same category.
Old September 11th, 2008, 01:32 AM
Captain

Send a message via Yahoo to Dannyboy
Default Re: Claustrophobia and Obstructed View

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edwardse
I am claustrophobic and I have a cabin on Crown Princess which is obstructed view. I believe it is room F228. Will I have problems breathing in this room? I have a girlfriend who booked an inside cabin once and she is claustrophobic and she had to sleep with the door open for the whole cruise!!
From a practical and logical point, you would be foolish to compromise your health, as you know, Claustrophobia is typically thought to have two key symptoms: fear of restriction and fear of suffocation. A typical claustrophobic will fear restriction in at least one, if not several, of the following areas: small rooms and locked rooms.
If you run into rough seas, you could go into a panic attact.

You apparently have been isolated before and your breathing was a issue.
I highly suggest you obtain a veranda, you can leave the door open and have fresh air.

If you put yourself in a enviorment that can induce fear, what could happen to you, when confined to an area, claustrophobics begin to fear suffocation, believing that there may be a lack of air in the area to which they are confined. Any combination of the symptoms can lead to severe panic attacks. However, most claustrophobics do everything in their power to avoid these situations.

I suggest you read your health insurance policy with your existing medical provider, you will need contact phone numbers.

A primary travel policy will be advisable, which has evacuation coverage.

Good luck
Old September 15th, 2008, 01:09 PM
Passenger

To athos 129: There were other factors that were considered as to my decision to try the obstructed view. I felt as though as long as I get some kind of sunlight in the room, I should be ok. I would not worry if it were a full view, even though it is a closed window. I guess Phobia comes in different degrees. I think I am just worrying now because the time is drawing near!

Dannyboy: You make a really good point about seas being rough. I suppose if that happens, I will have to find an open area on board. This will be my first cruise, so I assume I will learn about many things that I did not think of. Thank you for being a bit kinder in your response than the one before you, as well.

I guess I will just have to wait and see how I feel about it when I get there. I just thought someone else who is claustrophobic could give me past experiences as to how they faired with the obstructed view.

I will keep an open mind, try not to panick, and have great time, no matter what!! I will let you all know how it goes.
Old October 6th, 2008, 02:58 AM
Passenger

I don't know if this is just a 'put-on' to generate replies, but I find it very hard to believe that someone with diagnosed or imagined claustophobia would chose such a cabin. But look at the positive side; at least you will be close to a lifeboat when the ship goes down.

That is, unless you suffer from hydrophobia as well of course.

Have a trip,
Nevl
Old October 6th, 2008, 11:43 AM
Cruise Maniac

Nevl,

Are you claustrophobic? If so, have you ever had an obstructed view room?
Old October 28th, 2011, 09:22 PM
Cruise Maniac

The obstructed view was just fine!! I had a good view, could see out, but not down. All those people who said "why would you choose a room like this if you are claustrophobic" were a little judgemental. I will try a balcony next and probably will never go back to the obstructed, but it was not a bad experience at all!
Old October 29th, 2011, 06:48 AM
Admiral

Exclamation Obstructed view

Our experience with obstructed view rooms is that the obstruction rarely comes right up to the window and covers it completely. If it is a lifeboat there is some shape to the boat and some space between it and the window that allows light in. If it is a stairway or partition, there would normally be enough open deck to walk on so again some light would get in.

A trick many people use in inside cabins is to leave the TV tuned to the bow camera channel and pretend it is a window! I don't know if that would work for you or not. During the day, you would get the effect of sunlight.

Only you know how serious your claustrophobia is. The honest fact is that many hotel rooms fit what would be considered an "obstructed" view on a ship. If looking out your hotel window at the wall next door does not bother you, perhaps you would be OK. I think there is also a fairly large psychological effect from simply knowing you can't get off the ship!

Have a GREAT cruise!

Check out our reviews and pics of our 41 cruises at
http://www.bully4.us/cruising.html