Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Princess Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old September 4th, 2008, 01:25 AM
Familiar Face

Default Upgrade Question

When you got your upgrade did you book with Princess directly or did you use an agent or online site? I am asking this because in the past I have had an upgrade from the Princess direct booking and another time with an travel agent. I am curious which offers a better chance for the upgrade.
Old September 4th, 2008, 03:19 AM
Passenger

Default I think booking direct might be worth a try

We have always booked our cruises with an agent either local or on line and have NEVER in 10 cruises (many of which were 3 or 4 week cruises)got an upgrade.

You hear of the upgrade fairy appearing but never to us.

Maybe I should try next time booking direct with Princess, I might score.

Does anyone else on here have any suggestions?

Princess Elite Cruiser
195 cruise days with Sitmar, P&O and Princess
All over the world !
Old September 4th, 2008, 11:32 AM
Administrator
Admiral

Default Re: Upgrade Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom8595
When you got your upgrade did you book with Princess directly or did you use an agent or online site? I am asking this because in the past I have had an upgrade from the Princess direct booking and another time with an travel agent. I am curious which offers a better chance for the upgrade.
Tom,

The upgrade secret is as elusive as Bigfoot. Many people will tell you they know the secret but no one really does. The cruise lines use inventory management programs to control upgrades. The closer to sailing these programs kick in and move people and assign categories so mid-level inventory becomes available for sale.

Does this mean if you book a guarantee you will get an "upgrade". Heck no. Does this mean if you book with a "special" agency or the cruise line you have a better chance of an upgrade? Heck no. Clients who receive upgrades often credit the agent when the agent has nothing to do with it. Don't believe any agent who tells you they always get upgrades. They are lying or booking customers in an inside, outside or balcony guarantee and telling customers that anything other than the lowest category is an upgrade. If you book a balcony guarantee you have to be assigned a balcony cabin.

If you are a repeat customer will your chances increase? Maybe but it isn't likely.

No matter what your chances of going from an inside to an outside: outside to balcony: or balcony to a suite are extremely low. Your greatest chance of an upgrade is within the same category. I.E. inside to inside.

You will hear of people who book inside cabins and are upgraded to balconies or the Penthouse Suite but while it does happen it is very rare.

Take care,
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Old September 4th, 2008, 06:11 PM
Beginner

I don't claim to know any secrets or even know which is better overall. dealing directly with Princess vs a TA or online booking. What I do know, is, in using an online agency I saved over $1500 (VS Princess) in booking three guaranteed balconies and one specific PS for our family for a 7-day Mexican Riviera cruise in December. Within a week all three guaranteed balconies were upgraded from BE to BB. I'm not sure how significant that is, but the brochures seemed to price the BB's more than the BE's.
Old September 5th, 2008, 02:34 AM
First Mate

We always book thru our TA, but we HAVE NEVER gotten an upgrade.
That would be nice.
Old September 5th, 2008, 01:18 PM
Admiral

aahh the ever so elusive Upgrade Fairy! lol
Old September 5th, 2008, 09:25 PM
Captain

Default Re: Upgrade Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike M
Quote:
Tom,

The upgrade secret is as elusive as Bigfoot. Many people will tell you they know the secret but no one really does. The cruise lines use inventory management programs to control upgrades. The closer to sailing these programs kick in and move people and assign categories so mid-level inventory becomes available for sale.

Does this mean if you book a guarantee you will get an "upgrade". Heck no. Does this mean if you book with a "special" agency or the cruise line you have a better chance of an upgrade? Heck no. Clients who receive upgrades often credit the agent when the agent has nothing to do with it. Don't believe any agent who tells you they always get upgrades. They are lying or booking customers in an inside, outside or balcony guarantee and telling customers that anything other than the lowest category is an upgrade. If you book a balcony guarantee you have to be assigned a balcony cabin.

If you are a repeat customer will your chances increase? Maybe but it isn't likely.

No matter what your chances of going from an inside to an outside: outside to balcony: or balcony to a suite are extremely low. Your greatest chance of an upgrade is within the same category. I.E. inside to inside.

You will hear of people who book inside cabins and are upgraded to balconies or the Penthouse Suite but while it does happen it is very rare.

Take care,
Mike
Hi Mike: Very good explanation of exactly how the Princess upgrade system works. The operative word in what you said is that there would seem to be neither rhyme nor reason and to the best of my knowledge it is all done in a random fashion by a computer. One of the many great things about the way Princess does it though is that there is no charge for the upgrade. You are 100% correct about some TA's who love to take credit for an upgrade when they actually had nothing to do with it.

On our first Princess cruise we were upgraded from an outside to a balcony. We have seen other upgrades but on many cruises have also seen no upgrade. On our last Princess cruise, after many, many Princess cruises one of our tablemates who was a first time cruiser was upgraded from a balcony to a full suite, while we remained in our same mini-suite cabin. So in my opinion it is just luck of the draw, but for me it does add a little more anticipation about one's upcoming cruise!

We usually book a GTY or specify on the reservation that we are willing to accept an upgrade if one is available, but I have no idea if it helps to lure the upgrade fairy our way.

Debra

Winston Churchill

email: debra2106@yahoo.com
Old September 8th, 2008, 04:35 PM
Passenger

If you do get an upgrade, when do you find out about it?
Old September 8th, 2008, 08:42 PM
Familiar Face

Thanks for the input. We have sailed Princess 13 times. And have been upgraded twice. We have always had a room assignment. We are going on two short cruises this month. A three night and a one night. We just received notification of an upgrade on the one nighter.

We are very happy with Princess. They have been good to us over the years. We are lucky some of the time with the upgrade ferrie. 8)
Old September 9th, 2008, 09:19 AM
First Mate

Quote:
Thanks for the input. We have sailed Princess 13 times. And have been upgraded twice. We have always had a room assignment. We are going on two short cruises this month. A three night and a one night. We just received notification of an upgrade on the one nighter.
Most of our Princess cruises are for two or three weeks some for a month. When we wanted to introduce Princess cruising to our neighbours, we arranged a seven-day cruise with a guaranteed partially obstructed view. We were upgraded to balcony. Apart from our neighbours being most impressed, we had thought that it was our record of extended cruises that brought about the upgrade. Perhaps not.