Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Princess Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old November 2nd, 2008, 02:31 PM
Beginner

Default Hawaii on Princess Golden

Just returned for our trip of Oct 15 to Oct 29 on Princess Golden Stateroom D722. The weather was perfect and the trip was good other than the stateroom. When we boarded the ship and entered our room D722 we immediately smelled the odor of raw sewage coming from the bathroom, the cabin steward was notified and he re cleaned the bathroom however it did not eliminate the terrible smell. It was determined that the smell was coming up from the bathtub drain, a report was filed but we were told nothing could be done and we would have to live with it. Our own resolve was to engaged the bathtub plug and leave water in the tub to cover the plug and block the smell (it worked). The poor attitude of the Princess Management Team and their lack of any assistance in trying to help us makes future voyages with this line questionable.
Sponsored Links
Old November 2nd, 2008, 04:43 PM
Familiar Face

I'm sorry this happened to you. We're considering a round trip LA to Hawaii cruise and will definitely not book a room in that area of the ship. We sailed on the Diamond 4 x and absolutely loved her. Wish she was making the LA to Hawaii trip!
Old November 2nd, 2008, 08:54 PM
Familiar Face

Sorry to hear that you had such a hard time with your cabin. That would have upset me as well. We will be sailing on the Golden to Hawaii in March. I'm with you Pixie - I wish it were the Diamond as well.

Kathy~

Read and post cruise reviews
Old November 29th, 2008, 05:09 PM
Beginner

Send a message via Yahoo to DEX

We are off to Hawaii 2/4/09 room A-255 OUR 1ST TIME CRUISE
Old November 29th, 2008, 08:19 PM
Cruise Maniac

Did the odor last your entire 14 day cruise?

We've never experienced it on Princess before, but did experience a sewage smell in the hallway of a Carnival ship.
Old December 2nd, 2008, 03:22 PM
Beginner

We were on the cruise to Hawaii the same time you were and were really disappointed in the attitude of the cruise staff. We have cruised Princess, 2 other times and the staff was great both times. On the Golden the attitude was as if they did not want to be there and wait on people. On the other cruises, we never had to serve ourselves coffee or juice in the morning. There was a cart going up and down between the tables offering coffee or juice. Even the people at the purser's desk were not very friendly especially the white, English fellow. On my evaluation form I mentioned my dissatisfaction with the service but no one has gotten back to me. Even the food was not as good as on other ships.
Don't judge all Princess ships with this one experience. Some do have very responsible and helpful people.
Perhaps the $10.50 that is added to each person's bill each day is making the staff rather lazy. We have that taken off our bill and tip only the ones we have received good service from.
We still plan to cruise Princess next summer to Alaska. Hopefully the staff is better.
Old December 4th, 2008, 05:44 PM
Beginner

TRAV 123 would there be that much differance in service between D 722 an A 255? we cruise out 2/4/09 after flight to LA from Atlanta

DEX _ DONNA

ps. WE need all good INFO our 1ST TIME, an carry on camera's and liqior
Old December 6th, 2008, 11:16 AM
Beginner

Sounds like you solved the problem for your room on the trip. Hope we get a friendly staff on our 2/4 Hawaii trip(A230 to the party in A255).So far we have always had an excellent crew.
There may be something to the auto tipping,doesn't lend to a try harder attitude . Sometimes people just have bad days.
Counting down the days,December will go fast but Jan. may be slow depending on the weather here in Ohio.
Old December 6th, 2008, 03:58 PM
Beginner

<<<<DEX an DONNA needs lots of info that you have for us, our 1st time, cameras ,liquior, carry on, dressing, more questions to come im sure,, see yall 2/4/09 after flight from Atlanta to LA , waiting on our passports( filed those 12/2/08 ) A 255
Old January 4th, 2009, 06:44 PM
Beginner

I JUST RETURNED FROM A HAWAII CRUISE ON THE GOLDEN PRINCESS AND WAS ON BAJA DECK , ON THE STARBOARD SIDE ABOUT MID SHIP AND HAD NO PROBLEMS. I CAN UNDERSTAND YOUR FEELINGS BUT DON;T LET THIS ONE EXPERIENCE RUIN YOUR EXPERIENCE ON THESE LOVELY SHIPS. HOPE YOU GIVE THEM ANOTHER CHANCE BEFORE YOU WRITE THEM OFF??

BARBARA
Old January 18th, 2009, 10:46 AM
Beginner

Default we are leaving to hawaii 2/4/9

Quote:
Originally Posted by BARBARA TRAVELER
I JUST RETURNED FROM A HAWAII CRUISE ON THE GOLDEN PRINCESS AND WAS ON BAJA DECK , ON THE STARBOARD SIDE ABOUT MID SHIP AND HAD NO PROBLEMS. I CAN UNDERSTAND YOUR FEELINGS BUT DON;T LET THIS ONE EXPERIENCE RUIN YOUR EXPERIENCE ON THESE LOVELY SHIPS. HOPE YOU GIVE THEM ANOTHER CHANCE BEFORE YOU WRITE THEM OFF??

BARBARA
we will be in --A 255 balcony, reckon we will see any wales?? its our 1st cruise and trip to Hawaii. and would that be the starboard side also? gonna be a fun 14days
Old January 18th, 2009, 08:22 PM
Familiar Face

You won't see any whales while on your way to Hawaii but can see plenty around Maui. Make sure you book a whale watching excursion thru the ship or with Captain Steve. (You can google him and find out the info online.) I did the latter and we got closer to the whales and saw more of them than the ship excursion.

Finding the dock for this was tricky. I took a cab from the dock in Lahaina just to find it since it was not marked. It was really walking distance; about a mile, and I did walk back to the Lahaina dock after the tour.

You will love this cruise and Hawaii. It's the only way to go there.
Old January 19th, 2009, 10:04 AM
Familiar Face

You'll see a lot of whales while in the islands. One good tip for spotting them from your balcony or the deck while nearing port--watch where the whale watching boats are.
Old January 23rd, 2009, 01:42 PM
Familiar Face

We saw a mother and calf surfacing in front of us as we pulled in to Hilo. It was absolutely amazing. And we saw a pod following us out of the channel in Maui. There are very acclimated to cruise ships.

Watch for the dolphins keeping pace w/the ship while you are moving. It was dark when we left LA but have seen them frequently leaving FT Lauderdale going down the coast. We saw several dolphins in the Inside Passage on our Alaska cruise. Only saw one whale on a whale watching excursion as it was early May and they were still in transit. Saw lots going North while we were going South.
Old January 26th, 2009, 02:22 PM
Beginner

Hi, I am new to this forum and cruising on 1 April 09 from LA to Hawaii on the Diamond Princess for my 50th birthday. I have been reading some very negative reports about the ship - service, quality of food etc and becoming very nervous. Has anyone any good reports to put me at ease.

Thanks

Lesley - London, England
Old January 26th, 2009, 06:23 PM
Familiar Face

Hello Leslie: we've sailed on the Diamond 3 times over the past 5 years and would do so again in a heartbeat. Service was excellent and we had no complaints regarding quality of food. The location of the traditional dining room is a little akward, but after a meal or two we found our bearing. We had a stateroom on Baja deck twice and once on Caribe deck, midship. Our cabin stewards did an excellent job of keeping the ice bucket filled, kept a fresh supply of towels twice a day, and delivered fresh fruit to our cabin when we filled out the request card daily.

When we cruise, our only expectation is to relax and enjoy ourselves, and we've never been disappointed.

I'm sure you'll love the Diamond. We certainly do! Happy cruising!
Old January 26th, 2009, 07:07 PM
Beginner

Default Golden Princess

Hi Pixie Dust, my husband has just reminded me we are on the Golden Princess and not the Diamond! Have you sailed on the Golden, apparently it will be going into drydock for a refurb after our trip.

Lesley - London, England
Old January 26th, 2009, 09:15 PM
Familiar Face

Yes, we cruised to Alaska on the Golden in 2007. She's the same class ship as the Diamond, only a little older. Layout of both ships are basically the same. Feel free to send me a PM (private message) if you have any other questions. We're sailing on the Sapphire in 3 weeks. I can hardly wait!
Old January 27th, 2009, 11:39 AM
Beginner

Thank you Pixie Dust. Have a great time
Lesley