Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Princess Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old October 24th, 2008, 11:20 AM
Beginner

Default Cruising the Amazon

Hi. My spouse and I are booked (April 10, 2009) on the Pacific Princess for the Amazon trip from Manaus, Brazil To Fort Lauderdale. We've been a number of places, but never to the Amazon area. Any enlightenment will be appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Old October 24th, 2008, 02:24 PM
Passenger

We'll be with you on this sailing. We're also doing the 3/27 Fort Lauderdale to Manaus. It will be our first time to be in this area. Should be very interesting.
Old October 24th, 2008, 05:43 PM
First Mate

You will never regret having chosen this cruise. We were mesmerized every knot of the way up the river. While we were aboard an Oceania sailing, we understand the new Princess ships are as elegant and as comfortable so you also have that to look forward to.

Other than the magnificent Opera House which is a must see, Manaus doesn't really have that much to offer in the way of sightseeing so it will be up to you to probe the culture and meet the people there. Our evening spent at a sidewalk cafe was such a pleasure, the locals being so friendly and sociable.

The prize of this trip is Parintins. Do not miss the abridged re-enactment of their Festival Folclorico de Parintins. So many of our fellow passengers did not understand the significance of this show and when told of its delights were moved to tears in having missed it. Do purchase the DVD that is offered for you will not be able to adequately describe this cultural event to family and friends. And en route to and/or from the show venue do look for a studio of an artist named Stevao Manuel on the main street leading to this event. His work in oil of the Brazilian culture landscape and wildlife which we are fortunate enough to have acquired is offered for sale at the most reasonable rates.
Old October 25th, 2008, 11:39 AM
Beginner

Thanks, coo359a2, for letting usknow you'll be on the ship when we get on ourselves. Hope to see you there.

Kudos, also, to Ron n Jon. You can be assured we'll research and follow-up on the Festival Floclorico de Parintins. Already we feel like the trip is just around the corner.
Old January 21st, 2009, 06:02 PM
Admiral

Default You are not alone

YOU ARE NOT ALONE!! Triton and Parrot Pop and I will be joining you on the 4/10 cruise.. Just picked up some great info..
Old January 28th, 2009, 09:53 AM
Beginner

Hi Parrot Mom et al, Glad to have you onboard. Missed what you just discovered. What is it? Just sent off for our visas. Expensive! If we are flying directly from US on way down, do we need Yellow Fever shots? Haven't gottena straight answer yet.
Old January 28th, 2009, 10:21 AM
Admiral

Default FLYING RIGHT DOWN

OH YES!! all the documents from Princess say you will not be allowed on the ship unless you have your Yellow Fever shots and Brazilian Visas.. Just read somewhere else that over 100 people were not allowed on another cruise ship in Brazil. We are waiting for the return of our Visas from the Embassy/Consulate in Boston which we heard is an absolute zoo.. As for the yellow fever shots if you write me I'll send you the site where you can fiind them for less $$ at the local CDC.. The ship is not full...Now waiting to see if we are upgraded and our luggage tags, but we downloaded all the info and on page #5 "My important notices"... they tell you that you need the shots..
parrotmom@verizon.net
Old January 28th, 2009, 11:19 AM
Beginner

Hi, Thanks for the info. We'll get our shots soon. Can get them here in Tampa. Haven't selected any excursions yet, have you?
Old January 28th, 2009, 11:27 AM
Passenger

Just be sure and get your yellow fever no later than 10 days before you cruise. Must take the 10 days to become effective.

Still trying to decide whether or not to get the malaria medicine. Don't care for the side effects or the length you have to take them - even taking the Malarone which seems to have the least side effects and days to take them.
Old January 28th, 2009, 01:13 PM
Admiral

Default Excursions/Shots

Booked the Amazon cruise the next day.. the one that is 6-7 hours during the day light.. and when we arrive and meet up with Merman we wil go and see the Opera House and the Iron Market which is one of the reasons we booked this trip. The only other trip we booked was the aeral ride in i think Dominica.. St,. Lucia we went to on one of our first cruises 20 years ago and I have a parrot shirt that I bought at a very famous batik shop there and I want to go back... St. b arts is too expensive and we will just walk around. Boca da Valeria..will bring items for the kids in the school. From what I understand it will be the highlight of the trip.. it reminds me of our stop years ago in the San Blas Islands.. in Boca there are only 75 or 100 people... and the kids lead you around..for "a dolla' ..lol. So, I'll pick up stuff at the "dolla" store here and take it with me..Devils Island you just walk around. As for the shots will be seeing our M.D. mid-February and then the CDC has office hours on that Tuesday so we will go right in and get shots and possibly Tetanus and what meds I dont know..
Old January 31st, 2009, 08:26 AM
Beginner

SHOTS TO BRAZIL: I'm going out of FtL round trip to Manaus on Feb27. Bd/Health told me I did not need a yellow fever shot because I had one within the past ten years. Was told to ask my primary doctor if I should take a malaria medication: Yes. I'll be taking DOXYCYCLINE as prescribed before and after the trip.
Old January 31st, 2009, 08:33 AM
Admiral

Default Cruise

You also need a Brazilian Visa....
Old February 1st, 2009, 11:49 AM
Captain

Default We're going too-

We'll be making the trip also and looking forward to meeting new faces. Having sailed primarily on Celebrity, this will be an experience for us.

Went into the Brazilian Consulate on Wednesday to turn in our Visa application, et.al and should be ready for pick up on February 9. The process was easy.

Downloaded our e-tickets and just received the luggage tags...now its time for the YF vaccination.

Our doc didn't recommend a malaria Rx.
Old February 1st, 2009, 12:03 PM
Admiral

Default VISAS

Ours just came back with the luggage tags and info on specific trips from Princess.. have downloaded all the info and tickets.. now the YF shot providing no snow storm on the 17th...may add tetnus to it.. See you on the ship.. so far I'm near the laundry room. Hoping to get upgraded to mini-suite or (I should be so lucky) suite..lol