CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums

CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/)
-   Princess Cruise Lines (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/princess-cruise-lines/)
-   -   Pooled tips? (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/princess-cruise-lines/356873-pooled-tips.html)

athos129 October 2nd, 2008 01:03 PM

Pooled tips?

If you tip your room steward or dinner waiters to they have to share that tip with others in their department or do they get to keep the entire tip?
Thanks

Irish Shark October 2nd, 2008 02:08 PM

All basic tips are pooled and shared.

If you tip the room steward extra, s/he is supposed to put it into the pool with the other tips. Do they really do it? I don't know.

ckfodor October 2nd, 2008 11:07 PM

We have assumed that the tips are pooled in the dining room.....

Kuki October 2nd, 2008 11:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Irish Shark

If you tip the room steward extra, s/he is supposed to put it into the pool with the other tips. Do they really do it? I don't know.

It's very difficult to tell what the real truth is. I think it depends who you talk to. I've been told by officers and staff alike that if the guests leave their "automatic" tips in place (to be pooled), and are then given additional tips over and above that directly from passengers, they are allowed to keep any amount above the automatic guidelines.

On the other hand if passengers remove their automatic tips, listing bad service in an area, the crew members are called on to explain.

If guests remove the automatic tips, and them tip some crew individually, they are expected to turn those over to the pool.

athos129 October 3rd, 2008 07:25 AM

Gee, somehow that just doesn't seem fair that if someone did an outstanding job and you reward them at the end of the cruise, that they would have to share that extra gratuitity with some workers who were maybe not as conscientious.

That would seem to take the incentive to do an outstanding job away if you can ride on the coat tails of go getters.

So if I understand correctly, ALL the auto tips are pooled? Besides the room stewards, waiters, bus boys, folks working the buffet, who else shares in the auto-tips?

Thank you all for your input.

Irish Shark October 3rd, 2008 12:07 PM

All the non-salary employees share in the tips. Even the ones in the laundry get a piece.

peggyann1216 October 22nd, 2008 12:22 PM

We always take the tip charges off our bill at the Purser's desk. We prefer to tip our "staff" personally for their service, which has always been TOPS on Princess. If they choose to pool their tip, that is their choice, but their tip is intended for their own personal pockets, and that's the way we want it to be.

Ron n Jon October 22nd, 2008 12:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by peggyann1216
... but their tip is intended for their own personal pockets, and that's the way we want it to be.

Perhaps that is the way it was some time ago when a gratuity was our way of saying thank you for good service. But that is not happening today. As in the current model in Europe, a charge is added to your bill, referred to as the "service charge" and that amount is allocated in certain percentages to each participating employee. Whether or not you pay your "tips" in cash or via your onboard account, everyone in the system is going to get his or her share, their actual service performance notwithstanding. That is why we should no longer refer to this practice as tipping.

Having accepted this fact many many cruises ago, our daily service charges are left in tact and we then practice rewarding those who have made our cruise more pleasant with a true gratuity. It is our understanding that as we do not alter the daily service charge on our account the recipient can and will keep our gratuity. However, it has been hinted that when we do present a gratuity to an employee we do so in private.

worthew8 October 22nd, 2008 05:43 PM

I, too, will keep the 'normal' gratuity charge in tact, keeping in mind I can reduce that gratuity for under-par service at the purser's desk. Providing an additional tip for service's above and beyond what is expected, is something I will do discreetly with the employee.

Also, I always fill out the 'comments' card presented to me at the end of the cruise to give praise of those who deserve it.

nmnita October 23rd, 2008 05:05 PM

Re: Pooled tips?

Quote:

Originally Posted by athos129
If you tip your room steward or dinner waiters to they have to share that tip with others in their department or do they get to keep the entire tip?
Thanks

My understanding and no one seems to be completely clear about this: if you keep the auto tip on your account and tip anyone for doing something special they keep the tips, if you have the auto tip removed and tip individually those who recieve the tips must pool them.

Nita :)

nmnita October 23rd, 2008 05:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kuki
Quote:

Originally Posted by Irish Shark

It's very difficult to tell what the real truth is. I think it depends who you talk to. I've been told by officers and staff alike that if the guests leave their "automatic" tips in place (to be pooled), and are then given additional tips over and above that directly from passengers, they are allowed to keep any amount above the automatic guidelines.

On the other hand if passengers remove their automatic tips, listing bad service in an area, the crew members are called on to explain.

If guests remove the automatic tips, and them tip some crew individually, they are expected to turn those over to the pool.

Kuki, that is exactly how I understand the tipping process as well :) .
Nita

Princesscruisers October 24th, 2008 10:48 PM

IF I GIVE THE ROOM STEWARD A TIP AT THE END OF THE CRUISE, AM I TO UNDERSTAND THAT HE HAS TO CHECK AND MAKE SURE THAT I KEPT THE AUTOMATIC GRATUITY ON MY BILL BEFORE HE CAN KEEP THE TIP AND NOT POOL IT?

jim130 October 28th, 2008 01:38 AM

If you tip extra the proper thing to do is give it to the individual in an envelope with your name and cabin number on it. If you have not removed your name from the auto tipping the person gets to keep it. If you have removed yourself from the auto tipping it goes into the pool. In my opinion those that remove their names probably stiff half the people that they should have tipped and unfortunately those people rely on tips for their livelihood. You cheap skates should be ashamed of yourselves.
Jim..

Princesscruisers October 28th, 2008 11:05 AM

I AGREE WITH YOU JIM. THE AUTOMATIC GRATUITY IS PART OF THE COST OF A VACATION. I JUST WOULDN'T WANT THE ROOM STEWARD TO HAVE TO POOL THE TIP THAT WE GIVE HIM AT THE END OF THE CRUISE. THANKS FOR CLEARING THAT UP FOR ME.