Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Princess Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old October 3rd, 2008, 12:28 AM
Familiar Face

Default What are the comparisons: Star vs Golden Princess Cruises

I have gone on four cruise ships on Carnival to the Caribbean. We had a great time. However, we are attempting to go to Alaska in May 2009. But I have a have a couple of questions for the past guests of Princess.

Which ship the Star or Golden is better? I haven't found too much of a difference as far as the specifics. But is there a better experience between the two?

We have traveled with the balcony before.. I assume it will be as nice or better than Carnival Conquest? Some have said that the balcony on the Princess ships do not have privacy at all?

Also, in May , how is the weather compared to the other times to sail? I know to take a jacket but I am a Texan and always hot and humid. Never been to Alaska or Seattle before.

What are THE excursions not to miss on those cruises. We do not really do alot of hiking/over exertion but do enjoy history, scenic tours that sorta activities. Thanks in advance...... NinaMarie
Sponsored Links
Old October 3rd, 2008, 08:34 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

I've been on both, pretty much the same, don't care for the layout, hard to get around, but once you get used to it, then its fine, but a bit of a hassle.

At the moment Star is in San Fran drydocked getting MOTS and a few other changes. I don't know if Golden already has it or not, but either ship is just fine, great food and service.

Message Boards Moderator
Old October 3rd, 2008, 02:49 PM
Passenger

We had a Baja deck balcony stateroom on the Golden.
The balcony affords SOME privacy, unless you are out to the rail. (about half of the balcony... the forward half is somewhat visible from the balconies below.)
I was able to get a bit of sun with no chance of being observed, on our balcony.

If you look at the deck plans, it appears that some of the more aft cabins have more private balconies, and the ones on the stern are private.
Old October 3rd, 2008, 02:54 PM
Admiral

Default Re: What are the comparisons: Star vs Golden Princess Cruise

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninamarie
Some have said that the balcony on the Princess ships do not have privacy at all?
The mini-suites on the Dolphin Deck are open with no cover.

SS Norway (12 times) '85 - '97; Radiance OS 06/01; Island Princess 11/04, Grand Princess 11/04/05, Golden Princess 7/21/06, Golden Princess 2/24/07, Explorer of the Seas 12/23/07, Island Princess 11/15/08
Old October 3rd, 2008, 06:02 PM
Beginner

I've been on the Star once and Golden twice, and they were pretty much the same ship. However, Star has been drydocked in SF for weeks now undergoing repairs and refurbishing. I spoke to someone at Princess today, and she said beginning with the 10/11 cruise to Mexico, MUTS will debut, as will a new international cuisine diner, adult-only sanctuary, and other amenities. So the Star will definitely be the better ship, until Golden undergoes these same fixes sometime next year. Also, Star has a roomier nightclub and larger lounges/bars. Star has a volleyball and basketball court; Golden does not. I am cruising on the Star on October 21 so it will be the second cruise after their relaunch.
Old October 3rd, 2008, 06:11 PM
First Mate

Ninamarie we went to Alaska in early May. We were actually the first ship in that year.

It was cold. We had drizzle in Juneau, alot of wind in Skagway, and actual sun in Ketchican. We were prepared, with lots of layers, knit caps, mittens, and waterproof shoes, so we were warm enough.

I had a ball----didn't have to worry about my hair getting frizzy---no one cared . Everyone had "hat hair".

DH, however, didn't so much like the cold. I had so much fun, and I have been trying to get him back there for 2 years. He doesn't fly, so the problem is getting there and back.

If I were to back, I would still go in May or June.

Pat

RCL Radiance
CCL Splendor
HAL Zaandam
CCL Elation
CCL Spirit
HAL Statendam 2x
HAL Ryndam 2x
Old October 4th, 2008, 12:46 AM
Familiar Face

Thanks all of you for your helpful hints....if everything goes well, we will be going around Mothers Day....

Also, we will be flying in from DFW to Seattle, any type of warnings as far as the shuttle/transfers ....I have never flown and then cruised before... I think that we might should go a day ahead to make sure that there are no delays?

ninamarie
Old October 4th, 2008, 12:01 PM
First Mate

Can't help you with the airport, but you will find that most of us agree that you should arrive a day early.

Pat

RCL Radiance
CCL Splendor
HAL Zaandam
CCL Elation
CCL Spirit
HAL Statendam 2x
HAL Ryndam 2x